Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gemby58
You come dump your pet off at my farm and see what happens.

Was that really necessary?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
You come dump your pet off at my farm and see what happens.

Was that really necessary?

YES IT WAS! I welcome all live targets, got to many, just drop them off, I'll take care of them.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you don't like the way I take care of stray cats on my farm aphaltangel. Why don't you have your crew come over and take care of it for me, till them I will do all means as I see fit to do it myself, like it or not. You can talk the talk but can't walk the walk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Gemby,

It's great you would consider an alternate solution. If you would like to get some assistance, please PM me your home address [wherever the cats are] and I will do my best to get you some help out there.

I was involved with a group in a nearby town where we were known as the trap-neuter-return [TNR] GO-TO gals. We worked closely with a veterinarian and his entire office on many spay and neuter clinics. The work involved setting the traps, checking them at least twice a day, and taking in the cats [or releasing a possum in one case :o]. I worked in the actual clinic itself which can be a real "adventure" when you have 50 plus cats hanging around that aren't very happy to be there. I enjoyed helping out in the recovery unit. The vet tech would hand the trap or carrier to me and I stacked them on one another where I monitored several at a time following surgery. This involved a rectal temperature reading and making sure there was not a bad reaction to the anesthesia. It was rewarding to pet them when under anesthesia. That's the closest I will ever get to a feral cat without full body armor in most cases . smile I also rescued several cats when I worked as a shelter manager in our local homeless shelter and many througout the years that became my own. Most of the time, they find me. I do my best to walk the talk.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hi Gemby,

It's great you would consider an alternate solution. If you would like to get some assistance, please PM me your home address [wherever the cats are] and I will do my best to get you some help out there.

Are you crazy. That's all I need is a tree hugging, veggie eating aZZhole in my business or on my land. I don't need your assistance, I got it under control. When the pit I dug with the backhoe gets filled up, I'll cover it up and dig another and fill that one up. It does give my more live targets to shoot at as the crows sure do like to eat cats. I tried your route and was told there's nothing they can do about it, there on my land and there my problem and take care of it yourself. And that I do, I do have one mass grave in the back 40. RIP

And before you ask: YES that really necessary?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

....Why don't you have your crew come over and take care of it for me, till them I will do all means as I see fit to do it myself, like it or not. You can talk the talk but can't walk the walk

I probably am a little "crazy" because I was ready to try and get you some help for the out of control situation [and I do mean OUT of control]. I'd rather be "crazy" for a good cause than to not try at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding and "Happy Digging".

BTW. I am not "tree hugging" or a vegetarian. There are some great recipes in the Food and Cooking forum for bear meat. Check it out when you have time. We like to hunt the big stuff out here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I was involved with a group in a nearby town where we were known as the trap-neuter-return [TNR] GO-TO gals.

I applaud your efforts Sherrie BUT is anybody gonna volunteer to come clean out my flower bed or garden every day?
The only solution as I see it is to euthanize them...I've seriously considered walking my dogs down to the "cat lady" yard to let them do their thing. Maybe she'd get the message...I've politely talked to her before about the problem but apparently she could care less about annoying her neighbors...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I live in the 'burbs so no krat shooting around here. The kitties that wander the neighborhood usually get picked up by the local coyotes and foxes.
The ferals that I've spotted while out on small game hunts were dropped right there. House cats that are dumped and survive going wild are a menace to the wild bird population so I remove them when I can. I don't rescue the cat, I take some pressure off the wildlife.
Yes I'm a cat owner.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that many in society today refuse to see feral cats as what they are...wild animals. wild animals that in some areas are as much of a nuisance as the little vermin that the feral cats feed on.

No one would think twice about killing a mouse or a rat. But many folks can't handle someone destroying a feral cat because it looks like the little kitty that lives in their home.

State representatives need to start to consider the rights of humans when they write these laws that protect feral cats. They sure didn't consider my neighborhood or colodog's or that of Middlefork Miner.

In the city TNR might work but in the suburbs it doesn't because of the amount of waste a feral colony produces on people's property.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

I was involved with a group in a nearby town where we were known as the trap-neuter-return [TNR] GO-TO gals.

I applaud your efforts Sherrie BUT is anybody gonna volunteer to come clean out my flower bed or garden every day?
The only solution as I see it is to euthanize them...I've seriously considered walking my dogs down to the "cat lady" yard to let them do their thing. Maybe she'd get the message...I've politely talked to her before about the problem but apparently she could care less about annoying her neighbors...

