-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where we go that's not a real issue, but I guess it's always a possibility.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen bass in the 14-16 lb range in the boat but they not as common as 8-12 lb fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah nothing that common on Rayburn. I used to keep track of the share a lunker fish which are 13# or higher but haven't looked in years. I really quit fishing Rayburn during the spawn and moved to other lakes. Sit there and catch 5-6# fish all day long and have a shot at some just shy of 10 and be back home in 30 minutes ain't bad.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My real passion for fishing is smallmouths on Champlain. Nothing like 4-5 lb smallies as far as I'm concerned.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I guess its good your passion isn't largemouth bass then. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Champlain has some good large mouths too, and you can catch 4-6 pounders if you know where to go. Pound for pound there is absolutely no comparison in the fight of those two bass.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn

SS props do have less flex, but the bigger downside depending on where you fish, is if (when) you hit schit there is a greater chance of doing damage to the lower end whereas an aluminum prop bend and give quite a bit more. 3 blade for top end/ 4 blade for better acceleration. G]

Correct on the damage issue and 3 vs 4 blade. I'll add a 5 blade stainless prop will pull an elephant up on a water ski

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My real passion for fishing is smallmouths on Champlain. Nothing like 4-5 lb smallies as far as I'm concerned.

BT/DT. It rocks on Champlain. Candlewood Lk Ct was a close second, and Apache Lk Az rounded out my three favorite smallmouth lakes.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

SS props do have less flex, but the bigger downside depending on where you fish, is if (when) you hit schit there is a greater chance of doing damage to the lower end whereas an aluminum prop bend and give quite a bit more. 3 blade for top end/ 4 blade for better acceleration.
+1. Nice boat RD

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for all the info guys. Iam more likely to hit a rock shoal than Iam a stump and I'd rather bend a prop than something in the lower unit.
I don't much care about top end-- I'm sure the boat will do 40 or 50mph but I won't run it that fast prolly cruise around 30mph.
70 mph-- sheesh on the water--that would run into some serious fuel bills!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Candlewood does have really good smallies, but not in the numbers Champlain does. Another somewhat sleeper for smallies round here is Lk Wallenpaupack (sp?) in PA. First time out on Wallenpaupack I got this 6+ pond largemouth and a 5 1/2 pound smallie.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's been 20 years since I fished those NE lakes. Sounds like they are chugging right along. I finished second in a bass tournament on Candlewood Lake pitching "Jersey Rigs" under docks. Most of the guys in my bass club laughed at me at the time for using those things. I was 14 at the time..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to trade off a largemouth trip next year for a smallmouth one. I'm sure it's not like Mexico but I could put someone on 5+ largemouths all day long. I've never really caught a smallmouth bigger than something you use for bait in a north TX lake.

I'm away from home now and only had a pic left on the mantle form eons ago on Rayburn. Partner got hung up and I caught both of those off the same stump while he tried to get free.

So much for being back ended.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 05/16/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The danger of aluminum props.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Calvin

BT/DT. It rocks on Champlain. Candlewood Lk Ct was a close second, and Apache Lk Az rounded out my three favorite smallmouth lakes.

Candlewood holds some monster smallies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice fish!

Winnepesaukee was a good time for small mouth. Been 20 years since I fished it though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have ran SS props on my bass boats since the 70's & never damaged one. I wouldn't have a bass boat without a SS prop. The idea of hitting something while using an aluminum prop & the bending of the prop saving the lower unit seems far fetched to me. Many times I have hit stumps or other obstructions with my SS prop & kept on running. I have a dash mounted flasher & slow down when the water shallows. No bass fisherman I know uses an aluminum prop on their bass boat.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With the 19 pitch you may lose a very very slight amount of hole shot. Being you're going from an aluminum though, you may actually gain a bit. The SS prop won't flex as much and you probably won't have any noticeable prop slip while turning if you're trimmed properly.

It's a better prop. It won't get ringed up either like an aluminum prop will either.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The danger of aluminum props.

B, I have not heard anything to indicate the accident was due to al. prop failure. I thought it was due to hot shot cutting the gas suddenly while at top speed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
eyeball--I heard the guy jumped another boats very high wake and went airborn--hell of wreck anyway.

I don't care about hole shot--not gonna race anybody and nobody gonna go waterskiing here--water temps won't get up into the '60s until August.

It's not unusual for me to go 80 miles up the Lake for 4 or 5 days and not see another boat. Gas is the limiting factor cause you can only carry so much. That and weather. There are no charts of this Lake and while a depth sounder will tell you how much water is under the keel it won't tell you how much depth is out in front of you.

I used to commercially fish. Operating a 34 ton 60ft Steel Tug at 9mph is a great deal different than a runabout like this. I've had good friends die on the Lake and some of it from really stupid moves but-knock on wood-while I have torn up some skiffs and had some major breakdowns nobody ever got hurt bad enough to require hospitalization. After 42 Seasons on the Lake I'm rather proud of that fact.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 31 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,065
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.