Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have carried a Benelli M1 Super 90 in my skiff for bear protection. Works very well.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B

The Dixie Terminator Slug is the most Devestating slug that I have ever witnessed

The Terminator Slug is a 730 grain Wide Flat point hard cast (not soft lead)

At The Linebaugh Seminar in Jackson, Miss. the Terminator Slug made my 416 Rigby look puny

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

I carry my Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 with a ghost ring peep and front firesight, loaded with Garrett 420gr +p Hammerheads. I also use it for hunting bear and moose.

That was my first suggestion but I'd whack that XLR barrel to 16in. Muzzle-down "African" carry on the support-hand side is the fastest/handiest way to carry a defensive carbine. A long barrel causes problems carried in that manner.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Copied from a form
Photos didn't copy
Sorry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
TC1 & Pittu

Please take the 44 mag of your choice, and try to unload all six shots at a dinner plate at say 7 yards, as fast as possible. Come back when you realize the logistics of a bear attack and rapid double action 44 mag fire don't work out too well.

Give me a glock and hold the fluff.

You only need one or two if you have the requisite skill and a cool head:

http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/news/Alaska_current_events_882.htm

Having said that, I'd readily agree that a Glock 20, with the right load, would likely get the job done. This arguement is like Africans discussing whether to carry an FAL (shoots fast) or a 375 bolt gun going after wounded Buff. They both work, if you'll do.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Of the two, #1.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bill the shotgun will fill your need perfect. Remember if you are in a boat muzzle up! Have fun

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
45-70/450 guide gun with 450+ grains of cast bullet, There's a reason most of the guides in B.C.'s big bear country pack one. Do some penetration tests VS a 12ga, slug it will become obvious. As for a hand gun, it's like my old mentor a 50 yr. guiding vet. once told me. "A hand gun for bear defence is like sex with a leaky condom, it gives you a full sense of security while being screwed"

BORN to HUNT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
16in SS Marlin in 45/70

Take a knee will have you at the border with a rifle you can't take into Canada. Their MINIMUM length is 18.5" Rifle or Shotgun.
Listen to people who live there. Are you going to be walking streams or fishing with a guide? What are you fishing for? How are you going to fish? Are you going to fly out? I've been places where bears were literally everywhere. If there are plenty of fish the bears are not really concerned about you, IF you use your head and don't get too close or between them and their cubs. I lived there for 33 years and either carried a Marlin 1895 45-70 or a 44 Mag handgun. I hope you can learn to shoot one between now and the time you go. A good hard cast with either gun I mentioned is extremely capable of taking a bear. We are talking here less than a 1% chance of having to use one. You will be ahead to read the book, Bear Encounter Survival Guide: James Gary Shelton .. Sharpen the weapon between your ears.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
[quote=Take_a_knee]16in SS Marlin in 45/70

Take a knee will have you at the border with a rifle you can't take into Canada. Their MINIMUM length is 18.5" Rifle or Shotgun.

When did that change? We have Canadian Fire members who say otherwise. One did a post about buying a "Mare's leg" and putting a stock on it because there was no law in Canada against it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just for fun
S&w 500 buffalo bore load
440 hard cast flat nose at 1325 fps

Dixie slug
870 gr hard cast flat nose at 1200 fps

Can some one tell me how the laws of physics is suspended when it comes to your big bore handguns?
And how many rounds I'd this can you crank off?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Of this
I hate auto fill

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Of this
I hate auto fill

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
While many here are more expert than am I, It strikes me that the idea of smaller cartridges and or higher capacity guns to shoot a bear more times is silly.

If you had the time to empty a gun into him, it wasn't a bear attack, and you just shot Smokey for no good reason.

Alaskans will point at you and say rude things.

The Fish Cop will make it the most expensive trip of your life.

If we face a real bear attack, IMO we better stop it in a shot or two. A big Glock mag or tacticool shotgun tube are for Compton not Kodiak.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am sure that we have Canadian firearms members that have Prohib Licenses. An American travelling through won't. When I moved up there in 2004 the rule was in place.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I don't often carry when I fish but fish with others that do. Fishing guides in the remote areas will carry short barrel pump shotguns that are parkerized, etc. Just remember if you set it down and walk 50 yards away from it, no matter how effective the firearm, it won't do you any good.

A 44 special revolver loaded hot or a cheap Glock 10mm is enough for me to carry when I do carry.

Matt

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've fished in Alaska quite a bit, always with guides. The guides have carried various long guns, including shotguns with deep-penetrating slugs, but many have carried relatively light and short medium-bore rifles. The rifles I remember specifically were a Remington 600 .350 Magnum and a Winchester 71 .348 carbine.

Others have carried larger-bore handguns, often with a can of bear pepper spray. A couple of guides have brought along several cans of bear spray and handed them out to the anglers when we started fishing.

So far nobody has been attacked, though there have been some displays and a couple of threat charges from sows with cubs. Nobody I've ever fished with has had to shoot a bear while fishing, though several have when guiding bear hunters who wounded them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rovering
While many here are more expert than am I, It strikes me that the idea of smaller cartridges and or higher capacity guns to shoot a bear more times is silly.

You erroneously assume that if the bear makes it to you, it is "over". Evidence of actual attacks says otherwise. Years ago a grizzly stalked and took an Alaskan moose guide to the ground from behind. The guide drew his 454 Casull, stuck it behind his head and pulled the trigger. Said griz just happened to bite the muzzle as it discharged. Fight over, dead bear.

Lesson? Be prepared to stay in the [bleep] fight.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 05/01/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EdM
I am sure that we have Canadian firearms members that have Prohib Licenses. An American travelling through won't. When I moved up there in 2004 the rule was in place.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

I stand corrected. 457mm equals 17.99 inches.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In general,IF the gun needs 2 hands for operation then under 18.5 is ok(mare's legs grizzlys etc) as it is non restricted but there are other in's and outs best to check, hand guns are definitely out.

BORN to HUNT
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,885
Posts18,518,254
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.