How about taking a shovel, scooping up all the poop, walking down to your neighbor's yard, and stand there until they come out. Then, toss the crap on the yard and tell her, "here's your cat's crap." JUST KIDDING, but this is what a neighbor did to me and my former husband. He marched down the road like he was on a mission [lived a few houses down]. My husband went out and asked him , "do I know you?" because the guy was standing there at the edge of our yard with his shovel. The guy threw it on the grass and yelled, "here's your cat sh*t". We had never had any conversation with him and had only seen him driving by in his truck. He worked nights at the Washington State Penniteniary and didn't mingle with the neighbors.

I eventually followed up with him after we laughed for a good 10 minutes. He described the cat he saw and it did looked a lot like one of ours. He wasn't aware there was a stray in the area that literally was a "look-a-like" ..showed him the picture, but unfortunately, I was not able to get close enough to the cat to catch it.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[/quote]
I was not able to get close enough to the cat to catch it. [/quote]

Shoot it it's easier, they cant out run a bullet. You think crap in the yard is bad, have them spray and crap all over your hay, then you have to throw it out as the cows wont eat it, cant say I don't blame them. Every time I come across a litter in the hay I snap there necks and throw them in the barn yard for the cows can push them into the manure till I take them and spread them on the fields

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Feral Cat's are just that, FERAL. ANYTHING feral is not good to native environments. Here in S. Texas the Feral Hogs are destroying land everywhere and people cant shoot enough of them to make a dent because ranchers/landowners see them as a money crop by charging folks to shoot them. Non-natives in any form are bad thing. Look at Grass Carp, Zebra Muscles, Asian "Jumping" Carp, et al. They are all "feral" and do LOTS of damage to native species. Feral cats are no different other than being cute and fuzzy. Make no mistake however, they are cute and fuzzy killers as far as native birds are concerned. This is why I have a BIG problem with catch, neuter and release BS. Once you release them back into the wild, the lack of juevos does nothing to stop them from killing native animals. I do allot of wildlife photography and have bird feeders in my yard for that purpose. I can't count the number of times I've found feral krats lying in wait for some "bird food" many times, it's just practice for killing and they don't even eat them. Fortunately, Air Arms of England has provided me with method of protecting native species in the form of a .22 TX200. I take ZERO pleasure in doing it but it's a measure that must be taken. If you have any doubt as to the impact that feral Krats can make look up the feral cat problem they have in Australia. Ferals have brought many native species there to near extinction. The cat protection thing is based on pure emotion because they're cute and fuzzy. No one bats an eye when someone kills a snake or spider but they're not cute and fuzzy to most folks (I tend to disagree).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to respond in greater detail at some point, but suffice it to say I am pleased you are not "snapping" necks of little kittens and throwing them into manure. My cats eat spiders so I don't have to worry about that ....unless the spiders are too high on the wall. I can't live around spiders because they give me the creeps worse than about anything. Some snakes aren't bad. One of my cousins had a snake that we could pet. Fortunately, we don't live in an area where I have to worry about our dogs and cats getting bit by deadly snakes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even though sometimes drastic and dire measures need to be taken in order to solve a pest problem, accounts like those from Gemby are often used by Radical rights groups to prove their point to the overly sensitive bleeding hearts of the world.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FC363
Even though sometimes drastic and dire measures need to be taken in order to solve a pest problem, accounts like those from Gemby are often used by Radical rights groups to prove their point to the overly sensitive bleeding hearts of the world.

Not a radical or a group, just poor little old me gemby. I do what I need to do to take care of the problem that azzholes cause for me by dropping off there damn cats. Do you have a answer for this problem? I can catch all the cats and bring them over and let you figure out what to do with them

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think the point of contention is simply that some of us are faced with a different set of problems. Me if a strange cat shows up around here then it goes by-by, same as a free running cattle chasing dog. I live far enough away from people that typical city folk pets are dumped off problems waiting to happen. All the rescue group, dog catcher, so on and so forth BS is just that. I do not wait around for those problems to be solved by someone else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FC363

Not a radical or a group, just poor little old me gemby. I do what I need to do to take care of the problem that azzholes cause for me by dropping off there damn cats. Do you have a answer for this problem? I can catch all the cats and bring them over and let you figure out what to do with them

You really didn't understand wtf I was talking about. The radical groups I was referring to are the people that lurk these forums just to search out posts from people who snap the necks of pests and throw them in manure to gain sympathy and donations from their followers. I don't really care how you get rid of them, but other people just might. Telling them just how you do it isn't really being smart in a public forum.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Some thoughts from cat owner who recently lost his long time pet.

