Print Thread
Hop To
J
JRE11 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The set up instructions for this die seem kind of generalized as if its a one size fits all in terms of getting a .002 shoulder bump. If I'm neck sizing 270 cases from two different rifles with different head spaces, how can you ensure a .002 shoulder bump for both sets of cases without adjusting the die between the two different sets of cases. Seems like you would set die per instructions, run a case through, take a shoulder measurement, then adjust according. Then you would repeat this process for the next set of brass from the second rifle. What am I missing?

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It should be pretty ez. I have one for my 308. I think what you want to do is take out the neck bushing....raise a piece of brass up into your press. Then screw the die down till it touches the shoulder...give it one last tiny tiny turn down and snug the lock ring. You could then test size: a couple pieces of brass without the neck bushing in there. Once you have the shoulder setting the way you want it then you could put your neck sizing bushing back in go to work. I usually find it helpful to have my lock ring snug...but still loose enough I can turn it by hand with some effort.

Btw...as crazy as this sounds instead of playing with bushings on different brands of brass I often use the bump die w/no bushing in it in conjunction w/a lee collect die.
I might have a rough chamber but i run into sticky extraction unless I FL size every 3-4 loadings with full power loads,.

Last edited by kraky111; 05/07/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add me to the list that does it like kraky111. Body die, as required, followed by Lee Collet Die.

J
JRE11 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sounds good. I'll try setting the die without the bushing at first. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the bushing bump die size the case body? This question came up somewhere else a couple of years ago and it was determined that the bushing bump die die not size the body

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
IC B2

J
JRE11 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
It does not size the body, only bumps the shoulder. I have a FL die I can use later down the road if needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on whether or not you have the Bushing NK die or the Bushing FL die. I have and use the FL die, without bushing. I don't use all the fancy case measuring equipment. I just take a 'snug' case and screw the die down till it touches and give resistance, then lower the ram and case and screw the die in a touch more. Then size the case & shoulder and try it in the rifle. If still snug, I'll just screw the die in a touch more and try again, until the case chambers without resistance. Then neck size with the Lee Collet Die. Works for me, though if you ask how much I bumped the shoulder back, I don't have the actual measurement. But...really...does it matter. Once the body die is set, you are good to go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.