Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
It sounds to me like it's time for the chap to just leave town and get a fresh start.

A whole lot easier said than done. Especially, if one is confined to quarters due to a felony court ruling. And of course the family ties might be all the person in question has, which matters greatly. Especially, in the South.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by iambrb

To the individuals that stated move and make a new start, that might at first seem to make sense, but the issue is their only familial support network is here and a minor child is involved, so being able to move is not as easy as at first perceived.

You need money to live. That's priority #1, always and forever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Forgiveness and trust are two different things.

Just an FYI.

Travis

Big time YUP!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by byc
And of course the family ties might be all the person in question has,

I'd advise an individual to correct that. Quick.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As there are peeps on here that live in this area, I just cannot/will not say what happened enuff to figure any of it out, suffice to say the individual took money over time, and that can add up, and trust me, it did. This person has a degree froma prestigious Southeastern school, and is multi-lingual....and Mcdonalds will not hire them. Wal-mart 3rd shift stock either, they tried. You can oly handout fish for so long, and it sure can be hard to give a fishing pole when society keeps breaking the pole!

To the individuals that sated move and make a new start, that might at first seem to make sense, but the issue is their only familial support network is here and a minor child is involved, so being able to move is not as easy as at first perceived.

That makes no sense. McDonalds may not hire him to manage a location, but they'll hire him to cook fries.

He can find a job. It just may not be the job he wants.

Travis

Trav, I agree it makes no sense, but at the McDonalds in this area, being convicted of a money-handling crime here in SC means you are skeeee-rewed with them, which is odd, since they do hire out of 2 major prisons in the area...go figure

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
And of course the family ties might be all the person in question has,

I'd advise an individual to correct that. Quick.

Travis

Can't argue with that either.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Trav, I agree it makes no sense, but at the McDonalds in this area, being convicted of a money-handling crime here in SC means you are skeeee-rewed with them, which is odd, since they do hire out of 2 major prisons in the area...go figure

Well then tell him to try Taco Bell, or a factory, or a job placement center (they've seen it all) or tell him to sell weed under a viaduct.

Do something. Even if it's wrong. Do something.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Who needs forgiveness. The shallow people of today's society will forget this person's sins or humilation rather quickly.

Our society is me-first, apathetic, agoraphobic, complacent and just too lazy to remember to not grant forgiveness. Hell, they've forgotten 911.

Only a super-hero dickweed 'Christian' would harbor a lasting grudge of proportions large enough to stymie man's resolve to get on with his life. Unless you got some bitch trying to "cindy sheehan" a brotha and keep him down.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Depends on the situation and the crime.

For instance...

I have a sibling that is in deep kimchee for committing and trying to commit very heinous crimes.

Do I forgive him? Of course.

However, I understand that he is a sociopath and some things are unlikely to change. My concern is for his needs... he needs to be out of society and he needs a lot therapy to even have a slim chance of being healthy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bcolorado

However, I understand that he is a sociopath

I had a superior call me that. I had to google it.

Not very complimentary.

Travis

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As there are peeps on here that live in this area, I just cannot/will not say what happened enuff to figure any of it out, suffice to say the individual took money over time, and that can add up, and trust me, it did. restitution, the term I could not come up with earlier, completely wiped them out. This person has a degree from a prestigious Southeastern school, and is multi-lingual....and Mcdonalds will not hire them. Wal-mart 3rd shift stock either, they tried. You can only handout fish for so long, and it sure can be hard to give a fishing pole when society keeps breaking the pole!

To the individuals that stated move and make a new start, that might at first seem to make sense, but the issue is their only familial support network is here and a minor child is involved, so being able to move is not as easy as at first perceived.

I know folks in this area who landed jobs with what appear to be more severe rulings than your buddy. Are you looking to attain community forgiveness for this person or a new beginning/restart? Two entirely different objectives.

Again, I'm willing to assist as I have done in the past with others. In fact, I'm even helping (with a certain other Fire good guy) a couple of folks to expunge their bad history. But community forgiveness is up to he or she.

Go Nats!!!!

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey byc, thanks, I will PM you shortly related tot his and some other stuff too. FWIW, they was a restart, not community forgiveness

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bcolorado

However, I understand that he is a sociopath

I had a superior call me that. I had to google it.

Not very complimentary.

Travis
\\

No it's not.

He nails 8 of the top ten indicators.

Sure is able to fool a lot of folks, some for years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My fundamentalist bible thumping neighbor hasn't forgiven a soul in her life and is quick to scoff at catholics going to confession but ain't askeered to be "born again" when her transgressions become known.

Hope it comes to a just ending for your families friend.

Denny.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pffft!!!!

McDonalds??? Screw that.

If i was a felon, I would get in with a roofing crew, block layers, land scapers.... Along that line.

In just a few months, a with a ladder and a pickup truck could strike out on his own, knock neighborhood doors and sell gutter cleanings, ventilation jobs, roof patches,minor exterior painting work.

Mthfkers are lazy. They will pay a handyman to do all these things.
$200-300 a day easily for 4-6 hours work. Almost no overhead.

Hell any moron can cut and sell firewood. Make $200 a day cutting and delivering that chit.

Fugga a bunch of burger flippin for some POS GED NOO sassy mouf idiot shift manager at mickey dees

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree. Jobs like roofing, lawn care, etc. Lots of money to be made.

