Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I went down to Red Bluff, CA last Friday with a buddy to do a little hog hunting.

We stayed in a little ranch cabin:

[Linked Image]

We met with the guide and began glassing at about 4 PM Friday.

We glassed valleys like this:

[Linked Image]

and This:
[Linked Image]

we spotted a group of pigs grazing in a wheat field north of us. The Wheat had just sprouted seed heads and was "tasty". The field was adjacent to a small pond that the pigs had been wallowing in.

The pond is the blue spot among the trees directly above the pigs butt (photo from an old hunt). There is a small line of greenery in the plowed fields in the photo. We will get back to this.

[Linked Image]

Wind was from the North, so we had to swing South of the pigs, and come in from the West side of them.

we drove the 4 wheeler (a polaris ranger) around, dismounted and began the stalk from about 400 yards.

The Upper field in the photo was still brown and planted in Safflower. The Lower field has greened up and had wheat that the pigs were eating was about a foot high. We crossed the Safflower feild and were about 100 yards West (crosswind) and 150 yards North. Then we began the serious part of the stalk. My Buddy had never Hog Hunted before so I gave him the first try at the pig.

The guide led us down the "green strip" between the fields (its just a small drainage canal/creek, and into the Wheat.

The pigs were gone!

The guide led us a little forward and we found them, 45 yards farther North (feeding into the wind) and in a little depression. The Giude picked out a boar, gave my buddy the OK to shoot when it turned sideways. My Buddy stared at hog balls through his scope for a minute or so, then the boar turned and the shot went off.

DROPPED it like a sack of manure! My buddy lost sight of the boar because it dropped so fast that it was gone from his view instantly!

[U[Linked Image]

A few fist bumps later, this photo was taken.

The hunt started at 4. By 5:40 the hog was dressed and in the cooler.

A hopeful beginning!

More to come

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The hog weighed 155 field dressed.

We aged him about 18 months.

[Linked Image]

the 7mm Mag 160 partition did its job. Lung/Spine/Lung shot.

Autopsy photo.

[Linked Image]

It was now my turn.

We went out again and saw nothing the rest of the night.

But the giude began telling us about "Blondie" a Blond Boar that had shown up and began injuring the local boars, and harrassing the girls. It was a wily one that had been living in the hills and coming in at night to chase piggy tail. There were several blonde piglets around to testify to his success.

The ranch we hunted is FREE RANGE. The guides require us to shoot boys only. The females are left as brood stock. They are NOT fed or fenced. But the females have learned the rules. Boars, have also learned the rules and stay away from humans.

we will come back to this point.

The sun goes down Friday. One shot, One pig.

More to come,

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Saturday at the crack of dawn we head out for the back of the ranch to see what we can see. About a mile from the lodge, the guide sees a flash of a Coyote in a dry creek bed. he slows down the 4 wheeler and says "what is that". Then

HOLY CRAP ITS BLONDIE.

I jump out and rack a round into the chamber. Blondie hits high gear. I get a clean chance to shoot at 200 yards. I pass.

From this point on, the guide is quoting Clint eastwood Movies:

he is fixated on Blondie.

we hunt the rest of the monring-NOTHING.

We decide to get lunch and lay off until 3 PM.

More to come.

BMT

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The Kentucky derby is on TV and we eat and sit around.

About 2:30 I see hogs get up and start moving. Time to "Kit Up."

We see hogs go into the same wheat field. But wind is from the South. We undertake the same stalk from the other direction. But the pigs are staying among the same wheat and not giving the giude a good look at whether they are Sows or boars. We stay tight to them for 20 minutes and slowly "push" them to get a view of a pig with testicle. NO LUCK. They finally scattered.

The success rate of the guide was plunging. Nothing to shoot at.

We finally set up for the last hour of daylight near the gorge that Blondie ran into.

no luck.

We eat dinner at 10 Pm, got to bed and vow to get out to where Blondie was before sun up.

