Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 36 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 35 36
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just to balance this out, Jack O'Connor (another old and dead hunter) did the same 400-600 yard thing as Warren Page, but with the .270 Winchester. One of the 600-yard kills was what I recall was his biggest bull elk, and I also seem to recall it was with a 130-grain bullet. That may astonish some hunters, but if John Burns can take elk at 600 with a .243 I suspect a .270 will work too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Indeed. The writer also wouldn't be taken seriously these days unless he went to a few long range tactical shoots, which would show he knows everything there is to know about hunting rifle cartridge selection. Just remember, tactical shooting = hunting. Apparently.

No dickhead, demonstrating the ability to hit stuff with a rifle, means you can actually hit stuff with a rifle. Imagine that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a further attempt at balance, it probably should be pointed out that being old and dead does not make people right any more than it makes them wrong. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just to balance this out, Jack O'Connor (another old and dead hunter) did the same 400-600 yard thing as Warren Page, but with the .270 Winchester. One of the 600-yard kills was what I recall was his biggest bull elk, and I also seem to recall it was with a 130-grain bullet. That may astonish some hunters, but if John Burns can take elk at 600 with a .243 I suspect a .270 will work too.

Those were arguably unethical shots. Burns knows +-1yd what his range is. I highly doubt Page or O'Connor could read a map to eight digits and determine range that close or use an M-2 compass and a sine table with a 50yd piece of paracord.
Seyfried lugged a Wild arty rangefinder around but I don't recall him writing about using it on a hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I didn't think it was possible for this thread to get any more ridiculous. I was wrong.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Indeed. The writer also wouldn't be taken seriously these days unless he went to a few long range tactical shoots, which would show he knows everything there is to know about hunting rifle cartridge selection. Just remember, tactical shooting = hunting. Apparently.

No dickhead, demonstrating the ability to hit stuff with a rifle, means you can actually hit stuff with a rifle. Imagine that.

Bahahaha. Not really.

Shooting off a bipod at 800 yards with a laser rangefinder is not the same as a quick kneeling shot at an estimated 300.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Does Rick just keep you around to increase post count, or do you actually have any useful knowledge to contribute? If the latter is the case, I have yet to see it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Bahahaha. Not really.

Shooting off a bipod at 800 yards with a laser rangefinder is not the same as a quick kneeling shot at an estimated 300.

You and I finally agree on something. A rifleman can do both on demand. There are probably more bipod LR types than those who can quick kneel and hit stuff.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Does Rick just keep you around to increase post count, or do you actually have any useful knowledge to contribute? If the latter is the case, I have yet to see it.

Odds are, you wouldn't know it if it bit you in the azz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Odds are, you wouldn�t know it if it bit you in the azz

Oh like all your knowledge about how Kimbers are such pieces of junk, yet your rifle shot sub-moa 3 shot groups with less than an hour�s work?

No one here takes you seriously. The �Fire would be a much better place if you would just go away. You would not be missed.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Since this thread keeps going and going and going, thought I'd throw something else in, a quote from the most famous book on hunting ethics ever published, MEDITATIONS ON HUNTING, by Joe Ortega y Gasset, a Spanish writer and philosopher. It's interesting that it was published in the 1930's, long before the recent jumps in rifle technology:

�As the weapon became more and effective, man imposed more and more limitations on himself � in order to avoid making the prey and the hunter excessively inequal�. The confrontation between man and animal has a precise boundary beyond which hunting ceases to be hunting, just at the point where man lets loose his immense technical superiority�that is, rational superiority�over the animal�.
�Nothing stands in the way of our discovering what hunting is as much as this inopportune rush to involve reason in the definition�. Reason�s most important intervention consists precisely in restraining itself� So, far from hunting�s being a �reasoned pursuit,� reason can be described more appropriately as the greatest danger to the existence of hunting.
�It is necessary that the hunted animal have his chance�. This is what hunting really is: a contest or confrontation between two species of instincts. But for this to occur, it is necessary that those instincts�not only the hunter�s, but also the prey�s�function freely�. �

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice, but too far over the heads of the do nothing gang...

