Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm making several gongs on portable stands and wonder what's the best way you hang them. I drilled 2 - 3/8" holes in each and wonder if cable, chain, or heavy rubber strips are better.

Got any suggestion on straps and stands to shoot high power at them?

Thanks in advance.
H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just have some stoopid imbred like boxer hold it.

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
You may be onto something there.... Does anyone have a ex-wife or mother-in-law to volunteer?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some shooting buddies have a range with a bunch of gongs at various ranges and they went with just rope. Their theory you can shoot through chain too but its cheaper quicker and less hastle to retie or replace rope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used fire hose.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think the person who changed the thread title likes his well-hung.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just use rubber to be safe. My dong hangs just fine.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I bent up a steel frame made out of 12mm steel bar and welded two pieces of chain to it, my gongs are 40 mm steel I just get them as off cuts from the lazer cutter and get him to blow a hole in them then I hang the gong off the chain with a shackle

I made a few up

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ocean_Raider
I bent up a steel frame made out of 12mm steel bar and welded two pieces of chain to it, my gongs are 40 mm steel I just get them as off cuts from the lazer cutter and get him to blow a hole in them then I hang the gong off the chain with a shackle

I made a few up

And I thought I was the only person leveraging drop steel from my work place!

40MM... that should be thick enough to keep most bullets from going through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a cut and paste from a post I made a couple years ago.

The basic setup - bent 1/2" thick rebar with strips cut from a mud flap holding the target. Make a couple holes in the ground and put the target legs in. The stake has been painted at 8, 10 and 12 inches to see how deep the hole is.

The rubber is 2" X 12" long strips cut from a semi-trailer mud flap I picked up at a truck supply store for $8. One mudflap makes a couple dozen straps. Those straps will take a lot of bullet hits and still hold.

This whole thing picks up and fits in the back of the car.

[Linked Image]

The back with details of the u-bolts. Those are wing nuts but the shock of bullets hitting that target already snapped off one wing on each so I replaced them with regular nuts. The bolts are hardened and will take a lot of abuse.

The little clamp things on the rebar are doohickeys for electric wires. The ubolts tend to slide toward the center of the top frame and cause the target to swing around the vertical axis too much, so these hold the straps apart to prevent that and let it swing straight back and forth.

But I have long since replaced those clamps with duct tape wound around the bar. It works just as well, is a lot cheaper and doesn't come loose.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You drilled holes in your plates?

Elaborate

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have my wife hold it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They came pre-drilled. I bought several different sizes of AR500 hardened steel plates from JCVibby here on the fire. He occasionally runs a sale on them with the proceeds benefiting a kid's school or class. (sorry, JCV, I forgot the details so you'll have to fill in that part.)

On the straps - they take a lot of direct hits, but I've noticed that if you catch just the edge of the target with a bullet in front of a strap, so that half the bullet is turned into shrapnel, it will cut through a strap like a hot knife through butter. Doesn't happen very often and the straps will hold even with 75-80% of the width shot away, but just mentioning it. I always keep some extra straps with me and a wrench, it only takes a couple of minutes to change one out if you kill one.

I started with hardened steel chain but quickly learned one of the immutable facts of the Universe. Although target hangers only occupy 3% of the entire area of the target setup, they will take at least 25% of the hits. shocked A bullet will cut through a hardened steel link like nothing, the rubber will not resist the bullet but will absorb the hits. There's a Zen lesson in that... wink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Baler belt works great. But anymore I just use twine, as I have about 750 miles of it laying around. If I shoot through it replacement is easy, quick, and free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of stuff will work for hanging the target but the easy and quick replacement is key as anything standing down range will get shot to pieces eventually. If it's free that's even better!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Jim!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh gong, my bad.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The strapping from mudflaps that Jim mentioned is awesome, if you like to hang 'em. But those t post brackets from JC Steel are the slickest system out there. Hanging steel does make a purtier sound when hit, though.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ok. Since you brought up the topic of sound, I have a question. When it shoot my steel gongs, there is hardly a ping. Certainly not the sound that all the you tube videos show when hit. I am rather disappointed. Any suggestions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1/2" or 3/8"

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.