We are out the door to hunt early. The 4 wheeler won't start. the guide is pissed. but we quickly pile into his truck and get out after Blondie.

As we left, we took a quick look a the sows sleeping near the house. All of them were snoozing away.

We go out to get Blondie one more time, stay on stand for 40 minutes. The guide decides to try another place--OH CRAP the keys to the gates are on the key ring for the 4 wheeler. back to ranch house we go.

As we pass the sows, we notice that the are up and all milling about in a small cattle pen.

The guide looks them over, notices a blond one, a blond one with big teeth--OMG ITS BLONDIE!!

The Horny pig has his nose stuck up the backside of a young sow who clearly was in heat.

The guide screams--SHOOT THAT PIG!

I jump out and chamber a round. The guide screams: WAIT! DON'T HIT THE OTHER PIGS. 2 seconds go by, the pigs clear away from Blondie, I shoot!

A quartering away shot, into the lung, the 150 grain TSX smashed into one lung, and lodged in the spine above the shoulder.

Blondie's reign was over.

Moral of the story--Chasing girls can get your killed.

[Linked Image]

These tusks will be mounted:

[Linked Image]

Overall a good hunt, with a strange ending.

BMT

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good story and nice pigs. Congrats and thanks.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Boar!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does indeed sound like a good time!

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I enjoyed the story and photos. Congrats on a fine pig!

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That kind of hut is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congrats on the great hunt and nice write up. Those hogs should eat well. Looks like nice country also. What guide did you end up hunting with?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool. Congrats.

I seriously question anyone that won't let sows get shot though... evidently they do not know what can happen when pigs overpopulate.... at least in TX it gets bad.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rost - It's different in many parts of California. Pig numbers fluctuate a great deal in response to precip levels. Precip and food production are the primary limiting factors on their numbers because they aren't sustained by feeders as so many are in Texas. On ranches where they need to conserve to maintain huntable numbers, some declare sows off limits. Some don't. Varies from ranch to ranch.

Hunting is different, too, due to terrain. It's mostly a spot and stalk game and long shots are common, although some do hunt behind dogs.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Rost - It's different in many parts of California. Pig numbers fluctuate a great deal in response to precip levels. Precip and food production are the primary limiting factors on their numbers

True. The ranch had lower hog number this year because of a very good acorn crop. They wander away and into the Coast range.

The numbers are expected to get worse as the rainfall is so poor this year.

Next year, the ranch is booked up already. Not from demand, but from the landowners decision to reduce hunting in response to the dry weather.

BMT

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It's been that way for as long as I can remember -- boom and bust with the rains -- and I hunted hogs in Calif. for over 30 years. Here's a hint for anyone else looking to hunt hogs in Calif.: Ask if the ranch has barley. The stuff is like crack for hogs... assuming you time it right. Probably not much barley now with the drought.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VERY cool my bro-tha!!! Glad you had a good time, and now you have a well stocked freezer. That's some pretty country up there. Further up North is where I used to deer and bear hunt, in the Trinity Alps.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Different, yeah. If you heard somebody in most areas of Texas talk about "glassing" for hogs, they might be talking about trying to tarp them in slow curing epoxy resin, but not looking at them through binos. My average shot is less than 50 yards.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Same here in NW Florida Mike , we get 50 yard shots IF it been bush hogged.

Great story and pictures thanks.
Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Got the mounted pig back a few weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

The TSX that did the dirty work is mounted on that Plaque.

BMT

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I like that!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
BMT,

Nice trophy! I really enjoyed your write-up too. Add a bit more flourish and polish and it is magazine-worthy. A truly enjoyable read! You have skill with story-telling, and hog hunting apparently!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great story about the hunt and a very good looking mount! Congrats!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the mount with the recovered bullet! Congrats and thanks for the write-up!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent storytelling BMT; thanks.

Looks like a great time!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Brian!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,248
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.