Figured I'd throw some Stickanese in for effect. It's the only thing missing from this epic skullphuck.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Very nice, but too far over the heads of the do nothing gang...

Figured I'd throw some Stickanese in for effect. It's the only thing missing from this epic skullphuck.

I hope you didn't just summon the entire paper hat brigade with that 90 psi blast on the secret squirrel whistle. laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Odds are, you wouldn�t know it if it bit you in the azz

Oh like all your knowledge about how Kimbers are such pieces of junk, yet your rifle shot sub-moa 3 shot groups with less than an hour�s work?

No one here takes you seriously. The �Fire would be a much better place if you would just go away. You would not be missed.

As I've said before I've never claimed any gunsmith skills, that is one of the reasons I come here. I'll come and go here as I please, and you can GFY goat. Is everyone in MT a rude mofo like you?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
There comes a point where we simply cannot keep using North American big game animals, as guinea pigs, for our ballistic developments. The German 200m limit for hunting shots is one example of this. How many of you have handled German rifles with a fixed 100 meter blade and a folding 200 meter blade on the rear island express bases? These show up around here, every so often.

But going down this road, it gets spooky fast. A Jaeger system puts a single hunter in the field for a church group or village, to harvest meat for five years. He keeps the mounts, they prepare their classic recipes, and eat the meat, and after five years his rifle goes into his closet. That is until it is gifted to some younger relative, who has been selected, and trained up, as a later jaeger. These jaegers are assigned specific areas, by a Gov't entity. But there's never any Oklahoma land rush on opening day. In fact, there aren't any opening days, period.

These cultural groups put in bids for the wild meat, and everyone in the local church congregation or alpine village, gets a place at the table, on some feast day or other. So there are never any older men fulfilling these Jaeger slots. These guys rate each other by how well the game does in their areas. The proof is in the quality of the mounts hanging on the walls in their respective dining rooms.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Personally, I'll pass on the Jaeger system. They do build some cool deerstands out of saplings though, and those little roebucks bark at you like a dog, especially when you piss in one of their scrapes and they come to check it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by INDYBUSTER
There comes a point where we simply cannot keep using North American big game animals, as guinea pigs, for our ballistic developments. The German 200m limit for hunting shots is one example of this. How many of you have handled German rifles with a fixed 100 meter blade and a folding 200 meter blade on the rear island express bases? These show up around here, every so often.

But going down this road, it gets spooky fast. A Jaeger system puts a single hunter in the field for a church group or village, to harvest meat for five years. He keeps the mounts, they prepare their classic recipes, and eat the meat, and after five years his rifle goes into his closet. That is until it is gifted to some younger relative, who has been selected, and trained up, as a later jaeger. These jaegers are assigned specific areas, by a Gov't entity. But there's never any Oklahoma land rush on opening day. In fact, there aren't any opening days, period.

These cultural groups put in bids for the wild meat, and everyone in the local church congregation or alpine village, gets a place at the table, on some feast day or other. So there are never any older men fulfilling these Jaeger slots. These guys rate each other by how well the game does in their areas. The proof is in the quality of the mounts hanging on the walls in their respective dining rooms.

Boooooooring.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why all this fuss?
Why can't I shoot what I'm comfortable with at a distance I am confident in and you do the same with yours?
Now, let's grab some silos and go kill some schit.

P.S. Mine really is better, BTW.

Have Dog

Will Travel

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ortega goes a long way in explaining the popularity of bow hunting. I know hunters who don't care if they make rifle season or not, because they like bow hunting so much more. Getting really close is more of a kick to them than sniping, by far.

Now, that's in Missouri, where there's plenty of cover and the deer know how to use it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I read Warren Page. He loved the 7mm Mashburn, but when he went after big bears he got out the 9mm Mashburn.

And Elmer Keith killed a running deer with a .32-20 revolver. FWIW

Page 31 of 36 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.