Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at an Enlightened Equipment down quilt. Getting kinda sold on the idea over waking up feeling like a Tootsie roll. Pretty much a side sleeper.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started using a quilt in a hammock a decade ago. I've tried using a quilt on the ground over the past couple of years. IMO, they work well down to freezing without a lot of fuss. Below 40F, you need something thick and puffy on your head, a wool cap ain't enough. Jacks R'Better sells a down hood that rocks. The current version has the knew dry-down. They will ship you a piece of Omni-tape to sew to the collar of a vest. Such a setup is a huge first step in making a quilt work at lower temps.

UL hikers try to make every piece of gear multifunction, IE, only carry a heavy enough quilt for average conditions, and rely on your puffy clothing for the worst case.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've used a quilt a pretty fair amount from temps from 40 ish to single digits. Below 32 they are not for everyone and can require certain techniques. Saving weight is good, but getting a goods night sleep is more important IMO. The higher end quilts like Katabatic cost what the higher end bags do and weigh not much less than some of the super light down bags. I have not tried the newer EE design , but like any bag, if it has enough loft, and the feathers stay put decently it should keep you warm as long as it is sized right (to often people buy to small a quilt and get drafty) and you are someone who can sleep well in a quilt. Tim's stuff is well made and priced competitively. A side sleeper likely has to concern themselves more with draft mitigation / sizing than a back sleeper.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
A side sleeper likely has to concern themselves more with draft mitigation / sizing than a back sleeper.

One tip for side sleepers I've heard of but not tried is to sew some Omnitape on the side opposite of what you sleep on, IE, the one your back faces. and then glue a piece of Omnitape to the edge of your evazote mat and mate the two together. That eliminates "back drafts" supposedly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried an EE quilt last fall and I'll never go back to a sleeping bag. I used one down to the single digits last year with a simple fleece hood. I've got two new ones that should be here on Monday.

IC B2

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
A side sleeper likely has to concern themselves more with draft mitigation / sizing than a back sleeper.

One tip for side sleepers I've heard of but not tried is to sew some Omnitape on the side opposite of what you sleep on, IE, the one your back faces. and then glue a piece of Omnitape to the edge of your evazote mat and mate the two together. That eliminates "back drafts" supposedly.

I was under the impression that with a quilt, the "opening" would be on the pad side. So if you sleep on your left, the left shoulder would be open to the pad. No?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No, that is entirely up to you. You just have to figure out how to stay tucked, like I described. Some guys also use flat elastic under the pad.

The BEST solution, if it ain't sub-zero, and you have plenty of available trees, is to hang a hammock. That makes using a quilt a no-brainer.

If it ain't cold enough for a stove, it is warm enough for a hammock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 6'3" and I toss and turn all night. I got a long / wide EE and manage to keep it tucked under me fairly well. It has replaced my warmer weather bag, but I still have a 5� WM for cold weather.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

SNIPPED...

The BEST solution, if it ain't sub-zero, and you have plenty of available trees, is to hang a hammock. That makes using a quilt a no-brainer.

If it ain't cold enough for a stove, it is warm enough for a hammock.

This! grin

Last edited by alukban; 05/06/14.
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
15 degrees or above I use my Go-lite quilt. For me much more comfortable than a bag.

IC B3

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found a 30 degree EE at the 'slide, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully well because I just sold my other two bags!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a 20 degree long from Kevin I hope this works as well because I sent the Helium back. Too Tight for me.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use a MLD mountain laurel design quilt ,it has the Event fabric to help with moisture.
Between it and a WM Mitylite bag and down jacket -they make a good combo for me.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got to test drive my new one this weekend, no regrets!

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mine showed up today. Man, have I been behind the times. At 1.6# the thing is impressive, can't wait to get out in it...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My quilt arrived yesterday as well. I am excited to give it a try. I cannot believe how warm and lightweight it is. I hope it is as an effective system as they claim. I don't know but I am going to give it a whirl.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a Kifaru Doobie Express as a top quilt by itself in a hammock down to freezing. When it is colder, I use it as an added elephant foot or temp extender to a lighter sleeping bag.

Of course, it's also my puffy for camp.
[Linked Image]

It's way too warm for late spring/summer so I switch out to a 782 Smoke Kloke and that also acts as my light rain poncho. It is much lighter and packs even smaller.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was able to put my sleeping pad, Quilt and shelter in one compression bag.
MSR twin sisters with stake and footprint (no poles)
Big Agnes Q-core SL Pad
EE Rev Long Quilt
right at 6 lbs.
should be good to go in most fall conditions. I am sure this could be lighter but this is all pretty durable gear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.