-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a deer make it over 20 feet with the 30-30. The 270 and 30-06 with the abundance and low price of ammo, is as good as it needs to be.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A pair of guys were going to Africa,and had come to the range for a sight in session with a pair of 7 Rem Mags. I had my chronograph and a 270 built by Dale Goens for which I was doing some load work.They asked, could they chronograph their ammo?

Sure.

The Federal 160 NPT factory stuff gave about 2840 in one rifle,about 2880 in the other.This is as much as a "normal" 280 will give with top handloads.

Both were surprised when my handloads for the 270 gave over 2900 fps with 150 Nosler Partitions.What I didn't tell them was that at that time I had a 7 Rem Mag with a long throat,longer than standard bullet seating, and 24" Krieger barrel that comfortably gave 3125 with a 160 gr bullet and almost 3300 fps with a 140 and charges of 7828 and IMR4831 that got hunted all over the continent for about 12 years,without a hint of any problem,never a blown primer and good case life until the barrel finally burned out.

No 270 or 280 will come close to those numbers.And despite more 7 mags than I can recall, and even more 270's,(with half a dozen or so 280's tossed into the mix) I have never seen a 270 or 280 that would come close to any of them.

But see enough of the example cited above and it isn't hard to conclude that a 7 Rem Mag is not much more than a fire breathing 270 or 280.I have seen a couple of 7 mag user walk away from a chronograph session scratching their heads.

But there are no mysteries with cartridges;generally everything can be explained when we bump into what we think are these velocity anomalies...whether it's a question of pressures,barrel/throat dimensions, case capacity,thin brass,free bore, bullet bearing surface, barrel length, powders used( some having more energy like double based vs single based,or being better suited, etc etc.There are a million variables,and if you only work with one or two samples of anything it's easy to come to varying conclusions.

As a general rule, though,case capacity will win out in any velocity race, and many times it will not show to a great degree except with the heaviest bullets for caliber.So we end up with these discussions concluding that a 7 Rem Mag is not that much faster than a 270 or 280,until we try to load 160's in each and discover that a 7 Rem Mag will outdistance either by 150-200 fps if all things are equal...or try loading 175's in a 280 and breaking 2900 fps sometime....Good Luck.

You can do it with a 7 Rem Mag.

None of this matters much to game animals and if you shoot them at more or less "normal" distances, but I never met a 270, 280, or 30/06 (much as I have liked and used all three)that could hang with a 7 Rem Mag at distances past 300 yards.For velocity and trajectory it is necessary to go to a 300 magnum of some sort to stay with it,and then you are going to get kicked a lot harder in the process.

But the 7 Rem Mag does exactly what Les Bowman and Mike Walker intended it to do back in 1962(after several years of testing in the field before it was introduced)...give a 160 gr bullet 3050 fps (more than the 280 could muster),provide a flatter trajectory past 300 yards than you could get with a 270,280,or a 30/06,while kicking less than any 300 magnum available at the time.Not bad trade off's considering it also kills elk and most other BG animals without a sweat at long range.

The fact that a few zunzies have gotten their hands on one since then has not bothered me in the least. I've seen that happen with lots of popular cartridges, especially the 30/06. smile

Worth repeating...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I guess I could care less what a headlamp says about rifles, but I'm not a 7 RM fan, either....just think that if you're gonna use a rim, it should be a sho-nuff MAG, and not something that can be nipped at by any number of standard chamberings with less powder, blast, etc. It's also not the greatest in TCs, which I load for in addition to my bolt guns. If I need more than a 7-08/x57/280, I'm moving to a bigger bore anyway. Just my nickel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

quote:
A good man with a good hunting rifle can reliably hit big game at ranges that the .270 Win cannot be depended upon to deliver reliable bullet performance.quote.

John Burns, please correct me if I'm wrong but are you not the one who uses the .243 for long range shooting? If so, the above comment seems to suggest that the .243 outdoes the .270 in performance. Having shot both extensively I find that hard to believe.

