24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi My name is Adam.

First the rifle, it a Mosin Nagant M44. I got it 10 years ago from a small gun shop out in the country. He had a great sales strategy to sell his guns. He gave me a tutorial about the history and workings of the rifle, then led me to the back yard gave me five bullets and earplugs...and told me to bust the stump 50 yards away.

So I bought the rifle, 3 packs of 7.62x54R ammo, and ammo pouches for $65.00. I researched the rifle (Manual, diagrams, history) It was made before WW2 in Budapest Hungary and most likely saw action during that time.

I then dissembled the rifle, cleaned out all the sand and cosmoline from the action and magazine. Stripped the wood and put on a nice red mahogany finish. I colored the engraved writing with neon nail polish and wiped off the excess. It has the smoothest bolt action I've ever seen, still has decent rifling...and kicks like a pissed off mule.

I used to shoot it out to 150+ yards with open sights, but my eyes being not what they used to be. I'm looking for a long eye relief scope or a reflex holographic sight. I am aiming to attach such a sight with a picitany rail on the rear elevation sight mount, I don't want to alter the rifle too much (bent bolt, drill & tap etc for a PU sight base.

The only problem is that finding the proper sight is a challenge. All of the old guys that used to own gun shops are dead or retired. The counter people at The Academy & Gander Mountain are little help of course.

I talked to a Leopold rep at the Gander Mt opening, and he was kinda stumped as to what type I needed. A gunshop 40 miles east of here showed me a reflex sight, it had a red dot, crosshairs, etc. They put it on a blank stock, but were unsure if it would take the recoil.

Politicians don't rule us. They work for us! Our rights don't come from them. Our rights are GUARANTEED by the U.S. Constitution and are NON-NEGOTIABLE!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Welcome to the fire. Take a look at this video:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of "Welcome". Thank you for the story on your rifle.

Here is a mount that would work:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=26104&avs|Manufacturer_1=SzzxzzK

A Video explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHSyOJ9dQY

A scope I can recommend:

Leupold M8 Scout scope 2,5x28 IER

Some discussion on scout scopes here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5990162/all/choosing_a_scout_scope

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ready; 05/26/14.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Honestly what you're trying to do is something that the rifle was never really intended to do. There are several ways to mount a scope on a Mosin like said above but they're all "jury rigged" and IMO you will not be happy with them. If you need a scope I would suggest buying a more modern rifle that is designed for a scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Accumounts has several options available

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/

If you go with a scout scope mount, take my word and go with an S&K

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

the B-Square product is not worth having so don't waste time on it

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yes, the scope suggestion above are 1st rate!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
OP Offline
Thank you all for your input.

I'm glad that the S&K site was mentioned as they have a base for my next project. Putting a scope on my O3A3.

I'll research the videos in the AM.

Politicians don't rule us. They work for us! Our rights don't come from them. Our rights are GUARANTEED by the U.S. Constitution and are NON-NEGOTIABLE!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.