Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Looking for a mystery ranch crew cab in coyote color with a small yoke/frame and small waist belt. Let me know if you have one you would be willing to part with for a fair price. Thanks

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
TTT

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great choice. In my opinion the crew cab is the best all around pack. They pop up on lens long range hunting forum pretty often and also on "fee-bay"

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Mitch, I will check those out as well, I see lots for sale but the small/small are a bit hard to find. Figures I would look for a used for awhile before I look to buy new. Do you have any issues with the weight of the pack empty, I am not near Bozeman to try one, a lot of people say the sheer comfort makes the weight less noticeable, that's what I am hoping anyways!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
TTT

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one on ebay. Mine was like new complete with load cells and lid. what a great set up for 4-5 days out. I did a 7 mi. hike with 60 lbs. and what I noticed was less fiddling around with adjustments kind of "set it and forget it"
pretty darn comfortable compared to my previous Pack.
I am so happy with it I bought a used 6500 as well. (for the longer trips)
I will find a load sling for the other frame but I am thinking the crew cab will be the go to for everything. It is so comfortable in daypack mode the added weight is a non issue for me. On extended trips I can make up for the added pack weight with lighter gear and have confidence my pack is not going to fail me out in BFE.
I am willing to carry a few pounds for that confidence,

Last edited by cowkiller; 05/11/14.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
PM sent

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks cow killer, that was what I was hoping to hear.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pjohnson
Thanks Mitch, I will check those out as well, I see lots for sale but the small/small are a bit hard to find. Figures I would look for a used for awhile before I look to buy new. Do you have any issues with the weight of the pack empty, I am not near Bozeman to try one, a lot of people say the sheer comfort makes the weight less noticeable, that's what I am hoping anyways!

This is my two cents on pack weight and I know a lot of guys would disagree and I don't want to start a 9 page debate on a sale add. I feel pack weight isn't near as noticeable as gun weight and if your pack is built right you won't notice a few extra pounds. A few more pounds going in makes 80 more pounds coming out a hell of a lot easier. The waist belt is the key to a good pack and i've seen several high high dollar packs have there waist belt sag or roll only one canyon into a pack out. Mystery ranch is know for being built like a brick [bleep] house and with that comes weight. I don't think you can make a pack that can comfortably carry 80+lb loads without having more weight than a regular day pack, The key being COMFORTABLY. A illegal can carry a 80 pound brick of weed across the boarder with nothing but a piece of garden rope, so naturally any pack with two straps and a belt can carry 80lbs, but the key is doing it comfortably over and over for years to come without having to buy a new pack.

The pack is so over built you would literally have to be trying to make a part of it fail. I had a sitka pack (total crap) and had a shoulder strap completely rip off turning my pack into a purse. I had a k2 dana pack with rip-stop rip right down the middle spilling a meat load and taking every bit of rope I had just to make it back to a road. So naturally when I first saw a crew cab i noticed the extra weight when I had it in my hand but once on my back I didn't notice any difference compared to any other pack and I definitely noticed how over built it was. All of the tie off points and load straps are in the perfect spot and you can literally stand on the pack and use all your weight to tighten a load and not have to worry about ripping a strap.
I would buy the day pack lid, its small and opens up a ton more room/uses on the pack. If you do a over night trip, I tie my sleeping set up to the bottom with the load straps and put all my food/night gear in the day pack lid and try and go in with the middle empty so I can hopefully come out with it full. grin

I will never ever ever understand why people hike in a couple miles with a day pack or "fanny pack" and have no means of taking a animal out without a added trip back out and back in. we always joke that guys with fanny packs/water blatter packs 2 miles in sight see and take great scenery pictures for there living room and guys with meat frames/load packs 2 miles in kill. grin

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Mitch, good stuff! I have been of the mindset to save on weight whenever possible until last fall...no more 4 mile hike-outs for me just to get a pack frame, I am done with that business!

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
TTT

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Got one from Backroads, thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.