Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I made myself a knife six years ago and I have carried it on every hunt since. The knife has been named the Pig Zipper because it gets wild hogs naked in a hurry. The original Pig Zipper was made in one day and there was very little attention to detail and no attempt was made at elegance. I don't take good care of my knife and when it gets really tarnished, I throw it in a blast cabinet. I love my knife but the problem is people will find out that I make knives and they want to see my knife. ( I stopped typing, went to my truck, pulled my knife from my pack, and snapped a picture)

This is it. People act like I handed them a turd even when it's clean. [Linked Image]

I don't want people to look at my knife as an example of the knives I make so I decided to make a nice Pig Zipper.

The original Pig Zipper has an O1 tool steel blade which I like for field chores but it is carbon steel and can tarnish. A little tarnish or rust on the blade is not a problem but tarnish and rust around the tang is more difficult to deal with. I decided to make a frame handle knife. The blade is O1 but the frame, guard, and pins are stainless.

[Linked Image]

The scales are spalted maple burl with red G10 liners. I file worked the frame all the way around after getting everything fit.
[Linked Image]

Fitting all the parts is the most time consuming process when making a frame handle knife by hand. I wore out several files.

[Linked Image]

The glue up is never fun when dealing with a dozen pieces but it went pretty smooth and everything pulled together nicely. Here's a pic of the roughed out handle. I like this part of knifemaking most. Finding the handle in that big block of material is where the art comes into play.
[Linked Image]

The knife finished at 9 1/4" OAL. It's a large field knife but feels good in the hand.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...finishmagzipper004_zps491d58d9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...finishmagzipper010_zps912c2862.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...finishmagzipper013_zps14b4a73e.jpg[/img]

It turned out just the way I pictured it in my head. When people find out that I make knives and want to see my knife, I will hand them this bad boy and..............I sold it. I still don't have a nice knife.

Squawsach
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very Nice!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Good one.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
awesome blade...love the file work.......

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Indeed... that's funny! whistle

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done. You do fine work. I really like O-1 when heat treated by a pro.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoyed this post! Very pretty work there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a beautiful knife

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
WOW great job and finished knife. Very interesting, I have never seen a frame handle knife before, pretty cool, looks like a ton work to be hidden under the handles though, but neat.

One question.....what is the black material around the file work on the tang? Looks from the photo like some kind of fill in material.

41Gunner

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's one sexy blade!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
man that is nice

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is a really nice knife, but I think I like your "user" pic better.
I like to see knives that work for a living.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree, the new one is gorgeous but I like the old one too.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 41Gunner
WOW great job and finished knife. Very interesting, I have never seen a frame handle knife before, pretty cool, looks like a ton work to be hidden under the handles though, but neat.

One question.....what is the black material around the file work on the tang? Looks from the photo like some kind of fill in material.

41Gunner

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words.

The black material around the filework is the epoxy used to glue the knife together. It looks black but it is actually a very dark blue.

Squawsach
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
jmho
Tim

this but i want a knife that works more than one that looks pretty......the fact the original pic looks hard used and still ticking is appealing to me......course lots of people seem to be concerned that their knife looks pretty more than how it holds an edge ect....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beautiful knife.
I have a question - What is the purpose for a frame handle knife...? I mean, what is the purpose of two pieces (excluding the guard) instead of one...? Are there some benefits to that design as opposed to the one piece design (where the blade and handle/tang are all one piece...?
Thanks.
And again, that is a beautiful knife that you made.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alright, that made me LOL. Carry some pics on your phone instead.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Nice!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by antlers
That's a beautiful knife.
I have a question - What is the purpose for a frame handle knife...? I mean, what is the purpose of two pieces (excluding the guard) instead of one...? Are there some benefits to that design as opposed to the one piece design (where the blade and handle/tang are all one piece...?
Thanks.
And again, that is a beautiful knife that you made.

There is no functional or practical benefit to a frame handle over a full tang knife. The full tang will obviously be stronger and easier to make. From a user only point of view, making a frame handle knife is silly. I look at knives as tools but a tool can be beautiful and elegant. A frame handle while not as strong as a full tang is still plenty strong.

Squawsach
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
jmho
Tim

Yeah, I gotta agree.

If you decide to make some more down the road, I might be interested...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,582
Posts18,510,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.