Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Recently in New Zealand, 3 recreational hunters were hunting for tahr on public land and this is what they come across -

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2014/05/exclusive-helicopter-hazing-tahr-caught-camera...

I want to stress that this is not how we Kiwi's go hunting! We actually put in the hard yards, look for our animals and then stalk them, often in very unhospitable terrain. This video shows what is commonly known as "Helihunting" - hunting it is not! A small number of guides and helicopter operators provide this BS type service for trophy hunters from overseas. It is strictly regulated, hazing or herding is NOT allowed [yea right!], requires a DoC Concession to operate on public land, and is nearly always a very short term type operation - as little as 20 minutes from hangar and back to hangar, but usually an hour to hour and a half. It is actively condoned by the NZ Professional Hunting Guides Assoc and Safari Club.

For further comments check out the Fishnhunt.co.nz forum, hunting section.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had the privilege of working/interacting socially with both Kiwis and backcountry Aussies when I was in Iraq. A common topic was our upbringing hunting/hiking/climbing and general outdoors orientation.

There will always be a few from any country or culture that do things the wrong way or the easy/lazy way.

It in no way affects my high regard I have for the rest of the Kiwi or Aussie sportsmen.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately someone is always willing to pay for an "easy" hunt. If you can call it that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hve several friends that went on hunts for Tahr in NZ. Being older hunters after 3-4 days they were to exhausted to continue to climb the rugged mountains. They paid extra for a helicopter to transport them & guides to near the top of mountains each day. The chopper immediately left. After several days one of them shot a nice Tahr, but the other never scored.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by tbear
I hve several friends that went on hunts for Tahr in NZ. Being older hunters after 3-4 days they were to exhausted to continue to climb the rugged mountains. They paid extra for a helicopter to transport them & guides to near the top of mountains each day. The chopper immediately left. After several days one of them shot a nice Tahr, but the other never scored.

No one would complain about doing it that way.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I had the privilege of working/interacting socially with both Kiwis and backcountry Aussies when I was in Iraq. A common topic was our upbringing hunting/hiking/climbing and general outdoors orientation.

There will always be a few from any country or culture that do things the wrong way or the easy/lazy way.

It in no way affects my high regard I have for the rest of the Kiwi or Aussie sportsmen.

No place is barren of cheats and fools, unfortunately.

Good to see you still here, MS.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.