Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Im looking for a new pair of pants and maybe a jacket/windbreaker for stalking deer down here in Australia.

I'm interested in Kryptek gear as I can get it at a good price, but don't know too much about it in terms of how durable it is or is not. I'm mainly interested in the Alaios Pants. Anyone have any experience with them and how tough they are?

Mainly, im after something that will stand up well to the blackberry bushes that I so often find myself having to navigate through. You get sick of getting thorns stuck in your legs after a while!

I was also looking at the Sitka Mountain pant. How do the Alaois compare, as I hear the sitka pants are rather good?

Good Hunting.

You only live once.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a pair of Kryptic pants at Cabelas last year. Wish I could remember the name. I do not know if they were Alaois.

There is quite a bit of cat claw where I hunt coues deer in Az and they were in tatters as were my lower legs, 1 day into the hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious what wouldn't have been shredded by cat claw acacia? If you've had any luck in that department I'd be curious to hear about it.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I own Sitka gear in the softer shell lines, from shopping for it on discount sites, and like it a lot. I tend to use it more for archery on the Eastern Coast, and haven't taken a lot of it out West. Haven't used the Mountian pants, but I'd expect better results from the heavier Sitka than the Kryptek.

I've looked at the Kryptek Gear at a local Cabelas several times, none of the items have been enough to make me take it to the register. I think it's a lower end knock-off of the tech-gear line for hunters.

We get a lot of blackberry bushes and holly trees where I hunt, the 90% and Ascent pants aren't bad at holding up through them. You'll get poked in the Ascents, they are thin, but the 90% aren't bad IMHO.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Checkout Kuiu guide pants and jacket. The attack pants are nice also. I love their gear!

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys!

Sad to hear about the Kryptek, but to be honest i prefer the look of the sitka stuff anyway. Read some other reviews about the Alaois and they were not very favourable either.

KUIU looks great, but I understand its somewhat hard to come by, or takes a long time to receive? Correct me if im wrong, but it makes me think it would take ages for it to arrive to my doorstep in Australia. How tough are the guide/attack garments?

You only live once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duplicate post see below
Sorry

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 05/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Curious what wouldn't have been shredded by cat claw acacia? If you've had any luck in that department I'd be curious to hear about it.

Denim works pretty well, if you are one of us that believe that you can successfully hunt without camo.

Faced denim as well

I have some Naturalgear that has lasted 3-4 years and still going strong. I believe it is made by Wrangler

The streatchy material Kryptek pants,were chit for that application. They might make another line that is better I simply don't know.

Natural Gear
[Linked Image]
Levis
[Linked Image]
Faced Denim
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Carharts. I have a camo pair that are great, although they are noisy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that specialized camo is over rated for rifle hunting.
In the days that we wore green woollen pants and red or green checkered wool jackets we had no trouble killing our deer, moose or elk.
It also had the added advantage that branches rubbing against your clothing simulated a sound similar to rubbing against fur. A lot of the modern camo even the soft stuff IMO makes unnatural sounds in the bush warning game well ahead that danger is approaching.
May be the big game species in the last 20 years have received special training in distinguishing the old fashioned hunting garb, making it necessary for hunters to spend big money on specialized high tech camo garb.

Last edited by shrike; 05/24/14.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have several pieces of kryptek gear and it has been good for the price I got it at. The only oddball thing about it is that to me it runs small for size to me but that's kind of subjective. I like the alios pants a lot and a couple buddies still run them for early elk season.

For my money though I would take a look at kuiu. I've basically switched almost completely to kuiu save a lightweight kryptek top I live in come September. Kryptek is still a great choice if you can snag it cheap like you said. Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.