Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some years back I was on the phone with Schofstal, ....had him digging around in old plunder for a .50 barrel, while we discussed machining his Highwall replicas into low wall configurations. ( he's done a BUNCH)
When asked what sorta' low wall I was running , I replied in the negative, ...just Stevens and CPAs. He'd run onto an old Winder that he'd " had around forever",...asked what kind of stock I liked,....when I called out PG, he said he had one, badly cracked wrist in a horse wreck,.... and that he "knew someone that could fix it. blush " He didn't say a WORD about the fact that he was going to fit one of his superb single set lowers. It was December, and when the rather short (for a Winder) box rolled in, I was STUNNED, and humbled at his Christmas gift. in with the plunder was a terse Christmas card, and some C, Sharps catalogs. The stock was off some BIG caliber High Wall, and a straightfoward and usual repair, now stronger than ANY wood, through the magic of modern chemistry and good alloy rods. Don't sneeze at good high end bamboo, either,....just be damned sure to soak it in diluted / thinned glass prior to floating em' into the liquid acraglas.

FINE (albeit bit of a mongrel) rifle.

.22 short original barrel WINS offhand matches, and I shoot it trigger un-set. One of my PRIZED possessions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Today I put my name on ANOTHER honest to God Winder Action, lower trigger group, and original Winder sight in better shape than the one on mine,....TWO (count em') blocks, one center fire, one rimfire .22 Winder. Lots of other spares and pieces, including some original exractors (broken but easily repaired ;))

So, the only thing lacking now is an original Winder (or Win Musket) buttstock and plate, and John's gift can go back to being an original Winder Musket.

The rest of the odds and ends discussed,.....a 10 twist 25-20 Win. hot rod heavy sporter.

So, Amigos, Please keep your eyes peeled for an original Buttstock in 85% or better condition, I'll be needing the BS sl;ing swivel , as well.

A "Loaner" would be appreciated to measure and blue print, if I have to go ahead and make one. Would sure rather use an original, period correct piece, though.

Life is good, ya'll work and play safe, ya' hear ?

thanks,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations on the new acquisitions, Greg! Having fondled that Winder, I can see why you have such an affection for them. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll scope the "Sporter", Probably with that Lyman Alaskan that's on that old relined HA 25-20.

Dan's got a KILLER heavy bullet that he graciously sent a large herd of over recently. That CB and a good 10 twist barrel are going to make up into something that will be a joy to wring out.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's an Ideal 257283 picked up from Steve Garbe some time ago.

Success be on you with the new Winder...I vote .25-20 Win....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
25 stevens..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My feelers are hurt. -sniff-

OK, make it a .25-20 SS. 10 twist and run 120 grain bombs. Brass can be had.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was just offered a PILE of 25-20 Brass, once fired, that's right here in S.V..

Given that a good friend just gifted me a really nice set of dies in the same caliber, I reckon I'll be stickin' with the 25-20W.
I already KNOW that, properly loaded they'll run well on BP, and are one of the few that will run Pistol Primers SAFELY, if one runs short of Small Rifle.

Remember this is a hot rod sporter, and swapping barrels out is no big deal around here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile if you wind up with more .25-20 brass than you need, I'll gladly pay for some, since I have a Stevens 44 to feed.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A switch barrel Winder? Who'd a thunk such a thing? wink

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled this High Wall today:

custom High Wall

but could not figure out if it was a Winchester, or a Italian copy.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/25/14.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be a lot of things, but I don't think it ever wore the name "Winchester".

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Well, I DO have both the Central and rim fire blocks,....

Jeez, a .218 Bee would be another sexy little #, No ?

Don't sneeze at the .32-20, either.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Don't sneeze at the .32-20, either.
GTC

NOW you're talkin'!!!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .25-35 is DOA? Dang it.

I do like the .218 idea..

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tex-n-cal, That .38/55 is probably one of the Highwalls made in Montana by C. Sharps Arms. It has the 'octagon top' receiver ring that C. Sharps uses and the spec's say it has a tang sight by C. Sharps Arms. Actually, that looks like a very nice rifle with some desirable extras. Look at it again.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The .25-35 is DOA? Dang it.

I do like the .218 idea..

I need to do some penance for bringing up white powder calibers.
...gonna' go pull weeds
wait, it's so dry we don't HAVE any.
I know, I'll sharpen the chainsaw.

I think that's a C. Sharps, as well.

NICE rifle !

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 303mike
Tex-n-cal, That .38/55 is probably one of the Highwalls made in Montana by C. Sharps Arms. It has the 'octagon top' receiver ring that C. Sharps uses and the spec's say it has a tang sight by C. Sharps Arms. Actually, that looks like a very nice rifle with some desirable extras. Look at it again.

There's no manufacturer's mark on it, is what threw me. I would have thought one of the domestic builders, like Ballard, C Sharps, or Meachum would have put their name on it. There's no serial number, either, where it's normally found on an original. A puzzlement, it is...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tex, On the very early Highwalls from C. Sharps the rifles are marked with "Single Shot Inc." on the barrel, forward of the rear sight dovetail and the serial number is on the bottom of the receiver, just forward of the trigger guard lever. C. Sharps bought Single Shot Inc., an existing maker. After the Single Shot actions and barrels were used up, which didn't take long, C. Sharps began putting their own name on the guns and you'll generally find that stamped in small fine print on the left side of the receiver along with the rifle's serial number. Sometimes that fine print seems to get lost in the color casehardening. The .38/55 looks like it is the 1885 Classic Rifle with the crescent buttplate and it appears to have a heavy barrel. It might have upgraded wood too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thought, it could be a custom rifle built on a C. Sharps action. I'm not sure of the actions they sell come marked.

Last edited by 303mike; 05/26/14.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The raw recievers did NOT.

WGAF ?

GTC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.