Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CraigC
I have three guns done by Clements and while they are very good, certainly worth what I paid for the work, there is a significant difference between his and the work of Bowen. Just as Clements' work is better than Reeder's, so Stroh's is better than Clements' and Bowen is probably lonely at the top. Although I don't know that he has anything over Huntington. The devil is in the details and some of these guys pay more attention to them than others.

Disagree completely, other than the Reeder bit, which ain't new....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would also add Harton and Linebaugh to the mix. Here's a pic of my Linebaugh-built .475 -- sorry for the horrendous picture. I'm quite fond of it!

And yes, Huntington does his own grips.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's only natural that some of these guys are going to be better than others. If they were all the same, then it wouldn't be so tough to choose who you wanted to do the work.

Two things I've noticed about the better `smith's. First is the fit of the grip frame. My three Clements guns are Bisley's and the grip frames fit perfectly on none of them. The stainless 4 5/8" Super was refitted and it still has some details that should've been addressed. When Huntington or Bowen fit a grip frame, it is perfect. Second is the fit of the ejector housing. Because they are typically tumble polished, the end where it meets the frame usually has rolled over edges. Very few will go to the trouble of truing those surfaces and refitting the housing. Then there are always polish/finish issues and other minor details.

None of this is meant as a slight against Clements or his work. I wouldn't have had three guns built if he wasn't good. I still like his front sight better than anyone's but Stroh's. He does excellent work and is a pleasure to deal with. He, along with others, is just not what I would consider the best. It is a very small group of craftsmen that can compete with the likes of Bowen.

Gary Reeder, on the other hand, is near "hack" status. His guns are put together no better than a factory gun and his polishing looks like it was done by an angry 700lb gorilla with a toothache. Not to even mention his arrogance, poor customer service skills and tendency to fly off the handle when someone asks an innocent question. He and Bowen are on opposite ends of the spectrum in both regards.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jim Stroh's front sight is a masterpiece.

This three screw SBH was converted from .44 mag to .45 LC by Jim. It has a 6" Shilen barrel, long steel ejector and his custom front sight. Jim line bored the .44 cylinder to .45 Colt.

Shoots pretty good, too. Target is at 25 yds. off a sand bag.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is another Stroh gun that I bought used. Also in .45 Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice, DF.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Come on Craig, easy on Reeder. grin

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
That is gorgeous Ed

Buy once, cry once.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry, I must've forgot how much I love uneven "engraving" that goes right across the tip of a screw. crazy

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Come on Craig, easy on Reeder. grin

[Linked Image]

Pretty tough bunch, here... laugh

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Huntington built this .500 JRH Bisley for me. I think it speaks for itself.

[Linked Image]
That is a beaut my friend! I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I know you are looking to get a srh done but here is a pick of the sbh he did that I had. He fitted a bisley grip along with some other mods. Very nice gun.
[Linked Image]

That Bisley grip really apeals to me. The SBH's square trigger guard always seems to pinch my finger under recoil. Also, I have large hands and the plow handle just dosent do it for me. The Bisley looks to have a more natural contour for the hand.
For me the bisley is the only option when shooting the big bores. Not that its needed on that 44, but I've grown very fond of it over the years. It fits me well and allows me to comfortably shoot harder recoiling guns with much better control.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stock RRH 5.5" 45 Colt. He did the usual trigger work and forcing cone work along with the sights. The sights are a 9/32" aperture rear and fiberoptic front post calibrated for a 300-grain bullet in the 1100 fps neighborhood. The sights weren't cheap as he had to fabricate the rear aperture but I balked at a red dot (I'm 64 and the usual blade/post type sights are a problem due to stiff lens in my eye whistle ) which to my eyes destroy the "look" of a revolver. While I haven't shot it yet I've done a lot of dry firing and while I focus on the front post, the aperture stands out quite strongly as you can see. It all "looks good" at about 80% of arms length. The fiberoptic red doesn't stand out against this red background but does well against earth tone colors which is what I want for hunting whitetails.

Mr. Bowen is a pleasure to work with, came up with exactly I was thinking and his work is of the first order.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, so far seems to work for my eyes; in fact, better than I was counting on.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Stock RRH 5.5" 45 Colt. He did the usual trigger work and forcing cone work along with the sights. The sights are a 9/32" aperture rear and fiberoptic front post calibrated for a 300-grain bullet in the 1100 fps neighborhood. The sights weren't cheap as he had to fabricate the rear aperture but I balked at a red dot (I'm 64 and the usual blade/post type sights are a problem due to stiff lens in my eye whistle ) which to my eyes destroy the "look" of a revolver. While I haven't shot it yet I've done a lot of dry firing and while I focus on the front post, the aperture stands out quite strongly as you can see. It all "looks good" at about 80% of arms length. The fiberoptic red doesn't stand out against this red background but does well against earth tone colors which is what I want for hunting whitetails.

Mr. Bowen is a pleasure to work with, came up with exactly I was thinking and his work is of the first order.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

George, that looks pretty cool. How good can you shoot it, as in how tight are your groups with your antique eyes with that set up as compared to conventional target sights back in your younger days when you could see...?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ha! Well, to be honest I think it's going to work out better for me than Bowen's very good patridge type sights just replaced. I haven't shot out to my 12" gong at a hundred yards yet but over a sandbag I shot a fist sized group at thirty yards with my hunting load. A casual first test.

The red bead is quick to be picked up and the white, outlined aperture while not in focus is very apparent. At first breath, I was Leary of the 9/32" aperture being too big but worse would be a too small, light restricting, peak hole. As in most places they are hunted, I seem to see whitetails a lot in dim light.

Either that or I am developing cataracts or producing more floaters. D

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 15 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,676
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.