Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Here are a few from my collection gathered around Hebgen Lake, Montana. My mother and I spent many early Springs looking for these artifacts where Indians must have spent years hunting and gathering. It is interesting the different materials that ended up here and realizing that obsidian was the most common material and basalt had to come from somewhere else.

The knife on the left is complete and wonderfully made, again material from somewhere other than Hebgen Lake area. The obsidian point nest to the knife is finely formed and more typical of later Indian influence.

The Basalt piece is indicative of a hafted knife and made from basalt. I found it on a gopher mound over a mile from the lake. The next obsidian point is not broken or mis-shaped, it is actually a rare type of parallel plane on both cutting surfaces with some design meant for a particular purpose. It has been so long since we studied and had these artifacts cataloged, I forgot a lot of the genesis of these pieces.

The bottom piece is an actual flint from a flint-lock rifle that has been converted to a scraper by an Indian and used more recently in regards to Indian history. All of our artifacts were used by the impact study done when they were looking at "Ski Yellowstone" a proposed ski area to be built near Hebgen Lake in the early 1970's...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The musket flint sure looks like Chalcedony from France! Also known as French Ambers. French had the flint market cornered til the Napoleonic wars. Then the English Brandon flints gained in popularity. That's not saying the English flint weren't used before then, because they were. It's just the French were actually more popular! Awesome finds !!! Thanks for sharing!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Went out Saturday,found the usual cart full of broken stuff. This site has a unique geographical feature known as a "karst window". Strong flowing spring feed branch from off property flows in, then disappears into a collapsed sinkhole-cave.

Found this within 25 yards the water. (quarter just for scale)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I spent hundreds of hours as a kid arrowhead hunting in the fields below our house in Washington County, Maryland. Found gazillions of them and gave most away. I guess I should take some pics of the ones I kept.

20+ years ago my then little nephew used to pester me to show him my collection, so I upped the ante and told him we would go out and find some for himself. We were standing at the bottom edge of Mom's yard and I was explaining to him how to hunt and what to look for, yada yada. I looked down and lo-and-behold there laid a perfect pink arrowhead not one foot from where he was standing. I calmly coaxed him into starting his search right where he was standing, and after several false starts he spotted it, grabbed it, and went running and yelling back up to the house to show everybody. Arrowhead hunting was over for the day! (To this day the family is convinced I 'salted' it there for him to find, but I didn't- it was one of those little freaky moments in life!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Here are some more found in the same area. We used to look all over the for artifacts and found more than projectile points. The age of some of these is thousands of years old.

The upper right piece was complete when I found it, but part broke off during handling. It is probably the oldest piece in our collection.

The white piece below it is almost clear, I have it on a piece of black paper to set it out to be seen. The Basalt point and the other point are very old, way back B.C. The other scraper/knives are of different material as well showing that the material at least was from a foreign source, if not the Indians that left them there...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Put several more miles on my red wings last two outings.

The rain has been good. I'm cased up for better ones of the bunch. And its full. This represents all finds since March 2014. About 7 or 8 visits to my locations.

Lastest sites a bearing lots of tools. I think it may have been a butchering/hunting encampment. IDK for sure.

Here a couple are insitus, they are fun to capture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would have really loved to spend time searching the chunk of ground DocRocket took us out to hunt on.....Kieth and Roger found a scrapper while looking for a hit pig.....whole area was LOADED with raw flint so im sure it was where the local natives would load up on material.....Kieth brought back a big chunk for a friend that knaps his own flints for his flintlock.....pretty sure a few came back in my luggage somewhere

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Several crude knives in the lot, representations of many point types from same sites. So obviously areas were utilized for many years, maybe even 1000s. And again , all points , tools and brokes found last 3 months.

[Linked Image]

Large tools, scrapers and some brokes.

[Linked Image]

And finally; the balance of the lot....a friggin rubbermaid laundry 'tote'. Just got tired of spreading it all out. The volume of the spread wouldnt present an image that gives it justice. Sure...lots of crude tools, but also pre-form spear points and flat knives. I'm thinking chert was quarried here and intial and second phase reductions are evidenced.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just for comparisons

This pic represents everthing I found for 2013 and a different location 30 miles away.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Unreal to find that much stuff so quickly.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
miles of cornrows, grid searching row by row in the 'hot spots', hours and hours on my feetsies.

I also fan out from hot spots and do wide open across field searches too. If the corn is ankle high, I can weave pependicular through the matrix. Mind you, these guys set their air drill rows at 30", so there's plenty of comfortable viewage as I step thru-, look left-look right-step again all in a fluid motion. It's amazing how fast the human eye and brain can process the scan. If I'm crosscutting, I cover quite a bit ground and can see about 25ft left and right. So about a 50ft swath as i step though. Because all I'm looking for is quick contrasting color of black flint against red clay or tan soil or the quick glint of light hitting a concoidial surface.
If doing parallel grid walking, I can murder about 6 rows at a time on flanks at a steady pace. As the crop gets taller, the shadowing robs you of the keen ability to seperate information.
However, an overcast day levels the playing field and one can see thru the stalk matrix again.

You also have to be studied in your endeavour. I try to understand how the landscapes might have looked 6,000 yrs ago. An understanding of geomorphology coupled with a hunch usually puts me where the stuff is.

I also don't spend tons of time discussing which handgun is best to carry in the shower. Laffin

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by eyeball
miles of cornrows, grid searching row by row in the 'hot spots', hours and hours on my feetsies.

I also fan out from hot spots and do wide open across field searches too. If the corn is ankle high, I can weave pependicular through the matrix. Mind you, these guys set their air drill rows at 30", so there's plenty of comfortable viewage as I step thru-, look left-look right-step again all in a fluid motion. It's amazing how fast the human eye and brain can process the scan. If I'm crosscutting, I cover quite a bit ground and can see about 25ft left and right. So about a 50ft swath as i step though. Because all I'm looking for is quick contrasting color of black flint against red clay or tan soil or the quick glint of light hitting a concoidial surface.
If doing parallel grid walking, I can murder about 6 rows at a time on flanks at a steady pace. As the crop gets taller, the shadowing robs you of the keen ability to seperate information.
However, an overcast day levels the playing field and one can see thru the stalk matrix again.

You also have to be studied in your endeavour. I try to understand how the landscapes might have looked 6,000 yrs ago. An understanding of geomorphology coupled with a hunch usually puts me where the stuff is.

I also don't spend tons of time discussing which handgun is best to carry in the shower. Laffin

this is why i cant get the guy to turkey for nothing in the spring alot of times

out addicted like a methhead looking for broken rocks on the ground

laugh laugh laugh

i found an arrow head when i was out walking around one day with him

20 minutes later
he finds a huge spear point something or other that put my puny thing to shame

crazy cry laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great thread gents. One of my favorites.

I don't have much of an eye for finding them but got lucky in Texas a few weeks ago with one piece.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We went searching for Indian War artifacts last weekend, we were pleasantly surprised at what we found...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 23 of 63 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,757
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.