Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Well, got the bold installed finally. Should have bought the Timney. frown

What was/is the problem? I've used a half dozen or so Bolds over the years. Other than a bit of wood removal they were all drop ins. I'm thinkin' if you had a problem with the Bold, you probably
would have had the same problem with a Timney.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First, the safety lever is so long it completely blocked the bolt from opening/closing. While bending the lever outward/downward to provide clearance for the bolt, the knurled thumb knob fell off the lever. It was poorly soldered on. The lever now sticks WAY out to the right. After the lever was adjusted, I epoxied the knob back on.

Next, the pull weight was about 8 lbs. When I backed the weight adjustment screw out 2 turns, it fell out bringing the threads from the aluminum body with it. I had to screw it back in farther than I wanted to reach the remaining threads and ended up with a heavier pull weight than I wanted. I didn't dare tighten the jam nut for fear of stripping the remaining threads out of the body.

In all, I am quite disappointed. I'm debating whether to return the bold and spend the extra coin for the Timney, or just shorten the weight adjustment screw to get the pull weight I want. Poor quality pisses me off!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As BR said, the safety lever on the Bold is both too long and bent incorrectly to fit into the stocks of rifles whose trigger the Bold is designed to replace.

The lever sticks out too far to clear the inletting and sticks up so high it will hit the bolt shorud on say a Mk X. Whereas, the Timney is a drop-in replacement on the Mk X.

I will no longer install the Boyds triggers. In the few instances where I've had issues with a Timney, they were very helpful and responsive and quickly had things sorted out. Can't say the same for the Bold.

The trigger of a rifle is not a place you want to scrimp on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And, if it appears the thing was not going to work for you, you shouldn't have been bending on it. You should have returned it the way it was. If I were the store I wouldn't take it back!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good to know, never used a Bold or Timney with the side safety.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My original point on not fooling with cheap triggers.

They won't take it back after you've worked on it.

If I was stuck with that situation, I'd tap the stripped out screw to the next larger set screw, get a weaker spring and tweak it until it worked. I have a box of springs I got years ago from Brownell.

If it had creap I'd hone the sear bearing surfaces glass smooth, careful to keep the surfaces true.

I think I could make it work. The extra $40 bucks a Timney costs will make all that fixing time pretty cheap hourly labor. If on a professional basis, you'd starve.

And that would definitely be my last of those triggers.

IMHO,

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22WRF
And, if it appears the thing was not going to work for you, you shouldn't have been bending on it. You should have returned it the way it was. If I were the store I wouldn't take it back!

You don't ever have to worry about me returning something I bought from you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grind off the Mauser rear hump and reduce the spring.
I add a Win M70 type safety.

That is cheap [$32 and the best solution], if one has the tools, tooling, and can get the safety.

Brownells is out of stock.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/two-position-safety-kit-prod9916.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=WISNER

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
G
I've got an Ed DeLorge M70 2-position safety kit (for Mausers and Springfields) that I would sell. It appears to be similar (if not identical) to the Chapman kit that Brownells carries. $30.00 shipped.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, 3333vl, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 11 invisible), 13,961 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,250
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.