-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
270WSM/150ABLR will do it, sans energy. 7RM pushes the 270 numbers 125-150 yards down range. 162's/3000+ has been the top of the heap, long before Petzal's BS and this thread.

So, that combo aside, whats going to beat .625 150's at 2950?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If we're knocking off a little bullet weight.... then the .264 Win goes 140/.600/3200+....

But you're right.... a .625 at 2900-3000 is about the best ballistic place you can be without paying RUM type cover charges. So, yeah... 150/.625/2950 is rare air also... but it's very new, and very thin as of yet. Let us not forget however, that the 7 can do that at about 53k/psi and equal recoil.

162/3k will forever be the reasonably attainable, field shoot-able benchmark for performance. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If restricted to a .270.... the 150 LRAB would be #1 on my list.... I know what I'd be giving up by shooting any other pill.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Which is exactly what I've found--if you want a 7mm Magnum that provides a real edge in velocity. I'd include the 7mm Weatherby in the list as well, if you want a 7mm on a standard-length action.

A 160-162 ain't hay at 3200 fps...I like it there. wink smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I always love it when the charts and graphs come out.

Did anybody actually READ Petzal's piece, including the OP? Here's the last paragraph:

"I�m not knocking the 7mm Remington Magnum; it�s a highly effective cartridge. But if a magnum round is supposed to give loads of extra velocity, then it ain�t much. That honor belongs to Remington�s collarbone-cracking 7mm Ultra Mag and middle-ear-mangling 7mm STW. Both of them burn lots and lots of powder and deliver great gobs of velocity, and if that�s what you�re after, they will deliver in spades."

Which is exactly what I've found--if you want a 7mm Magnum that provides a real edge in velocity. I'd include the 7mm Weatherby in the list as well, if you want a 7mm on a standard-length action.

Yes, the OP did read read the article. And he was knocking the 7 RM.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH

A 160-162 ain't hay at 3200 fps...I like it there. wink smile

Oh yeah... more ain't bad.

I'm just saying you can't get all three (160/.600/3k) in anything smaller than 7 RM/WSM. The SAUM/AI come close.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fer crapping yer pants out loud, this stuff ain't freeking rocket science. For whatever diameter of bullet you decide to shoot, you pick the case capacity that will give the desired velocity, taking felt recoil, availability and a few other things into consideration. The name given to that little brass pail that holds the powder has a headstamp given to it for marketing purposes, and imparts absolutely no panache, killing power, dignity, or anything else to the bullets performance. For whatever little brass pail that one chooses to hold the powder behind his choosen bullet, there are several other little brass pails that approximate the capacity, and they approximate field performance four times better than they approximate case capacity.
No one has a little brass pail behind their bullets that is far superior to any other little brass pail of approximate capacity.
And, magnum is about the most vague term that can be applied to a cartridge. It doesn't even mean the owner has a bigger schlong than non magnum shooters.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To compare the .270 Win. to the 7mm Magnum is actually a bit unfair due to case capasity (as several have pointed out). The larger case will win almost every time. A much "fairer" comparison would be the .270 Wby. to the 7 Magnum.

However, then you introduce the "dreaded" MAGNUM label to the .270 equation. In my experience, whenever you put the Magnum name on anything.....the average shooter is beaten from the start. Suddenly recoil is stronger and accuracy goes to hell.

Not an attack on anyone, but you have to remember that "most" posters here are NOT your "average" shooters. Most here are much more experienced than the typical Jo Bleaux hunter in the field. Most are very intimidated by the "magnum" label before they fire the first round.

Yes, there is a recoil level that begins to get uncomfortable....even for experienced shooters. In my experience that is at the level of the .300 Magnums....not at the 7mm Magnum level. If one can't handle the recoil of the 7 Mag. (for whatever reason), then they will also find the .30-06 and .270 just as uncomfortable. Not a statement about "manhood", just fact.

But to claim the 7 Magnum is somehow inferior to the .270 is ignoring facts. And to claim the .270 is significantly less uncomfortable to shoot than the 7 Mag. is mostly in your mind. I still think the main reasons the 7 Mag. has a reputation as a "kicker" is more due to the noise (and the MAGNUM name) than anything real.

They are both excellent round for their intended purposes. For long range shooting on light game (deer, pronghorn) I prefer the .270. For larger game (elk) I much prefer the 7 Mag. Both can be used "out of their comfort zone" (.270 on elk or 7 Mag. on pronghorn) very effectively, but each is better when used as intended.

I "like" both rounds, but too many get caught up in the "magic" of the 7 Mag. and even more so with the .270. Niether is "perfect" for everything....but both are quite adiquite for most hunting.

