Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MT2000
I was going to pick up some 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer in 30-06, but I would like something that holds together a little better, so I started thinking about the AccuBond. I don't handload yet, so I'm forced to buy factory ammo, and the only factory loadings with the AB in 30-06 come in 180 grains. So would a 180 gr AB work fine on deer, or would it over penetrate without doing much damage?

I noticed that you are the same guy who got the locals stirred up in the SST bullet thread. This is a fun place but you have to take all the BS in fun and with a grain of salt. People act like whatever flavor of 30-06 ammo you take deer hunting is going to actually change the equation...it won't.

Killing a deer with a 30-06 is strictly an exercise in shot placement.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Heck yeah it will work, been loading BIL's and UIL's 308's and '06's for years with the 180 Partitions, they've been killing deer, elk and pigs for decades so loaded, I have received no complaints, only fresh game meats and empty cases to reload. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried and gone away quickly from 180 Accubonds in my .300 Weatherby on deer.
I find the 180 accubond does not open up quick enough on white tails.
The animals run quite a distance, something I can not afford because I hunt adjacent to old growth poplar with lots of dead falls, alder and crotch high slough grass. Very hard tracking in that stuff. So I use 130 grain Nosler partitions in my 270, always expand rapidly, exit and leave a wicked blood trail on broadside shots. I am sure there are other excellent alternatives, I have not tried but this works for me.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never used Accubonds in any flavor.BUT a 180gr.in any form of hunting bullet,when placed in the boiler room will cause skinning,gutting,n eating of many tasty meals...ScottyO.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have shot three deer with the 180 grain AB impacting around 2700 fps. All shots were through and through with exit wounds a bit smaller than a golf ball. The internal organs were completely devastated with massive tissue damage. Image of exploded heart.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Suddenly, I have a hankerin' for strawberry preserves.

I've only run one AB through a game animal to date, and that was a 200gr version from my 300RUM through a large WT doe at about 250 yards. Centered the lungs, and she dropped in a heap. Never even twitched.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting thread. A few notes:

When Nosler first started making AccuBonds they were such an immediate hit that one guy in the production line tried to speed things up. This caused faulty bullets. Some lost their tips in the box, and some blew up on game. The problem was quickly traced, because Nosler does both accuracy and expansion testing on regular basis during any production run, but some did get through.

Apparently the performance some of those early "bombs" still makes some people avoid them. I've run into some people who feel the same way about Ballistic Tips, Hornady SST's, and even Speer Grand Slams, because of early problems. But they were long ago solved, and I've yet to see an AccuBond come anywhere close to failing, and I've shot a pile of animals with them, from pronghorns and deer to large African plains game and a grizzly bear. Have recovered very few.

As far as difficulty in only bonding the rear part of the bullet, I suspect it would be easily done by leaving the front end in water while heating the rear. I don't know if that's the way Nosler does it, but that's one method for annealing brass, though with brass the rear end's in the water.

As for original question, back when the AccuBond was pretty new I chose the 180 for a New Mexico pronghorn hunt with the .300 WSM. I like pronghorn meat a lot and didn't want to shoot a lot up. The bullet did a perfect job at about 230 yards on a beautiful 15-1/2" buck. He went about 10-15 yards before piling up after a carefully placed rib shot, and there wasn't any blood-shot shoulder meat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is why I won't use them again. This was 2 1/2 weeks ago. .270, 130 grain Accubond @325 yards. Mind you, this is the entrance, not exit wound. LOT'S of blood-shot tissue there, and a gaping hole. It did kill him in rather spectacular fashion though:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks perfect to me, you want an itty bitty hole or a dead deer?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much prefer the AB over the BT but often my shots are steep downward angles.. I would rather have a exit wound to pull the cork out leaving a solid blood trail being that we are in a swampy region. On many different occasions I have had to witch doctor track deer shot with BTs as they didn't exit and still ran 100 plus yards which in our terrain can be hell. I hate to direct shoulder shoot anything due to meat loss but it does break them down for bang flops. Thus the AB and the TTSX are my go to bullets placed 2nd rib showing behind shoulder...Have never had either the AB or TTSX fail to exit on steep downward angled shots.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.