Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I seem to have developed some kind of (for lack of a better word) spasms!
Started out like everyone else, once in a while having what seems like a lightening
bolt that suddenly travels thru the body causing all the muscles to contract very
hard and fast! Sometimes it feels like my body jumps inches off the bed! I understand
everyone seems to have this once in a while but I have it so bad now that I can't
lay down at all! When I try to sleep, I get these waves of spasms for hours
and hours. I now get only 2 or 3 hours a week it seems of sleep. I thought it was
a side effect of one of the medications I take so I stopped taking it and the doctor
prescribed something else but that isn't it! She also prescribed a type of muscle
relaxer to try and stop the spasms and let me sleep! Didn't work either! These
spasms are now beginning to happen while sitting also!

This though is the part that really scares me! Taken from Wikipedia...

Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute. Most often, myoclonus is one of several signs in a wide variety of nervous system disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), serotonin toxicity, some cases of Huntington's disease, some forms of epilepsy, and occasionally in intracranial hypotension. Some researchers indicate that jerks persistently may even cause early tremors.

I knew the rest of my days weren't going to be good with all the damage to my old body but I never expected something like this!
I see a neurologist next week, maybe he'll be able to deal with it. Not being able to lay down and rest anymore is really really bad!
If any of you know of anyone who has had similar symptoms and it wasn't one of the nasty disease's listed above, please let me know!
I could use some good news for a change!

P.S. If ya got a minute, could ya please take a look at this https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ttle_girl_needs_handicap_acc#Post8825757 I vote once a day for this little angel!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck to you. Sorry you are having a bad time.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you spend enough time researching it online you'll find you could have anything from tetanus to menopause.

If that doctor ain't doing it for you, go to another, which it seems you are doing.

Good luck

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time to get out the chicken blood, crows bones, mouse turds and start gettin' revved up.

Denny

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very sorry to hear of your condition. I am absolutely not a medical expert, but I have read a bit about what is called a ketogenic diet as a treatment for various neurological upsets. Basically, by eating almost no carbohydrates, your body enters a state of "ketosis," which has been shown to shut down some peoples' epileptic-type disorders. I only bring this up as one possible treatment option, and many doctors may not know about it or be very skeptical, as it means you would need to get most of your calories by fat and protein (and skip bread, pasta, etc.)., which they may think is risky. I eat a very low carb diet myself, but just becasue I actually think that is the healthiest diet in general (but am not in ketosis all the time).

I wish you good luck. It is very hard to think clearly when you aren't getting your rest, so hang in there and have patience with yourself.

Last edited by gun_fever; 05/05/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
btdt. I would advise you to have a allergy screen done asap. there many allergies that will cause the symptoms you have.
my wife is allergic to eggs. if exposed to even slight amounts she has spasms when laying down. some are quite violent. one time I counted the intervals between spasms and it was 4 seconds.
many bruises on me from her twitches.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you spend enough time researching it online you'll find you could have anything from tetanus to menopause.

If that doctor ain't doing it for you, go to another, which it seems you are doing.

Good luck

HA! I think your right! The more I research the worse it seems!!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Good luck to you. Sorry you are having a bad time.

Thanks!!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Time to get out the chicken blood, crows bones, mouse turds and start gettin' revved up.

Denny

It sure couldn't hurt!!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gun_fever
Very sorry to hear of your condition. I am absolutely not a medical expert, but I have read a bit about what is called a ketogenic diet as a treatment for various neurological upsets. Basically, by eating almost no carbohydrates, your body enters a state of "ketosis," which has been shown to shut down some peoples' epileptic-type disorders. I only bring this up as one possible treatment option, and many doctors may not know about it or be very skeptical, as it means you would need to get most of your calories by fat and protein (and skip bread, pasta, etc.)., which they may think is risky. I eat a very low carb diet myself, but just becasue I actually think that is the healthiest diet in general (but am not in ketosis all the time).

I wish you good luck. It is very hard to think clearly when you aren't getting your rest, so hang in there and have patience with yourself.

Thanks! I appreciate it! I'll look into it!!!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deerstalker
btdt. I would advise you to have a allergy screen done asap. there many allergies that will cause the symptoms you have.
my wife is allergic to eggs. if exposed to even slight amounts she has spasms when laying down. some are quite violent. one time I counted the intervals between spasms and it was 4 seconds.
many bruises on me from her twitches.

OH sorry to hear that! I'll ask the doc's about it!!! Thanks!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
look up the side effects of any medication you are taking.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by rem141r

Thanks! There was one that could have done it but I stopped taking it a month ago. I'm hoping it's a prescription problem and not something else!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman

Thanks! There was one that could have done it but I stopped taking it a month ago. I'm hoping it's a prescription problem and not something else!

I got that from some heart medication when I was hospitalized once. It was so bad that I was actually afraid to go to sleep because that was when it was the worse. Dr. changed medication, and it went totally away.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BGunn
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman

I got that from some heart medication when I was hospitalized once. It was so bad that I was actually afraid to go to sleep because that was when it was the worse. Dr. changed medication, and it went totally away.

Thanks! I"m sorry that happened to ya but glad the med change worked! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,764
Posts18,515,316
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.