Print Thread
Hop To
D
ddurst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm getting listed for a lung transplant at Ochsner's in New Orleans. Had all the necessary tests to qualify and waiting for insurance to man up and say they will pay the bills. I would like to talk with someone who has gone through this just to answer a few questions about what to expect. Not really looking for sympathy just some insight. I have idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and am on oxygen most of the time. Anyone have any insight as to recovery time etc.?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, sorry you are having to go through this. Does not sound like much fun. No knowledge or experience here, but best wishes to you!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My mother-in-law had a lung transplant 5 years ago and is doing GREAT. Se was in the hospital a month, but had a few early complications. She stayed in Aurora, Colorado for two more months following release from the hospital. She had the surgery at the University of Colorado Anschutz Hospital in Aurora.

Shoot me a PM with your number if you'd like and I can pass it on to her. I think she'd be willing to visit with you.

Mike
D
ddurst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks PM sent.
Donald

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Prayers and best wishes for a successful procedure.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a friend who, at age 66, had a double lung transplant. Lots of meds and such involved, but overall he's doing very well. Surgery took place four years ago.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good fortune DD. I'm sorry to hear about the p. f. Do they say what your chances of getting a lung is?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a liver transplant last September. Blew dove season!

Recovery is slow to get back to full strength. But you'll be up and around in short order. Do what the Docs say and you'll be fine.

You'll take the anti-rejection meds to the day you die, but that's no big deal.

God is great and life is good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope with all the members here, you find the right connection that gives you some helpful info to put some rest to your wonderings.

There are a few of us here that await the precious blessings of renewed physical life through organ donation.

D
ddurst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the replies. Doctor says it could be any day or over a year waiting but to expect 3-6 months. One of the real bummers to deal with is the fact a donor has to die for this to happen. All my other organs are in good condition so I am hopeful I can get through this. Haven't been able to hunt or shoot for 2 years,
maybe I can start back doing the things I enjoyed all my life.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend,

Again, I am a liver recipient of less than a year ago. Been there. I'm still there.

Do yourself a favor and don't think about the donor "having to die". He/she did not "have" to die. For whatever the future reason, he just did. Your mental and spiritual state is important. Don't dwell on death. Death is the ultimate downer. Think, speak, act nothing but life!

You will owe a life long debt of gratitude but nothing more. My advice, as a recipient myself, is to let it all rest with God.

Your donor yet lives. Pray for him and his family. For peace and grace in the time to come. For fulfillment and love in the time that remains. For his salvation if not already secure.

I know the name of my donor, have exchanged letters with her mother, and hope to meet her soon. I think of her every day and say a prayer for her. She is now my mother, too.

You will be changed by the experience. It's impossible not to be. For me, the physical struggles were nothing. The spiritual has been everything.

I hope all my FIRE buddies are signed up to be donors. You cannot fathom the blessing you can give to others.

I ramble too much. I'll shut up now!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just re-read your last post about your potential waiting period.

After I was officially on the list, I was offered a liver in 2-hours and rolled into surgery 6 hours later! That's got to be some sort of record!

D
ddurst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Geezer, I appreciate your insight. I don't dwell on the fact that someone will die before their lungs become mine but it is something I think about. Your waiting period for transplant was if not a record, close.
I have been an organ donor for nearly 40 years and I encourage everyone to consider becoming donors.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Prayers and best wishes for a successful procedure.
+1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ddurst
I'm getting listed for a lung transplant at Ochsner's in New Orleans. Had all the necessary tests to qualify and waiting for insurance to man up and say they will pay the bills. I would like to talk with someone who has gone through this just to answer a few questions about what to expect. Not really looking for sympathy just some insight. I have idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and am on oxygen most of the time. Anyone have any insight as to recovery time etc.?

First of all, prayers are coming your way.
20+ years ago my sister underwent a single lung transplant. She ,I believe was the first successful single lung in the country.
Hers was done at Pittsburg Presp.
It was a painful ordeal for her and a long recovery.
I know medical advancements have made this a routine deal. Not like it was.
Your biggest concern will be the pemanant anti-rej medication.
You will need to be careful of infections.
My sister passed away a few years later from complications.
Keep in mind this was experimental at the time hers was done, many advancments have been made since.
Good luck with your ordeal, It's pretty routine now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an aunt that had a transplant due to pulmonary fibrosis a few years ago. She was 72 at the time. Her results were mixed, but it did extend her life and she was able actually breathe well for the first time in years afterward.

Mind you, at 72, she was in reasonably good health, but was a marginal transplant candidate due to some other minor health problems.

Her surgery was done at UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh. Good facility and a pioneering transplant hospital. She finally succumbed to complications of the transplant about 5 years post op.

The best advice that I can offer you is to ask any and every question that occurs to you. Ask your surgeon for all the possible outcomes. If it were me facing the choice, I'd take the chance on the transplant myself, but I'd want to know all the possibilities.

Stush
D
ddurst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yes I have made up my mind to go ahead with the transplant and I have had numerous meetings discussing the possible risks and rewards. Also many tests performed making sure I have no other medical problems, which I don't. Benben's mother-in-law, called and she had a lot of answers and some insights that were both helpful and positive.

Thanks to everyone for the stories of family and friends. It is extremely helpful to hear the reports with positive outcomes.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just had a friend who just passed away a week ago that had pulmonary fibrosis. He put up an amazing battle, long enough that he finally got the set of young lungs he needed. The transplant went great but unfortunately he had an unforeseen heart issue that was unknown to him and his doctors. His heart gave out as they were finishing the surgery. Very sad to see someone fight so hard then have something completely unrelated (was a huge shock to the doctors) take him.

Fight hard and I will be praying for your new set of lungs and the person who gave them to you.

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 04/27/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.