Not trying to be argumentative but I wonder if you could clarify that point for me.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

Killing at longer range is ALL about BC and velocity. In a SAAMI .243 Win, I can send a hunting bullet of .532 BC (or .547 with the Hybrid, which many guys have success with) at 3100 fps from a 26" barrel. A .270 Win can hit about 3000 fps with a 150gr hunting VLD (.531 BC) from an equal length barrel. This translates to the .243 having less drift in the wind, and proper impact velocities for expansion at longer ranges.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's really amazing is that gun writers are able to write as much as they do in a positive vein about so many differently named cartridges when the differences are as small as they are. The truth is that we could easily get by with half a dozen cartridges. We really are spoiled in this regard - and the 7 mags, stuff I've never really used or that I had much use for- fit as well as any into the redundant scheme of things.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Petzal doesn't like the "hit 'em again 7",maybe hes got a good reason!

Actually if you have to hit em again with a 7, you should take shooting lessons before wasting time on the internet posting BS

Well said Jeff! Some one had to make that point. LOL! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A pair of guys were going to Africa,and had come to the range for a sight in session with a pair of 7 Rem Mags. I had my chronograph and a 270 built by Dale Goens for which I was doing some load work.They asked, could they chronograph their ammo?

Sure.

The Federal 160 NPT factory stuff gave about 2840 in one rifle,about 2880 in the other.This is as much as a "normal" 280 will give with top handloads.

Both were surprised when my handloads for the 270 gave over 2900 fps with 150 Nosler Partitions.What I didn't tell them was that at that time I had a 7 Rem Mag with a long throat,longer than standard bullet seating, and 24" Krieger barrel that comfortably gave 3125 with a 160 gr bullet and almost 3300 fps with a 140 and charges of 7828 and IMR4831 that got hunted all over the continent for about 12 years,without a hint of any problem,never a blown primer and good case life until the barrel finally burned out.

No 270 or 280 will come close to those numbers.And despite more 7 mags than I can recall, and even more 270's,(with half a dozen or so 280's tossed into the mix) I have never seen a 270 or 280 that would come close to any of them.

But see enough of the example cited above and it isn't hard to conclude that a 7 Rem Mag is not much more than a fire breathing 270 or 280.I have seen a couple of 7 mag user walk away from a chronograph session scratching their heads.

But there are no mysteries with cartridges;generally everything can be explained when we bump into what we think are these velocity anomalies...whether it's a question of pressures,barrel/throat dimensions, case capacity,thin brass,free bore, bullet bearing surface, barrel length, powders used( some having more energy like double based vs single based,or being better suited, etc etc.There are a million variables,and if you only work with one or two samples of anything it's easy to come to varying conclusions.

As a general rule, though,case capacity will win out in any velocity race, and many times it will not show to a great degree except with the heaviest bullets for caliber.So we end up with these discussions concluding that a 7 Rem Mag is not that much faster than a 270 or 280,until we try to load 160's in each and discover that a 7 Rem Mag will outdistance either by 150-200 fps if all things are equal...or try loading 175's in a 280 and breaking 2900 fps sometime....Good Luck.

You can do it with a 7 Rem Mag.

None of this matters much to game animals and if you shoot them at more or less "normal" distances, but I never met a 270, 280, or 30/06 (much as I have liked and used all three)that could hang with a 7 Rem Mag at distances past 300 yards.For velocity and trajectory it is necessary to go to a 300 magnum of some sort to stay with it,and then you are going to get kicked a lot harder in the process.

But the 7 Rem Mag does exactly what Les Bowman and Mike Walker intended it to do back in 1962(after several years of testing in the field before it was introduced)...give a 160 gr bullet 3050 fps (more than the 280 could muster),provide a flatter trajectory past 300 yards than you could get with a 270,280,or a 30/06,while kicking less than any 300 magnum available at the time.Not bad trade off's considering it also kills elk and most other BG animals without a sweat at long range.