Cats are an invasive species. They are not native and as such should not be released into the wild. Period.

I dont know what it gets like on a farm, but I have lived in several suburban towns that have serious cat problems. It is a health hazard and is plain disgusting.

People lament the "mean heartedness" of thwacking a feral cat with a pellet gun or "giving them a swimming lesson", but it is the little old cat lady down the street who is responsible for far greater death tolls.

Cats kill. They kill for food and for fun. When they arent killing they are breeding. In between both they are [bleep] and pissing all over.

Feral cats kill billions of birds, frogs, snakes, voles, chipmunks, squirrels. What of them? My yard once had myriad song birds, chipmunks, mice, voles, moles, and 3 species of snakes. Now, it's cats. They wipe out wildlife.

Trap spay neuter was the rage here not too long ago. This does nothing to stop the spread of newly dropped off or escapee cats. In order to be successful it needs to be done diligently and continually. Have fun with that, but lets not lament the pellet to the head method either.

Unfortunately in my neighborhood sight of a pellet gun is cause for a SWAT raid. in fact I got rid of mine for fear that I would take to culling the little killing and [bleep] machines myself.

The serial killer argument is tired and misleading as well. Most serial killers & rapists masterbated as children. What now? Prevent teen masterbation in the off chance they someday may rape someone? No, Killing cats is neither mean not a prelude to being a serial killer. It is the right thing to do.

A feral cat population cull is the right move. If one wants to follow up with a TSN program, there can be merit to that. However culling a booming population first is valid.

So too is making statements like gemby did re "drop off your cat and see what happens". in fact, if more people publicized the likely outcome of dropping cats off in empty lots, perhaps fewer people would do it.

Interesting turn this thread took though.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Some thoughts from cat owner who recently lost his long time pet.

Cats are an invasive species. They are not native and as such should not be released into the wild. Period.

I dont know what it gets like on a farm, but I have lived in several suburban towns that have serious cat problems. It is a health hazard and is plain disgusting.

People lament the "mean heartedness" of thwacking a feral cat with a pellet gun or "giving them a swimming lesson", but it is the little old cat lady down the street who is responsible for far greater death tolls.

Cats kill. They kill for food and for fun. When they arent killing they are breeding. In between both they are [bleep] and pissing all over.

Feral cats kill billions of birds, frogs, snakes, voles, chipmunks, squirrels. What of them? My yard once had myriad song birds, chipmunks, mice, voles, moles, and 3 species of snakes. Now, it's cats. They wipe out wildlife.

Trap spay neuter was the rage here not too long ago. This does nothing to stop the spread of newly dropped off or escapee cats. In order to be successful it needs to be done diligently and continually. Have fun with that, but lets not lament the pellet to the head method either.

Unfortunately in my neighborhood sight of a pellet gun is cause for a SWAT raid. in fact I got rid of mine for fear that I would take to culling the little killing and [bleep] machines myself.

The serial killer argument is tired and misleading as well. Most serial killers & rapists masterbated as children. What now? Prevent teen masterbation in the off chance they someday may rape someone? No, Killing cats is neither mean not a prelude to being a serial killer. It is the right thing to do.

A feral cat population cull is the right move. If one wants to follow up with a TSN program, there can be merit to that. However culling a booming population first is valid.

So too is making statements like gemby did re "drop off your cat and see what happens". in fact, if more people publicized the likely outcome of dropping cats off in empty lots, perhaps fewer people would do it.

Interesting turn this thread took though.

Good Post, It is not the fault of the animals but they are what has to be delt with

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
People have a litter of cats they want to get rid of guess what they take a drive and when they come to a barn, guess what, they drop them off. They get in there thick head that barn and cat's go together. I would love to catch the POS that drops them off at my barn. I wish I could move my barn back off the road about 500 yards then I could catch them the POS. Till then I got to do what I got to do. I don't hate cats, I have about 6 of my own on the farm, there mine and its there farm. I don't run them over when I'm on the road going somewhere when I see them. When I see one that's is not welcome on my farm it used up it's 9 lives.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,639
Posts18,474,450
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.