Print Thread
Hop To
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I just stripped the stock off an old Savage 99. The stock is black about a 1/4" away from where the butt plate goes. Like it sat in something. How do I get the black out?

HR IC

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Need some expert help

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Post in the gunsmithing section? Might get more visibility from the crowd in the know over there. Take pics as well and post them in with your question.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a real early Savage 110 stock that was water stained, and also had tape lines that wouldn't come off. first, I used lacquer thinner to remove the finish. Waited a day or two. Then I stood it in a shallow pan and ran bleach over it, brushing constantly, until it looked like a piece of driftwood. Let it dry. Then I re-stained it. Still haven't sealed it, but here's what it looks like now, after staining, before sealing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is just on the butt plate end. I'll try some bleach

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Years ago I read a book by J.O,forget what one it was,but he said that he had used equal amounts of BLO,Spar Varnish and Turpentine,I have used the same finish except I replaced Turps with regular paint thinner,I have used this stuff on several stocks and have found it to be very good

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
blairvt-
The product you need to use is oxalic acid. It comes in a crystal form that you dissolve in water. You can purchase is from most woodworking suppliers. It is a bleaching agent used to reverse the oxidization of the tannins in many woods. We use it all the time in furniture restoration. I like to mix it in a spray bottle and go slow. You may want to use it on the entire stock to get a consistent bleaching through the entire stock. Start with the affected area and you will see the magic unfold. Then give the rest of the stock a few squirts to match. Make sure to give it a good wipe down and plenty of drying time. Then give the stock a quick once over with 320 grit and yo are ready to stain.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No matter the technique used to eradicate black water stains, as stated plan on doing the whole stock so it looks uniform when done finishing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blairvt
I just stripped the stock off an old Savage 99. The stock is black about a 1/4" away from where the butt plate goes. Like it sat in something. How do I get the black out?

Have you thought of trying a whiting slurry to draw any oil and dirty grime out of the wood? Make a whiting slurry using mineral spirits and fine white chalk (hardware chalk line or Brownell's gunsmithing). Paint the effected area and let it sit and dry. It will pull out the soaked substance causing discoloration. Once dry, brush off. May take several spot applications followed by an overal application to give an even appearance.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good info on the whiting treatment of oil in the wood, but why would he have oil stains 1/4" from the butt plate?

From his description in his OP, looks like the rifle sat butt down in something. Water?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It looks like it sat in water or something. Rust on the butt plate backs this up. Rest of gun is in great shape. Bleach lightened it some. Going to see if I can find some of that acid

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did one last year, oil, grease and such over many decades of use and being wiped down, soaked in through the wood end grain at the steel butt plate. There was no rust on the butt plate. Applications of a whiting slurry turned the white chalk dark with discoloration when it dried and was brushed away. As the drying slurry pulled this dark discoloration out of the wood, the wood lightened up to an even appearance.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If it is an oil based stain I have had luck using foam oven cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit 10 minutes and scrub it off with warm water.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The whiting is a good idea. Have never tried mixing with mineral spirits.Usually do mine with denatured alcohol and either sit stock in direct sunlight midday or use a heat lamp.When it turns brown scrape off and repeat.Will have to give the mineral spirits a try.

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Immerse stock in acetone for 24 hours or so. Drain. Immerse in alcohol 24 hours. Drain.

Will dry quickly. Repeat if necessary.

Nothing has worked better for me on oil stained stocks.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Karnis
Immerse stock in acetone for 24 hours or so. Drain. Immerse in alcohol 24 hours. Drain.

Will dry quickly. Repeat if necessary.

Nothing has worked better for me on oil stained stocks.

+1. Be very careful, as acetone is extremely volatile.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,969
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.