Poor shooting due to recoil (at less than the .300 Magnum level) is, in my opinion, a myth. A poor shot with a 7 Magnum is just as poor a shot with a .243.....recoil is just a convenient excuse.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick I agree a poor shot is a poor shot; but hand them a hard kicker and they will shoot even worse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TexasRick
To compare the .270 Win. to the 7mm Magnum is actually a bit unfair due to case capasity (as several have pointed out).

No it's not. No more than it's unfair to compare them due to differences in caliber or case design.

If you're going to compare two cartridges, you're going to have pros and cons due to caliber, case capacity and case design.

As far as case capacity, you'll have some who like more, and some who like less, each for their own different reasons.

I don't see anything unfair about that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spot on Smokepole. If they weren't different, we wouldn't be comparing them would we?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Whatever..... the seven shoots 20% flatter, and drifts 10-15% less than the best possible .270 load on the f'n planet. For 15-25% more recoil, depending on the bullet you choose in the 7. Also.... I can make a 7 act like a .270...but a .270 will never be a 7.

But hey.... nobody wants a 20% increase in wages and 10-15% decrease in taxes.... that's asinine.

Still crickets on the 160/.600/3k assertion.... nobody?

Dude......easy. I was just clarifying the BC values...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always love it when the charts and graphs come out.

Did anybody actually READ Petzal's piece, including the OP? Here's the last paragraph:

"I�m not knocking the 7mm Remington Magnum; it�s a highly effective cartridge. But if a magnum round is supposed to give loads of extra velocity, then it ain�t much. That honor belongs to Remington�s collarbone-cracking 7mm Ultra Mag and middle-ear-mangling 7mm STW. Both of them burn lots and lots of powder and deliver great gobs of velocity, and if that�s what you�re after, they will deliver in spades."

I think we can all agree that the thread has gone beyond the rhetoric of Petzel's article... wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The .270 is NOT magic!!! No matter how much some try to make it more than it is, the .270 is a lower end mid-bore caliber rifle at upper end velosity.

It "works" for most mid to upper end (barely) range game game if placed properly. It is NOT an all-around great rifle for all american game. It is great for deer/pronghorn class game but can work for larger game (elk/moose)....but larger game really requires a bigger round.

Do not confuse what will "work" with what is proper.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The .270 is NOT magic!!! No matter how much some try to make it more than it is, the .270 is a lower end mid-bore caliber rifle at upper end velosity.

It "works" for most mid to upper end (barely) range game game if placed properly. It is NOT an all-around great rifle for all american game. It is great for deer/pronghorn class game but can work for larger game (elk/moose)....but larger game really requires a bigger round.

Do not confuse what will "work" with what is proper.

Magic? No, the .270 is not. None of this crap is magic.

Proper? How many elk have you shot with a 150 grain partition?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Whatever..... the seven shoots 20% flatter, and drifts 10-15% less than the best possible .270 load on the f'n planet. For 15-25% more recoil, depending on the bullet you choose in the 7. Also.... I can make a 7 act like a .270...but a .270 will never be a 7.

But hey.... nobody wants a 20% increase in wages and 10-15% decrease in taxes.... that's asinine.

Still crickets on the 160/.600/3k assertion.... nobody?

Dude......easy. I was just clarifying the BC values...

The whatever was simply that ... whatever you choose... it's still better, by percentages I think are significant. We see eye to eye on this... among other things.

.270s kill schitt, and do it well.... so do Sevens. I say I'll take the insignificant recoil increase for the significant down range performance increase. .270 guy says he'll take the insignificant decrease in down range performance for the significant decrease in recoil. Tough to have a valid debate, when each side minimizes and dismisses the most valid and significant point of the other side. I'm guilty....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is great for deer/pronghorn class game but can work for larger game (elk/moose)....but larger game really requires a bigger round.

No it doesn't.

Anyway, what do you mean by "bigger round?"

A bigger bullet? Are you telling me that a 160 grain .277" partition at 2800 fps is not a "proper round" for elk or moose?

A bigger case? Are you saying the .30-06 family of cartridges is inadequate for elk and moose?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread was bad enough before, but now were getting the old story that a .270 doesn't kill elk and moose very well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was a full time public shooting range master in the mid 70's, probably the height of the 7 Mag craze. I was mostly bored by it. People were trading good high quality rifles in other chamberings for recently produced 7 Rem mags. They were gaining very little performance compared to the .270's and 30-06's they were trading, and were loosing some with the .300 H&H. Other interesting cartridges such as the .338 Win, .264 Win, .375 H&H and others were being largely ignored at the time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hah! Time for another round of popcorn grin

Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.