Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So, looks like the wife wants to haul the fifth wheel up to Alaska next summer, last time I went up to Fairbanks was in 92, but that was a truck and a tent with friends, so in the process of picking up books on the area and campgrounds on the route, will be interesting to see how much time we will need, she wants me to take a month off, so that might be good enough.
Anybody else driven that way while hauling a fifth wheel?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'd like to head up there someday, just to put a boot in NWA ass.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad drove up here from MT two summers ago with his 5th wheel. Did fine, but he felt like he rushed the trip up (@5 days), so he did it in @9 days on the way back and it was a lot more enjoyable. Make sure you get a Milepost.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Destruction Bay to the Beaver Creek/border area usually is the worst of it. Shouldn't be as bad after the frost heaves even out a bit. Don't pass Laird Hot Springs without stopping. Buy a copy of The Milepost as UncleJake said, only publication you need for the drive IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mom has made the trip a couple times, usually 5 weeks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My aunt and uncle did it every year for 15 years. Hitched up his trailer in TX and headed to AK for the summer. Met some people who lived in Kenai and Soldotna. I believe one of them was a missionary who ran the museum there. They let my uncle park his trailer at their place each year. After he died another woman let him park there and I stayed with here when I went up there to visit them one summer.

I remember him talking about how bad the road was early on and one year they were doing construction. What they called gravel he called boulders. He had 4 flats in one day.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I'll truck pool with ya, got a feeling you might have to take a bus to accommodate all that would like to be on that adventure.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Y'all would give new meaning to the term "chitt kickers."

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UncleJake
My dad drove up here from MT two summers ago with his 5th wheel. Did fine, but he felt like he rushed the trip up (@5 days), so he did it in @9 days on the way back and it was a lot more enjoyable. Make sure you get a Milepost.

this

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a brown bear hunt booked out of Sitka for 2016. My wife, who will attend, and I are thinking about driving up from our place in north Idaho. A few days each way. I think it would be a great ride.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by UncleJake

this

You won't believe how much help the Milepost is. You will start to wonder why they don't have one for the lower 48. Canadian campgrounds are very nice. You will discover it's important to stop in the afternoon to make sure you can get a spot. They usually have firewood there as well. Either going up or down a trip from Whitehorse to Dawson City is pretty neat. Then taking the "free" fairy across the Yukon is a nice experience. There is a campground when you get across that's a good place to stay as well. Enjoy some gambling and eating in a period type setting. Liard Hot Springs is a nice experience, break a swim suit. You may start out by yourself but you might not end up that way. A dip in your skinnies may not be what the wife is up for. laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Partsman
So, looks like the wife wants to haul the fifth wheel up to Alaska next summer, last time I went up to Fairbanks was in 92, but that was a truck and a tent with friends, so in the process of picking up books on the area and campgrounds on the route, will be interesting to see how much time we will need, she wants me to take a month off, so that might be good enough.
Anybody else driven that way while hauling a fifth wheel?

Only with livestock loaded within it and that was a straight drive-through (obviously). A month would be a nice highway vacation, actually. Great fishing along the way, during the month of June. If you hit it right, you can also take in some fabulous California bighorn sheep, Stone sheep and Dall sheep photography along the route, during the month of June.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Then taking the "free" fairy across the Yukon is a nice experience.

Don't forget to say hi to her unicorn too.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't resist. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lemme know if you hit da Banks again Partsman

be happy to buy you a beer

if I'm in town

we don't have good Canadian beer, but we have some local swill that can suffice

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That will blacken one of his eyes.

BP...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
40+ trips on the Alcan and never tire of it.

Oilfield traffic and fuel prices are both excessive around Fort Nelson.

The Poplars at Toad River is a nice campground....other than that I don't get too caught up on campgrounds.

IMO, the deadend trip into Atlin is worth it......as well as the Carcross area.

As mentioned, the frost heaves est of Kluane Lake for 100 miles are the pits.

Check road condition for Taylor Highway before attempting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now have the 2014 Milepost book and the one called travelers guide to Alaskan Camping.
Thanks for the info on books.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.