Travis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think the hardest part for someone trying to restart is living with the scrutiny they will be under at work and in life in general if it is a smaller community and being able to come out on top.

I am not sure that most of us would be able to be squeaky clean under such scrutiny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, so a friend of our family is going thru a tough situation right now. They committed & were convicted of a crime. Although not violent, because of the nature of it, it was splashed all over local and state papers, and was kept front page here for an unusually long time. As such, this person cannot get help of ANY type here, save a small amount from our church, and handouts from the ex. amazing that in this day and age, a person worries DAILY about getting just two meals per day, not to mention the other very basic things of life.

So my question is, really, SERIOUSLY, when is this person forgiven? Not by Jesus, but by society? When they are dead? When they are starved to nothing, and then dead? When they become so desperate that they commit a crime, and then become prisoners / de-facto wards of the state?

Really would like some serious answers to this, thanks

I work with ex-offenders all the time.

"Society" will never forgive an ex-offender, because ex-offenders are one of a politician's favorite horses to ride into office. An ex-offender somewhere will re-offend, and a politician will say, "We've got to keep these scum in prison longer to make sure this never happens again." That's a completely logic-free argument, of course, but politicians don't need to make logical arguments, only emotional ones.

A politician who rides rich people ("...need to pay their fair share!") into office finds out that rich people have a lot of political power. A politician who rides old people into office finds out that old people have a lot of political power. But a politician who rides criminals into office discovers that criminals can't vote, so it's a consequence-free situation.

Stupid arguments, inconsistent arguments, false arguments, doesn't matter: as long as it makes prisoners the bad guys, nobody is going to stick up for them, and it's real easy to make folks believe that if a criminal was bad in one way at one time, he's bad in all ways at all times. (For example, there are probably a bunch of folks right here on the Campfire who believe that, on the basis of no direct experience, just emotional propaganda from politicians and their media lackeys.)

It could be argued that this is an unjust situation, but regardless of how that argument turns out, the fact of the matter is that it's the way things are, and the way things are is what we have to deal with in real life. Whining about it won't help; spending a lot of time designing ways for other people to change their thinking won't help. One must play the hand one is dealt.

My experience with ex-offenders is that their success rate is abysmally low unless they get support on the outside--and not government or government-funded support. The government can't do it--and I'm not talking here about government incompetence or government corruption or even government indifference. I'm saying that the way government programs must by law be set up, they're necessarily ineffective or counterproductive when it comes to support for ex-offenders.

So...I'd recommend that you find a charitable organization that ministers especially to ex-offenders to get your friend hooked up with. Find a place that has a rule against giving "material support" to ex-offenders (that is, money, clothing, housing, etc.), but will do things like counseling, job-search assistance, mentoring, and accountability grouping.

I'd further recommend that you avoid giving your friend material support, just as a non-personal matter of practice. It can be really really tempting, but it's a very quick way to get conned out of all your resources and have important relationships destroyed. Offer a listening ear, wise advice, and an open heart, not money.

Maybe some irregular transportation (that is, to job interviews but not regularly to work), or even some temporary shelter. Temporary! Have him sleep on the couch or on the floor, and make him tear down his bedding every morning and set it up again every night. An occasional meal, if it's appropriate. But nothing regular, and no money under any circumstances.

On the dark side, there's the fact that your friend will need to look for a job in a completely different manner than he's used to, because almost nobody will hire an ex-offender, and--especially if he used to be white-collar--he'll probably have to enter an entirely new line of work.

On the bright side is the fact that there are a few employers out there who recognize that the right ex-offender can make an excellent employee, because 1) he's grateful to have the opportunity of a job, 2) he knows that if he gets fired he's unlikely to find another job, and 3) he'll work harder for less money than a non-ex-offender.

Good luck to you and your friend.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As there are peeps on here that live in this area, I just cannot/will not say what happened enuff to figure any of it out, suffice to say the individual took money over time, and that can add up, and trust me, it did. restitution, the term I could not come up with earlier, completely wiped them out. This person has a degree from a prestigious Southeastern school, and is multi-lingual....and Mcdonalds will not hire them. Wal-mart 3rd shift stock either, they tried. You can only handout fish for so long, and it sure can be hard to give a fishing pole when society keeps breaking the pole!

This is quite a bit different from how it sounded at first! Anyone can get in a spot and some might break the law to get out of it but this now sounds like these folks had everything going for them. Prestigious Southeastern schools aren't cheap and it sounds like they had family that would help if they needed it! Sounds to me like this is just greed pure and simple! A silver spoon child that got caught!! Hell he ought to get into politics! They reward criminals with promotions!

Kinda pisses me off now that I told ya my story! I thought it would help someone who'd been crushed by life but it turns out to be a silver spoon that got caught! Good luck with your quest but I'll bet he'll be stealing again before long!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
First this person needs a job, any job! Looking for handouts won't help people to forgive. All they will see is someone still trying to get something for nothing (thief).

Second this person needs to be in a good church every time the doors are opened. Let the community see repentance and that they are trying to be a better person. Salvation and repentance would be first but that's a subject in itself.

Third this person needs to be giving to the community in every way possible. In effect sowing seeds for a harvest of good will. Mow some grass for free. Pick up trash off the street. In general just be a blessing to anyone and everyone possible. When good seeds are sown they will produce a good harvest.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,061
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.