Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Let's talk smoking in large quantities

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
... welcome to my smoke shack grin

Well I'll be a sumbitch! I have never even dreamt about something like that! What a strange but GREAT idea! lol

I'm waiting for this sentence:

"Oh yeah??! Well can your smoker/cooker/grill thingy accomodate 6 - 300 lb hogs, 2 dozen chickens, 15 - turkeys, 35 - pork butts and an 800 lb steer??"

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Well can your smoker/cooker/grill thingy accomodate 6 - 300 lb hogs, 2 dozen chickens, 15 - turkeys, 35 - pork butts and an 800 lb steer??"

Mine Can wink

.... and then some

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DIYguy

I�ll ask again since you have tucked tail and run from the questions.

I didn't "tuck tail and run" from anything. In fact I believe I was the first one to compliment your build and the next thing we know you're trashing BGE cookers. I believe the word was cute or pretty.

PM your number and let's hash it out brother. Unless, of course you're "tucking tail." Like I said you built a really great cooker but anything you can do I can equal and more. Given equal cooking surface/space of course.

And if you're close let's do a cook off.
David

BTW I did not obtain 12 BGE's as well as other cookers just to make bacon and my do more comment was not meant to imply yield. But if I have to bring them all to equal your DIY yield in the Pepsi bacon challenge I can. grin

Sorry if I offended anybody. That was not my intent!

Last edited by byc; 05/03/14. Reason: apology

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give it up Hoop, cause you won't win this one. DIY is a very talented sausage maker and meat processor, but when it comes to bbq, not so much. The dried out chicken and ribs in his own pictures prove that. Then there's the pork butt slathered in yellow mustard next to a bottle of Famous Dave's rub that is telling in itself.

I can't smoke that much sausage in my eggs and I don't want to. If I wanted to do that I would have bought a Cookshack or another that was up to the task. Fact is, after about half a log of summer sausage I've had my fill for the year. Just not my thing.

Talking $hit about other guys equipment gets you nowhere because almost every time those guys will beat you. StanV and Sean cook on stick burners and have shown some photos that make me envious. We're talking about two different things here. Smoking vs. bbq. DIY built one helluva a smoker fueled by propane and sawdust, but there is no way it can compete cooking bbq against lump charcoal or hardwood.

I'm sure everyone was wanting a pissing contest from me over BGE's. Ain't gonna happen. DIY seems to be bothered by the cost of the BGE. Yeah they're expensive, but WGAS? If you can afford them fine, if not that's fine too, I"ll be the first to high five you if you out cook me on a WSM.

Cheers,

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Give it up Hoop, cause you won't win this one. DIY is a very talented sausage maker and meat processor, but when it comes to bbq, not so much. The dried out chicken and ribs in his own pictures prove that. Then there's the pork butt slathered in yellow mustard next to a bottle of Famous Dave's rub that is telling in itself.

I can't smoke that much sausage in my eggs and I don't want to. If I wanted to do that I would have bought a Cookshack or another that was up to the task. Fact is, after about half a log of summer sausage I've had my fill for the year. Just not my thing.

Talking $hit about other guys equipment gets you nowhere because almost every time those guys will beat you. StanV and Sean cook on stick burners and have shown some photos that make me envious. We're talking about two different things here. Smoking vs. bbq. DIY built one helluva a smoker fueled by propane and sawdust, but there is no way it can compete cooking bbq against lump charcoal or hardwood.

I'm sure everyone was wanting a pissing contest from me over BGE's. Ain't gonna happen. DIY seems to be bothered by the cost of the BGE. Yeah they're expensive, but WGAS? If you can afford them fine, if not that's fine too, I"ll be the first to high five you if you out cook me on a WSM.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah! What he said! grin

Talk about some grill/smoker envy with a bunch of grown ass men wondering whose smoked more sausages

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/02/14.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why does this happen?--A person uses his God given talents and builds a useful product, and along comes an ASSH--- and buys a GRILL and says he can do what he knows he cannot. Why are there so many IGNORANT people in this world.

Green grills are what they are- a grill and nothing more period.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I have a large and mini egg. For my needs and sizes of the crowds at my shin digs, they work fine. I can smoke a pork shoulder or a trimmed brisket and the BGE can hold a steady temp for a long time. If I want to smoke a full packer or multiple shoulders (or most of what DYI mentions), its limited. I use my BGE all the time but its not a high volume food maker.

I'm building an UDS (ugly drum smoker). I'm starting with a 16 gallon version to get my feet wet and than I plan on building a 55 gallon version so I'll be able to smoke a little more meat at a time.

