Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In the midst of a never-ending war with Western Hackberry here, around the foundation and along the fencelines. Seems like the bird poop seed dispersal system works as advertised.

These things grow a root that goes on forever which is why they survive droughts so well, and why they keep coming back no matter how many times you cut 'em to the ground.

Time to get all chemical on their collective masses. When I cut 'em off at ground level, what can I apply to the stump to take 'em out permanent? Harsh chemicals OK long as I can get 'em over the counter, wife justs wants them dead.

Thanks,

Mike

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest using 2-4-D following label suggestions. Too much chemical will top kill and the active ingredient will not move to the roots. Spray on the foliage and do not cut down until top kill has occurred. Associated grasses will be unaffected.

Some species can be resistant and one may have to hit them a couple years in a row.

Roundup will kill everything, and one leaves a void that's quickly invaded by some other weed.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/07/14.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike,
I buy generic Roundup and a herbicide called 'Rely' Remedy, that's it!, or something like that at my co-op and mix equal parts with a lot of water. It's a 'hot' (in the words of the sales guy) mixture that kills anything green. I had some suckers at one of my peach trees and sprayed the suckers---killed them and has just about killed the tree. No loss since brown rot has invaded. I'll get the name for sure and let you know.

Last edited by MColeman; 05/08/14.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tordon on fresh cut stumps
Thanks

Never overlook an opportunity to LISTEN & LEARN -
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep, Tordon on fresh cut stumps. Remedy (1 quart to 3 quarts diesel) sprayed in a 1 foot band up the trunk, will kill them when they're still standing, and may be a better option if you want the tree to "circulate" some stuff around before cutting it down. Both can be found at the local Tractor Supply.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Permintol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you tried going below ground level a bit and filling the hole with salt?

Another idea would be to ring the tree although it would not be an instant out of the way kind of thing.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Last edited by RMulhern; 05/07/14.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crossbow works on any brush around here, plus it won't kill the grass. Available at the farm stores.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We use a chemical called Remedy to kill all woody plants including small oak trees. It costs about $100 a gallon, but goes a long way.
Might be what Mickey is talking about. Not sure if you can buy it without a license where you live tho.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tordon is what you want, but some states like Colorado won't sell it to private individuals. A licensed commercial spray Co can only buy it. Pretty pricey. I just had some brought back from MO though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Remedy -1 part
Diesel --3 parts
Kills standing brush and trees in fence rows --
Hudson sprayer on trunk
Gotta do it tomorrow --
Good luck to you

Last edited by JOKERB; 05/07/14.

Never overlook an opportunity to LISTEN & LEARN -
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Tordon is about $20 a quart and Remedy is $89 a gallon at Tractor Supply. Neither needs a license in Texas. Tordon comes in a squirt bottle you apply directly to the stump. Mix the Remedy as I advised.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Tordon is about $20 a quart and Remedy is $89 a gallon at Tractor Supply. Neither needs a license in Texas. Tordon comes in a squirt bottle you apply directly to the stump. Mix the Remedy as I advised.

Tordon is absolutely restricted use in Texas! This is what I do for a living, so my recommendation would be a 25% solution of triclopyr (Remedy or Garlon) in diesel sprayed on the tree base up to about 18 inches or on the stump if you plan on cutting it first. I am currently developing a new herbicide specifically for this purpose, but we won't have a Section 3 label until sometime this Fall, hopefully.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
In the midst of a never-ending war with Western Hackberry here, around the foundation and along the fencelines. Seems like the bird poop seed dispersal system works as advertised.

These things grow a root that goes on forever which is why they survive droughts so well, and why they keep coming back no matter how many times you cut 'em to the ground.

Time to get all chemical on their collective masses. When I cut 'em off at ground level, what can I apply to the stump to take 'em out permanent? Harsh chemicals OK long as I can get 'em over the counter, wife justs wants them dead.

Thanks,

Mike

Dang Birdy, drought has just about did in all our hackberries!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not Tordon RTU. You can buy it for $20 per bottle at Tractor Supply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Garlon is what they are using on cut tamarisk stumps around here. I don't know anything else about it.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remedy and Cidekick. Foliar and on scarred trunks.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
How is it on mesquite? All we ever had was 2-4-D.

Tasahillo (turkey pear)???

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/07/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use this

http://www.genericherbicides.com/triclopyr4ec.aspx

2 gallons shipped to me is $142.27

mix 3 parts diesel to 1 part herbicide and spray the cut stump and the bark to the ground, leave a 3-4 inch stump, wet it well but no runoff

works just like Garlon and Remedy

Last edited by PPosey; 05/07/14.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.