Hop To
#8888426 05/23/14
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys,

Has anyone here hunted Ethiopia?

I'm in Djibouti for a year long military assignment and am about 1 hr away from Addis Abada, Ethiopia by plane. $300 round trip airfare. smile

It looks like I'll have one opportunity to hunt for 4 days on the ground (6 days total including travel). I'm open in terms of species and time of year, and would like to hear about any experience anyone has had in this area, what guides would be good to use, etc. I'm looking to spend under $5K and do not plan on getting any taxidermy. I will need to use a camp rifle. I'm open to other ideas but would like to maximize my hunting time and get a real unique experience.

Thanks!

Eric

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Specialty country, not meant for "quickies".

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I sent a few inquiries last night. One outfitter told me Ethiopia is one of the most expensive places to hunt with low quotas and high prices. He suggested RSA as a better option, although it's a longer flight.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now focusing on Nyala in RSA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a photo of a couple of Nyala that we passed on earlier this month. More to come when I have a chance to do part two of my hunting report. I strongly suggest checking out Natal is you are interested in Nyala.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CharlesL; 05/24/14.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hello Eric,
I have some great places for nyala. Check out the website and if interested I can surely get you onto a good nyala for a short hunt and be within your budget with enough left over for a few souvenirs. PM me if interested for more details.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks fellas I'll check it out. I have a lead on an outfitter in Natal and will also check out your site BigBullet.

We had a suicide bomber attack a cafe about 200m from where I was in town tonight. It's in the news. Getting real...

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Very nice pic by the way Charles. I would have gladly taken that Nyala on the left! Beautiful animal.

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EricM
Very nice pic by the way Charles. I would have gladly taken that Nyala on the left! Beautiful animal.

Eric

I would have shot him or another one that I don't have a picture of, but Pieter said we can do better. I hope to get more posted about that later this weekend.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks fellas I'll check it out. I have a lead on an outfitter in Natal and will also check out your site BigBullet.

We had a suicide bomber attack a cafe about 200m from where I was in town tonight. It's in the news. Getting real...

Eric

Uganda is also an option based on where you are located at the moment.
Plains game hunt is fairly reasonable

Please keep safe

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

Eric

Stay safe over there. We appreciate what you're doing.

Bb

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlesL

Eric

I would have shot him or another one that I don't have a picture of, but Pieter said we can do better. I hope to get more posted about that later this weekend.

I look forward to it!

I inquired into Uganda and although it's closer to me the prices so far are out of my ballpark. Still looking... RSA seems to offer a good bang for the buck and from what I hear the Mkuze Game Reserve in KwaZulu Natal is the place to go for nyala. I was told I should hunt in July or August before the hot season.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Eric

Stay safe over there. We appreciate what you're doing.

Bb

Thanks, Bb! This was the first such attack since 1987. Hopefully not a harbinger of things to come.

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should also take a look at Pieter Kriel.

http://www.huntinginafrica.co.za/

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link, Charles. Good stuff! I like his thorough descriptions of each species, best time to hunt, shot placement, recommend caliber, etc. Reviewing his site now..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went with www.sadakasafaris.com They're not the cheapest but they took great care of me and found me the 55" kudu I was after. Great accommodations and great people.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/26/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pieter will do you right as will JJHACK in RSA.

As you have found out, Ethiopia is a specialized safari destination. Namibia and RSA are getting to be the only sane place to hunt unless you are a Rockefeller.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, fellas. Many good options here to be sure!

I booked a hunt for mid-July in RSA and am finalizing the details. Nyala will be the focus with bushbuck and a warthog also on the list. smile

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great! I will be looking forward to hearing all about it.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.