Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking to replace my mess kit. Any thoughts on whether to go with aluminum or stainless steel? My current thoughts are to go with stainless steel with the copper coated type bottoms for heat transfer and stainless steel for ease of cleaning. I saw some Stansport and Texsport ones for around $25 in a basic 3 piece set. Anybody have an experiences with these? I'm guessing you get what you pay for and these what stand up to the test of time??

Last edited by jcolby; 04/27/14.

Jared
GB1

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you carry a traditional mess kit for a reason? There are more weight efficient cooking gear set ups to carry. Regardless, if you are carrying it on your back, aluminum. Neither brand you mention is exactly top tier. I'm fond of GSI gear for quality, aluminum cookware.

jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm using the term mess kit more in a generic term, really I'm just needing a pot and a pan or 2 to fit in a compact package. It's not needing to be the traditional military mess kit setup. If I could get a cup and utensils to all fit in that same compact package, all the more better.

Jared
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try Snow Peak mess kits.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jcolby
I'm using the term mess kit more in a generic term, really I'm just needing a pot and a pan or 2 to fit in a compact package. It's not needing to be the traditional military mess kit setup. If I could get a cup and utensils to all fit in that same compact package, all the more better.

I have a couple of different set ups, one in stainless steel and cooper coated bottoms..IMHO, the copper coating doesn't make the slightest difference..In fact, I'd say your far better to allow the outside of the utensils black up...

One set I have just bought on recommendation from somebody here is the Stanley Adventure Cook set, which is stainless steel. It comes with two double walled plastic cups which nest inside.
[Linked Image]

I use just the one cup, and find can I put a Primus gas stove and an inverted MSR gas cartridge into the "pot" and still get the lid on, which makes a nice compact set for hiking ect and is relatively cheap. To finish off my set up, I need to knock up a foil wind shield when I get a minute or two..

If you search on Youtube there are a few reviews of it..

The Stanley pot will also apparently nest inside a GSI stainless cup, and should you want to brew up using this cup, the Stanley lid will also fit the GSI cup.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 04/27/14.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
SS for vehicle use. Ti if I have to carry it. Nothing wrong with Al but they get beat up PDQ. My Ti MSR kettle has been used a bunch and is dent free.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Only choose aluminum if you value gastro distress over price. Stainless or titanium all the way

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What gastro distress does hard anodized aluminum cause? Just curious as I used it for years before my first ti pot and haven't noticed a difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCH
What gastro distress does hard anodized aluminum cause? Just curious as I used it for years before my first ti pot and haven't noticed a difference.

Over the years, I've used mess tins, water bottles, mess kits as well as saucepans at home all made from ordinary aluminium with no ill effects..The only thing I'd avoid is cooking anything too acidic.

The use of Aluminium for eating utensils was thought to be linked to Alzheimer's, but that has been discredited now...

These days, I tend to use SS a lot, but I don't have an issue using aluminium as required..

Last edited by Pete E; 04/27/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Anodized should not be an issue. However I have heard aluminum kits that have not been used for a long time, can cause issue. I suspect non anodized.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There aren't a whole lot of non-anodized/coated options in the quality aluminum department. The weight to cost ratio is tough to beat. Again, if you're car camping, it doesn't much matter except most camping grade stainless doesn't distribute heat as evenly as aluminum, so I stick with aluminum for that as well.

jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ti, now I didn't even think about that. That's probably the cream of the crop. I wonder if there are any negatives to Ti camp cookware?

Jared
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jcolby
I wonder if there are any negatives to Ti camp cookware?

No.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First thing is ... do you really need a mess kit?

I used to do most of my hiking in late spring while it was still fairly damp and again into deer season when it was again damp. It was no issue to have a camp fire. As I've moved into deep summer for more hiking and have to consider complete bans on any fires, I've moved to a gas stove. With the pot that comes with the stove, there's no need to also carry a mess kit. I carry one or the other but not both. I find the convenience of the gas stove great enough that I generally cook with it now even when it is ok to have a campfire. My old aluminum mess kit hasn't been on the trail in at least 5 years.

However, if I were looking at a mess kit .. or just dishes .. I'd get titanium for cookware and probably hard light plastic to eat on.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_O_M
First thing is ... do you really need a mess kit?

What I feel that I need is a pan, a pot, a cup, a utensil and preferably but not necessary is a plate. The pan for frying fish, pot for water, rice and the such. I need it to all be as compact as possible for fitting into pack. For instance, last weekend we boated down the river snagging paddle fish. Camped on the side of the river, fried fish, rice, vegetables and the such. While being on a boat and not hiking, it was still beneficial to have a kit in as very compact package.

Last edited by jcolby; 04/28/14.

Jared
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This would be a good set to keep in your pack.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/snow_peak-3-piece-titanium-cookware.aspx

I assume you want the pan because you use a stove? If not, and you use an open fire, I use something similar to this. Mine is titanium also.

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Have you ever seen a trout cooked to this level of perfection?

[Linked Image]

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's obviously a carp......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shhh...

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You fed that to Ingwe?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1minute, 1_deuce, 280fan, 27 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,337
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.