Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 36 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 35 36
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
If Petzal were to read this, I'm sure he'd be smiling. Judging by the length, he hit his mark.

I was just thinking the same thing. Apparently he did. grin

Regards, Guy

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Every one of these courses I've seen except the Keneyathlon is set up for long range hunters/shooters, not your average hunter.

175 to 875 yards is not a good indicator of hunting rifle prowess, as guys must set up to be able to shoot 875 yards, which simply doesn't matter for a hunting rifle. A rifle set up for 875 yards will often have concessions made for the close range snap shots that occur while hunting.... whether in weight, balance, over magnified scopes, etc.

I'd rather see something in a 10-500 yard format. All rifles must be packed in hand or slung, as in the real world an animal can show up at any time. Set up the course in just such a manner where targets may appear at your feet with no warning. Incorporate movers, in the brush at close to medium range. Time limit of 10 seconds for some of the shots, from packed up and moving to shot.

Incorporate targets that need identification, as in "legal" animals, even targets that one must wait for the legal target to clear non-legal targets before firing. Make this wait painstakingly long from an uncomfortable firing position...forcing the issue.

Offhand,kneeling, and sitting shots, as well as the above, along with some of the already included prone/further out shots would make for a better test for hunting.

A rifle needs to be able to do these things to be really practical for general use hunting. Which means light enough to pack, balance to allow good offhand shooting, and a recoil level that allows shooting from a not perfect setup without hurting oneself.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 05/08/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
It would be a pretty big stretch to call the Sporting Rifle Match a good indicator of what makes a capable hunting rifle or cartridge. That match's layout simply isn't how most of us hunt.

Billy, what makes you say that? I haven't shot the course but the website reports that there are shots from 175 to 875 yards, and I believe they're all 6" to 12" plates. There are shots required off of sticks and other "field" positions to prone. That sounds like a pretty legitimate test of a hunting rifle and cartridge. I know I'd sure like to get a chance to go out and try my skills.

Tanner

A 308Win. will do that course just fine.It all comes down to what the guy behind the trigger is capable of.You do not need a magnum case to shoot accurately to 1,000 yds.Lots of 6.5X284s being used in long range competition.Very seldom do you see a magnum being used and if you do it is almost always a 300 Winchester.Using one caliber over another will not turn a crappy shot into a better one.Only time and practice using good form can do that. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every one of these courses I've seen except the Keneyathlon is set up for long range hunters/shooters, not your average hunter.

175 to 875 yards is not a good indicator of hunting rifle prowess, as guys must set up to be able to shoot 875 yards, which simply doesn't matter for a hunting rifle. A rifle set up for 875 yards will often have concessions made for the close range snap shots that occur while hunting.... whether in weight, balance, over magnified scopes, etc.

I'd rather see something in a 10-500 yard format. All rifles must be packed in hand or slung, as in the real world an animal can show up at any time. Set up the course in just such a manner where targets may appear at your feet with no warning. Incorporate movers, in the brush at close to medium range. Time limit of 10 seconds for some of the shots, from packed up and moving to shot.

Incorporate targets that need identification, as in "legal" animals, even targets that one must wait for the legal target to clear non-legal targets before firing. Make this wait painstakingly long from an uncomfortable firing position...forcing the issue.

Offhand,kneeling, and sitting shots, as well as the above, along with some of the already included prone/further out shots would make for a better test for hunting.

Sounds fun, but I think that would test physical prowess more than it would test a rifles ballistic capabilities... Which is undoubtedly more important in the grand scheme of things.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It doesn't need to be a test of physical prowess. We all hunt at different intensities, and I wouldn't want any sort of rules where a team running the course would beat those walking and stalking, or doing the course from a wheelchair.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well played.... you have no idea what your talking about.

There is no team. There is no time score. Only 4 minutes to shoot 6 targets.... which is more than enough time. Everyone is doing their best to help you make hits. But obviously, you know more about it than I do.

Go check out the web page.... look at the picks.... and the range card. I shot a sub 9lb. .260... the same gun I hunt. Running the same DTC on the SS12x that I run at home. I came away a better shooter, I bet you'd like it.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

A rifle needs to be able to do these things to be really practical for general use hunting. Which means light enough to pack, balance to allow good offhand shooting, and a recoil level that allows shooting from a not perfect setup without hurting oneself.

Sounds like a prime chance to set up a new type of game, since you don't like how the rest are done.

For me, and this is just me, it really takes nothing much from 10-500 just range it and shoot and favor the wind most days.

Therefore the short range stuff just doesn't do it for me for practice.

But I could certainly see that if you incorporate these ideas, you may come up with something that quite a few folks would like to play around with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jack O'Connor was once told by an Indian guide, "Any gun good. Shoot um good." I think he meant put the bullet in the right place and break out the skinning knives.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe Petzal has no problem with the 7mag. He wrote an article.

And it worked.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You can game the SRM.... and pretty much everyone else did... by shooting a 17lb chassis rifle, brake/suppressed, using your blue-tooth Exbal. Or you can look at it as a pretty real simulation of shots you'd get 'out west'.

Seriously.... I shot my [bleep] coyote/deer rifle at the SRM. I made no concessions.... at all. I had no Kestral, I had no 'real time' weather data, I had no wind meter. I didn't even have a drop chart. I had a bipod, a backpack, some sticks, and a spotting scope. Sound familiar?

By the way.... I pounded the 875 target en route to a 5/6 on that stage.... shoulda made more concessions.

None of those shots would have made me nervous had I been holding a 8.5lb Seven Mag wearing appropriate optics (3-9 SSish). In fact, by target number four... I was longing for .625/3k+.... You couldn't have paid me to shoot a .270.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I couldn't agree more, and neither would Jeff Cooper or Randy Cain.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It doesn't need to be a test of physical prowess. We all hunt at different intensities, and I wouldn't want any sort of rules where a team running the course would beat those walking and stalking, or doing the course from a wheelchair.