I don't get my panties in a wad because someone thinks my cooker is overpriced. I've said it before but I like my BGE a lot but my Weber with a Smokenator isn't too far behind.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can we mix this in with the cop bashing thread ?

That way nobody will go hungry.

Denny.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How did your butt turn out Denny?

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdhunt
Why does this happen?--A person uses his God given talents and builds a useful product, and along comes an ASSH--- and buys a GRILL and says he can do what he knows he cannot. Why are there so many IGNORANT people in this world.

I'll say it again. I did not start chit nor did I cast the first stone and was the first to pay my respects to this gentleman's work. So if you're directing that at me you're 100% ignorant wrong.

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
DIY built one helluva a smoker fueled by propane and sawdust, but there is no way it can compete cooking bbq against lump charcoal or hardwood.

???? I only use dust for cold smoking and no propane for cold smoking. I only use large chunk hardwood (Hickory, maple, apple, Pecan, etc) for hot smoking. The same hardwowod BBQ'rs use. Most of it I cut myself from local trees (except pecan)It then turns to charcoal while I use it. Heat is heat and is used to turn wood into smoke and the chuncks into char'd coal.

Here is a five gallon bucket for today's burnnt offerings. Hickory, Apple and a little pecan. Soon to become char'd coals.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DIYguy; 05/03/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by cdhunt

I'll say it again. I did not start chit nor did I cast the first stone and was the first to pay my respects to this gentleman's work. So if you're directing that at me you're 100% ignorant wrong.

Can't we all just get along ? JEEEZZ !

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
there is no way it can compete cooking bbq against lump charcoal or hardwood.

There's that "competition" thing again. I dont recall every saying I competed, or had a desire to compete in BBQ cook offs. I use my smoker to feed my famly fine meats and sausages and cheeses and all manner of fine dining as well as for large events. Ive never considered "competition" even though I do what they do while they are competing (ie produce some damn fine dinning) with a combination BBQ and long sausage smoker. Today I am smoking 30 pounds of 66 inch long snack sticks in 21 mm casings to evaluate a new product line from Frisco spices. They are hanging in the smoker right now and they smell freaking awsome. I mixed them with high temp cheese (cheddar) and dried and minced Jalepeno. The only competition will be bewen me and my boys to see who can eat the most. grin

Thats why I built this smoker/BBQ with my son. The joy is in the doing. (and eating) Later I may fire up the Grill for steaks and burgers. I have a Weber and a Charbroil gas (I dont have an egg grill)

Last edited by DIYguy; 05/03/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah DIYguy, I used to be a KCBS judge and can turn out some decent vittles when I put my mind to it and take my time which isn't very often because I cook for just me and the dog.

If I ever entered a comp they'd laugh me off the property grin

Denny.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Can't we all just get along ? JEEEZZ !

Originally Posted by byc

Sorry if I offended anybody. That was not my intent!

I did my part earlier Denny. If that's not good enough then to hell with it.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't directed at you David. Just a heads up to us all. Love of food is universal and the equipment and methods are widely varied. What's tasty to one of us may make another gag.

Usually the bickering is reserved for the dickheads up in kiddieland http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/21/1/Hunter_s_Campfire and at times I are one of them dickheads. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My meat is better than your meat! You poopy heads!

laugh

I kid. I am envious of all of you guys that can turn out some fine eating whatever the means. I do pretty well myself on my charbroil charcoal grill but nothing like what you guys are putting out.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The responses to this thread say alot about 24hr. I'm guessing the same guys giving you crap for building your own smoker, while buying their oven from a store probably get 99.9% of their meat the same way(from a store). Thanks for the extremely detailed build details, with that information even a dumbass could build a real smoker, and haul their outdoor oven to the local dump. I'm not much for pictures, but I'll do a butchering thread next round.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mog75
The responses to this thread say alot about 24hr. I'm guessing the same guys giving you crap for building your own smoker, while buying their oven from a store probably get 99.9% of their meat the same way(from a store). Thanks for the extremely detailed build details, with that information even a dumbass could build a real smoker, and haul their outdoor oven to the local dump. I'm not much for pictures, but I'll do a butchering thread next round.

I dont let the eggers get me down. They are entertaining. I think they sometimes try too hard though. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DIYguy

I dont let the eggers get me down. They are entertaining. I think they sometimes try too hard though. grin

Pot�Kettle

This whole thread was entertaining in the same way that chic fight that was posted in the campfire was "entertaining". You know the video, the one where one redneck chic hits the other redneck chic in the head with a shovel

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.