Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Man am I glad I didn't read this thread before I ventured half way around the world to kill African game.......

And to think Selby thought highly of 270's and 30-06's......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I bought a 200 year Ruger 7mm Rem mag in 1976

Wow! That is one old Ruger. wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well if he's trying to stir the pot I think he was successful. For the record I like my 7mag. Yes it's not much more than an 06 or a 270 but it is more. It never hurts to have more and sometimes you just might need it.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have both and like both a lot. My buddy was hunting sheep in the Yukon back in the early '80s and killed a mountain grizzly with his .270 and 130 partitions. The Grizzly fell at the shot but he shot it again whether he needed to or not.

I will never be able to put up the money it takes to hunt brown bear or grizzly, but I would use a .300 mag 200 partition if I did. But does anyone believe a .270 Win. could not kill a brown bear with a 150 partitions?

I've only killed deer with the 7 mag and .270 and for deer my memory cannot distinguish any difference! I've had dramatic bang flops with both as well as sprints after the hit with both. In regards to deer I think a 25-06 kills just as quickly, but I had a land owner ask me to not bring my 25-06 again to use on his deer!

When I'm in the mood, I personally find a 7 mag more exciting than a .270.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dave would like to thank all present and future contributors to this thread. Here's what was likely said over a sammich or a non-alcoholic drink a day or so ago (paraphrased) - Once again, readers, friends and others have spoken to my longevity and relevance. Thank you.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
MD - thank you for a refreshingly common sense post. Petzel makes me laugh - I like his style - I enjoy what he writes. I don't have enough experience to agree/disagree with what he writes (or any other professional gun writer) so I take everything with a couple grains of salt. Then again my collection of hunting rifles is relatively small and "plain" - 2 30-06, 1 7x57, and a .243. All very poor choices I know.... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever my LRF says, I just add 400 yards to it and call it good and use a short barreled 270 with Partitions as well-Just hate that .284 bore.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I read an article by Terry Wieland where he said a lot of these long range hunting shows are smoke and mirrors and deceptionand they aren't on the level. Like when they shoot an elk at say 900 yards and it collapses in its tracks.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I never understand it when .277 guys say they hate .284 bores. But you're certainly not the first I heard say it. I like both. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same as the .277 haters. Sometimes the rig itself takes precedent over the chambering. I have a late 60's PF M70 270 that I wouldn't have bought on a dare, but it belonged to a late family member so I roll it. Unfortunately it shoots too....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never understand it when .277 guys say they hate .284 bores. But you're certainly not the first I heard say it. I like both. smile

I was being sarcastic.
I hunt and compete at distance with 7mm's.
I don't have a 270 Win., but I don't hate them.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Who are the .277 guys that hate .284s?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If we're only worried about numbers, why not skip right over the 7/162 and go for a 30/208? Or a 338/300? Or a 50/750? Those bigger guns put up some impressive numbers, but they aren't very shootable in a rifle somebody wants to pack around the hills.

But the 7 RM is.... by a long ways. And puts up numbers that rival or beat the piss out of guns that recoil a whole lot more. That's the root of my love for the caliber and cartridge.

Tanner

I agree with Tanner and what Dogshooter says about the magnum 7's.It was always good even with yesterday's bullets,as a LR cartridge.Moderate recoil (for what you get),and reasonable rifle weight have always been by products of the cartridge.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been puzzled by folks who say a 7mm or .300 would be too heavy to tote around the mountains.

You can build or buy a rifle in ANY chambering exactly the way you want it. I'll only own 7.5 # hunting rifles from now on. I couldn't care any less about how much powder it uses or how heavy the bullet it pushes happens to be.

You only have to shoot them in the field once

You carry them for days.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Personally I tend to agree, but I shoot a lot and even at a semi-advanced age can take more recoil than some. The first Ultra Light Arms rifle I sot extensively was also the first .300 Winchester Magnum I shot extensively, and it weighed right around 7 pounds with scope. I mostly hunted with 200-grain bullets at 2900 fps, and had no problems. Have hunted with a 7-1/2 pound .338 Winchester Magnum for over 15 years and killed a pile of game from Alaska to Africa.

But I once guided a guy after pronghorn who thought a .338 Winchester was the ideal all-around North American cartridge. I wouldn't argue with that, except he couldn't shoot it worth a damn, and thanks to shooting it too much flinched even when somebody loaned him a .25-06. I finally had him use my .220 Swift, and after flinching BADLY on the first shot, he settled down and shot it very well. He killed a very good pronghorn the next morning with a perfect shot at 150 yards.

One of the problems with many Campfire threads is most shooters assume (whether out of ignorance or arrogance) that everybody else is exactly like them. But I've guided several people who couldn't handle the recoil of a 9-pound 7mm Remington Magnum, despite shooting quit a bit--or perhaps because of shooting quite a bit. Have also hunted with world champion shotgunners who shot tens of thousands of rounds for so many years they couldn't handle the recoil of 1-ounce loads in an 8-pound gas autoloader. But they couldn't stop shooting, because they were addicted.

Humans vary considerably, the reason threads like this go on and on and on and....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

Just a little trick I learned with novice/first timers. Be sure to MAKE them wear muffs that muffle sound as much as possible, and don't let them hear you shoot if they don't have muffs on.

All guns kick less if you can't hear them. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

Believe me, all the people mentioned were muffed to the max. All of this took place LONG after you and I started shooting when any sort of ear protection wasn't "manly."

In recent years I've also found that properly fitting rifle stocks make just as much difference as ear protection. Of course, that wasn't manly for many years either!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
luv2safari
I have seen that in print a time or two, also.
I believe one thing that will make a person flinch for a long time afterwards is to get severly scoped.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've been puzzled by folks who say a 7mm or .300 would be too heavy to tote around the mountains.

You can build or buy a rifle in ANY chambering exactly the way you want it. I'll only own 7.5 # hunting rifles from now on. I couldn't care any less about how much powder it uses or how heavy the bullet it pushes happens to be.

You carry them for days.

In and of itself, it isn't, until you start living out of a pack for days, and carrying all that schidt uphill. Then the weight of EVERYTHING matters, even the rifle, to a point. I'd be the first to agree that you can reach a point of diminishing returns on a rifle PDQ by stripping weight off of it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

You carry them for days.

In and of itself, it isn't, until you start living out of a pack for days, and carrying all that schidt uphill. Then the weight of EVERYTHING matters, even the rifle, to a point. I'd be the first to agree that you can reach a point of diminishing returns on a rifle PDQ by stripping weight off of it.

Phug it. Let's all just build 7.5 pound 50 BMGs. We only shoot it once in the field. whistle

The limit is different for everybody, but somewhere around 20 lbs. of recoil (often less) is where most people hit the wall in terms of utmost field accuracy. Far better to err on the side of less recoil and more shootability then the alternative. A rifle with less recoil and blast will be shot more than the fire breathing alternative. Every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He wasn't advocating a 7.5 pound 50 BMG.

He was simply stating that you don't have to forgo having a magnum if weight is a concern.

Which is true.

A brake and a stock of proper design that fits the shooter will mitigate any increase in recoil.

Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 51 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.