Unless you are an eastern treestand shooter, having to scoot and shoot is fundamental. It is also a test of whether you can make the shot with an elevated heart rate. If folks can't see the value in that......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Uh-oh. We got Jeff Cooper thrown into the discussion. And TAK is talking about hunting. This should get pretty funny pretty quick.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow nine pages. Suffice to say, in my experience a 7RM with a 160 or 175gr bullet is one hell of a killer. I have a friend with over ten safaris under his belt and all he's used are two calibers, a 7Mag and a 458.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

There is no team. There is no time score. Only 4 minutes to shoot 6 targets.... which is more than enough time. Everyone is doing their best to help you make hits. But obviously, you know more about it than I do.

Go check out the web page.... look at the picks.... and the range card. I shot a sub 9lb. .260... the same gun I hunt. Running the same DTC on the SS12x that I run at home. I came away a better shooter, I bet you'd like it.

I didn't say anything about a team or time score on the NRA Sporting Rifle Match. I was referencing the physical part of an event (any event), which may be accomplished by timed movements between targets. But this would cut out a lot of shooters, so the actual physicality involved could be limited somewhat. Though an elevated heart rate is a great test for hunting.

Plenty of western hunting involves close in shooting. To not practice for it seriously handicaps one when it comes time to make such a shot under real conditions. So a rifle that excels at a long range target event may be a poor choice for all around use.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495

For me, and this is just me, it really takes nothing much from 10-500 just range it and shoot and favor the wind most days.

Therefore the short range stuff just doesn't do it for me for practice.

But I could certainly see that if you incorporate these ideas, you may come up with something that quite a few folks would like to play around with.

Gunsite has been doing exactly that for about 30yrs. Randy Cain teaches a similar course about twice each year. He typically teaches it once at his place in FL in FEB or early MAR and elsewhere as clients request.

I'm well into my fourth decade of being a student of rifle-craft. After my early infantry days, I first heard of Jeff Cooper's writings and knew that his experience and perspectives were truly unique. As a young infantryman, I knew I'd hardly recieved what I considered "professional" rifle marksmanship training. Several years later in SOTIC, a fellow student from 1st Ranger BN related to us that the BN commander had personally told him that sniper training was a total waste of time. MSG Rick Boucher threatened to open SOTIC up to the 82nd Abn in 86 because SF/Rangers wouldn't fill the slots in his course, the commanders thought it was silly. The ONLY unit that was training LR rifle-craft at the time was CAG/Delta.

For a generation there has been a huge gap between what SOF units train for on the flat range, mostly 50m and closer, and the select few that get sniper training, which is typically employed from 400-800m. The white paper, "Taking back the Infantry Half-Kilometer" delves into the history of US Army riflecraft a century ago, and is equally applicable big-game hunting, especially western big-game hunting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Guys gonna be using them 7 Rem.Mags for canoe paddles now that the 26 Nozler is out!!! smirk

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I didn't say anything about a team or time score on the NRA Sporting Rifle Match. I was referencing the physical part of an event (any event), which may be accomplished by timed movements between targets. But this would cut out a lot of shooters, so the actual physicality involved could be limited somewhat. Though an elevated heart rate is a great test for hunting.

Plenty of western hunting involves close in shooting. To not practice for it seriously handicaps one when it comes time to make such a shot under real conditions. So a rifle that excels at a long range target event may be a poor choice for all around use.

SRM would be a blast but agree that its outside the realm of "most" hunters.

I know alot more guys that feel 300y is a longshot, than those that actually even think about shooting farther.

For longrange hunting or SRM, the 7RM would be great but am I reading it correctly that there are qty = 61 targets at SRM? Seems that many guys are going with a lighter rifle these days, not heavier. 61 rounds from field positions might wear on a fella shooting a light magnum.

If I copied the range card correctly, these are the distances below. RED values are those above 400y which is my arbitrary range for the average dude, you may think otherwise. GREEN are those 400y or less. Doesn't seem like this course would benefit many average-joes, unless they skipped some targets which could still be a hoot. And to shoot 400y the average dude, with the average rifle/scope/load, would need to zero high at 100y and hold high at 400y or use dotz, yeah?

So taking the SRM out of the equation, and setting a 300-400y limit on range... how bad is the 270 Win vs. the 7RM? I thought that was the intent of the article and OP's question.

Jason

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
400 yards is one heck of a long field shot for most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Tanner
It would be a pretty big stretch to call the Sporting Rifle Match a good indicator of what makes a capable hunting rifle or cartridge. That match's layout simply isn't how most of us hunt.

Billy, what makes you say that? I haven't shot the course but the website reports that there are shots from 175 to 875 yards, and I believe they're all 6" to 12" plates. There are shots required off of sticks and other "field" positions to prone. That sounds like a pretty legitimate test of a hunting rifle and cartridge. I know I'd sure like to get a chance to go out and try my skills.

Tanner

A 308Win. will do that course just fine.It all comes down to what the guy behind the trigger is capable of.You do not need a magnum case to shoot accurately to 1,000 yds.Lots of 6.5X284s being used in long range competition.Very seldom do you see a magnum being used and if you do it is almost always a 300 Winchester.Using one caliber over another will not turn a crappy shot into a better one.Only time and practice using good form can do that. grin

No one said you needed a magnum for 1000 yards.

Originally Posted by Huntz
Guys gonna be using them 7 Rem.Mags for canoe paddles now that the 26 Nozler is out!!! smirk

Eh, not really.

Page 11 of 36 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 54 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.