The fact that a few zunzies have gotten their hands on one since then has not bothered me in the least. I've seen that happen with lots of popular cartridges, especially the 30/06. smile

To match the original 7mmRM velocities of 1962, with factory ammo, step up to the 7mm Weatherby. That being said...is any Elk going to know if it's hit by the Remington or the Weatherby versions?! I kinda doubt it. But YMMV

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Klik,

It doesn't amaze me "that gun writers are able to write as much as they do in a positive vein about so many differently named cartridges when the differences are as small as they are."

Many of the longest threads on the Campfire are those with headings like ".270 or .280?" or "Thinking bout a different 7mm magnum."

Then there's the endless parade of "perfect" 6.5mm cartridges that would supposedly end all hunting cartridge development over the past decade or two: .260 Remington, 6.5/.284, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5SAUM, etc. etc. etc.

A bunch of cartridges have been promoted here just as enthusiastically as in any magazines by the thousands of Campfire gun writers, though in general the gun magazines tend to be more civil, but many stretch points because of their advertisers.

I have also seen points about various cartridge stretched considerably on the Campfire! That might be hard to believe, but there it is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Actually if you have to hit em again with a 7, you should take shooting lessons before wasting time on the internet posting BS

That was said in jest.... there was a thread a while back on the 7RM and a PH dubbed it the "hit 'em again 7"....guess he didn't like it either

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That was said in jest.... there was a thread a while back on the 7RM and a PH dubbed it the "hit 'em again 7"....guess he didn't like it either

I think that was logcutter- not a PH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought it was JJhack?????

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 05/05/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmmm, you might be right. It was one of the two grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyway didn't mean to get any ones shorts in a knot!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Guess that's why the .22 caliber rifles are so popular for deer with the current generation.....they keep getting their Kotex knocked loose when they fire a real rifle."

So far this is the best point made, IMO. grin

The 7 Rem mag filled a niche back in the day, and it's still a great round. It gave average Joe Sixpack a nearly 7mm Weatherby at an affordable price. There wasn't the deluge of new cartridges we've recently experienced back in 1962, and the alternative to the 7 Rem mag was the 264, which had experienced bad press.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, ol' Logcutter used to bust my chops because I liked the 7mm Rem mag so much. grin

He also knew that I respected JJ Hack's opinion on hunting and rifles, and would throw that "hit 'em again" quote at me now and again.

Funny stuff. BTW, sold my 7mm mag and am back to hunting mostly with a .25-06 anymore, time to time a .30-06 and maybe too often with a .375 H&H. Just for fun. Variety in rifles isn't necessarily a bad thing. And I still like the 7mm Rem mag!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

quote:
A good man with a good hunting rifle can reliably hit big game at ranges that the .270 Win cannot be depended upon to deliver reliable bullet performance.quote.

John Burns, please correct me if I'm wrong but are you not the one who uses the .243 for long range shooting? If so, the above comment seems to suggest that the .243 outdoes the .270 in performance. Having shot both extensively I find that hard to believe.

Not trying to be argumentative but I wonder if you could clarify that point for me.

Jim

Jim,

I personally would not recommend the .243 Win/ 105gr VLD past 800yds, give or take, on deer or antelope. The aforementioned .270 Win / 150gr VLD would get about the same max range based on the BC and velocity.

The 7mm Rem Mag/ 180gr VLD @ 2975fps is simply a whole different animal. I would expect good bullet performance at 1100yds (in thin air) on elk sized game.

As was said before the .270 Win is nothing to "sneeze at" but it falls somewhat behind the 7mm Rem Mag when both are loaded to max performance.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Or, as Henry Ford once said, "there is no substitute for cubic inches."

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody after him coined a catchier phrase along the same lines: "There is no replacement for displacement" grin

Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,822
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.