Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
They used to be made or sold under the Browning name, but I've only found them from Cabela's these days.

Anyone use the Cabela's kangaroo boot? Like it? How's the waterproofing?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The make 'em, or used to, with and without Goretex. When it is hot, GTX will be hot. No GTX, and they'll leak like a sieve. It is just a leather boot.

S
SCT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used them for bird hunting. I had no trouble with water. The tread can be a little slippery, particularly in a light snow. I would develop hot spots after about 9 or 10 miles.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They used to make waterproof leather boots, TaK. Had to use waterproofing or tallow on them. I know the kangaroo is thin, tough, and light in weight.

I had good luck with red wing boots 50 years ago being waterproof after treatment. I don't know if silicone treatment for chrome tanned leather would work or not on roo, but it works in some cowhide boots.

Last edited by eyeball; 05/12/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
They used to make waterproof leather boots, TaK. Had to use waterproofing or tallow on them. I know the kangaroo is thin, tough, and light in weight.

Well, sort of. If a boot had a Norwegian welt, IE the upper was turned out and actually SEWN to the midsole, and you SEALED the midsole with welt sealer, and then put about two coats of Sno-Seal on said boots, yeah, they'd be "waterproof", sort of, for a while.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, wink

My 16 inch LL Reans would do the job, at least until another rubber bottom and sole was sewn on.

Last edited by eyeball; 05/12/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Kangaroo leather is illegal in California. Imagin that.

Last edited by SEdge; 05/12/14.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a pair of the Brownings years ago. They fit very well and were comfortable to wear with no hot spots. I had some water go over the top of both boots one time while hunting in a flooded branch. It took a month for the green stain to wear completely off my feet. No amount of scrubbing would touch it.

Harry
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SEdge

YGBFKM. Glad I don't pass through there on hunting trips.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Oops I may be wrong, they have removed the restricted in California notation.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I hardly ever hunt kangaroo in CA anymore...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Texas:

I bought a pair of the Cabelas' several years ago when I was looking for a lightweight summer boot. They were light weight, but they quickly became run over on the side, offering little to no ankle support. Only pair of boots that I ever gave away to Goodwill before they were worn out.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Orvis has kangaroo leather boots. Also Wood n' Stream. The Orvis are nice, a little narrow, you can catch them on sale sometime. I don't think Browning makes kangaroo boots any more, but you can sometimes find them like new on Fleabay.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3C63

http://www.kevinscatalog.com/wood-n-stream-upland-kangaroo-hunting-boot.html

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I hardly ever hunt kangaroo in CA anymore...

Probably do better hunting elephants in Texas. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kangaroo leather is very supple. Use accordingly.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Kangaroo leather is very supple. Use accordingly.

Yes.

The top bullwhip makers use it. Expensive too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My all time favorite boots for Africa - and which survied many Safari's in the thorn country of NW Zimbabwe, was a pair of Red Wing Soft Paws made with Kangaroo hide leather.

For SOME hunting, like early deer seasons and Southern Africa in July-Oct, waterproof and insulation is a bad thing. Very bad, in fact. What is needed is lightweight boots that breathe and repel thorns. Kangaroo leather did that, in spades.

I would love to have another pair of Red Wing Soft Paws size 13 uninsulated Kangaroo hide boots.

When my last pair of Kangaroo hide boots fell apart in Zim, I bought a pair of Courtney boots made from split elephant hide. To get them through the airports I dyed them brown and wore them home. I still have them and use them a great deal, and they are now 8 years old with many hard hunts and hikes behind them. And they still look and wear terrific. For most they need some orthotics or inserts added, but with said inserts, they are awesome.

I still want some uninsulated 8 inch Kangaroo leather boots, though.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a pair I've had like 10 years gor-tex lined redheads was high$$ but have done great for me still water prof as any. pretty much as good as rubber, very sturdy soles. would buy another pair in a heat beat , but don't thing bass pro no longer has them .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.