Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In the same universe, how logically and justly do you both fine car drivers who don't wear seat belts and permit motorcyclists (who can't wear them) on the same roads with them? If you're fining car drivers for not being safe, how much less safe are motorcyclists? That amounts to fines for being a little unsafe, and no fines for being a lot unsafe.

Clearly, then, it's not about safety. It's about revenue generation.

Vehicles differ obviously. Besides the passenger projectile factor in an automobile collision, automobile occupants are also much more likely to be crushed by the vehicle if they are not secured. That is just the opposite of what is likely to happen in bi- or quad-cycle accident.

Don�t worry. If fairness/equalness in every detail is what suits you, ObamaCare has it covered. Your prenatal exams are covered for life, even if you have been male your entire life. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
90% to the State and 10% to the court of venue.

Got to thinking on this. I bet the 10% is based on tithing which makes sense because the judiciary is sitting in judgement of everyone else because they are nearly totally free of human failings that effect everyone else. I bet the law enforcement agencies get 10% out of it also for the same reason, but have to do it via fund laundering so as to keep the cop haters quiet.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sherp

Got to thinking on this. I bet the 10% is based on tithing which makes sense because the judiciary is sitting in judgement of everyone else because they are nearly totally free of human failings that effect everyone else. I bet the law enforcement agencies get 10% out of it also for the same reason, but have to do it via fund laundering so as to keep the cop haters quiet.

Not exactly, but all politicians want cops to write more tickets in the name of income. You see, it doesn't matter where the money goes, because money in...is money in. Kinda like when your Dad gets a raise...you may not get any of it, but he won't bitch as much about the food you're already eating.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[quote=sherp]

How exactly is a school bus seat "more confining"? They are open benches.

Sounds like you must not have ridden on school buses...they are high-backed, rigid seats, closely spaced so there is little opportunity for objects (bodies) to move very far in a sudden deceleration.

How does �more solidly constructed� make things better on the object striking it?

The object (person) striking it is secondary to the fact that that object is less likely to become a 100 lb missile capable of impacting others closer to the point of vehicle impact.

Don�t think I have ever heard increased stopping distance listed as a positive in passenger safety either.
Same principal as why a parachute is generally a safer way to jump out of a plane; instant deceleration tends to be quite �bruising� wink .

Could you explain why the strobe light on top of the bus(impairing the vision of any drivers near the bus) is a good idea?

Probably not a good thing for those with ADD/ADHD disorders. Not staring at it works reasonably well for the rest however, similar to not looking into the headlights of oncoming traffic at night. The strobe point kind of begs the question of why those �blue� super-bright halogen headlamps are legal though. crazy

I have ridden on a bus and I suspect you haven't ridden in any passenger vehicles made after about 1980 because there is a lot more space between bus seats than there is the back and front seat in a passenger car.

Can you point us to any passenger car wrecks where the seats got snapped off and anyone survived? Interesting that a harder bus seat back is better to hit than a passenger car seat back.

Didn't know there were any parachutes involved in school bus trips. So what you are saying is the increased odds of getting in a wreck due to increased stopping distance if preferable over shorter stopping distances and not getting in to the accident in the first place.

Not that big of a deal to pass a bus which is where the headlight comparison would seem to come in to play for most of us, but since that was your first idea how often do you follow someone driving in reverse so that you are looking directly in to their headlights mile after mile?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not exactly, but all politicians want cops to write more tickets in the name of income. You see, it doesn't matter where the money goes, because money in...is money in. Kinda like when your Dad gets a raise...you may not get any of it, but he won't bitch as much about the food you're already eating.

My Dad getting a raise has no effect on me so not sure why you are trying to be rude.

So now you are saying your department makes money off tickets or what?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sounds like you must not have ridden on school buses...they are high-backed, rigid seats, closely spaced so there is little opportunity for objects (bodies) to move very far in a sudden deceleration.

The long buses are a little roomier.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

LOL. Be nice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In the same universe, how logically and justly do you both fine car drivers who don't wear seat belts and permit motorcyclists (who can't wear them) on the same roads with them? If you're fining car drivers for not being safe, how much less safe are motorcyclists? That amounts to fines for being a little unsafe, and no fines for being a lot unsafe.

Clearly, then, it's not about safety. It's about revenue generation.

Vehicles differ obviously. Besides the passenger projectile factor in an automobile collision, automobile occupants are also much more likely to be crushed by the vehicle if they are not secured. That is just the opposite of what is likely to happen in bi- or quad-cycle accident.

Don�t worry. If fairness/equalness in every detail is what suits you, ObamaCare has it covered. Your prenatal exams are covered for life, even if you have been male your entire life. laugh
The point being that driving a car without seat belts is X amount unsafe, and is fined, but riding a motorcycle is X+ amount unsafe, but no fines. If safety were the factor determining fines, then riding a motorcycle should result in a higher fine than driving a car without a seat belt. It's logically inconsistent, illustrating the absurdity of the law.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends if the insurance companies are losing money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That could be it. I always rode the standard long bus and those were very roomy. I would assume the shorter buses may be tighter since many of them are little more than vans. Perhaps that is what he is talking about.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Biggest PITA was when a couple of Sheriffs' Deputies on motorcycles would sit in the center divider on the road from the poor neighborhood to my school in the morning traffic, just nailing folks for sticker and seatbelt violations. And those seatbelt tickets were expensive, especially so or people living where they lived.

I dunno they "saved any lives". Prob'ly more'n a few kids ended up walking to school after that and they didn't help the image of Cops any. Or maybe not too much harm; nobody confused these guys with the SAPD.

SAPD DOES sit out in front of elementary and middle schools, enforcing the twice a day 20mph speed limit. But nobody minds that.

Birdwatcher

If they are going to write tickets for whatever, it applies to EVERYONE not just poor or middle class or rich.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

That could be it. I always rode the standard long bus and those were very roomy. I would assume the shorter buses may be tighter since many of them are little more than vans. Perhaps that is what he is talking about.

I thought someone was comparing to short buses

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Biggest PITA was when a couple of Sheriffs' Deputies on motorcycles would sit in the center divider on the road from the poor neighborhood to my school in the morning traffic, just nailing folks for sticker and seatbelt violations. And those seatbelt tickets were expensive, especially so or people living where they lived.

I dunno they "saved any lives". Prob'ly more'n a few kids ended up walking to school after that and they didn't help the image of Cops any. Or maybe not too much harm; nobody confused these guys with the SAPD.

SAPD DOES sit out in front of elementary and middle schools, enforcing the twice a day 20mph speed limit. But nobody minds that.

Birdwatcher

If they are going to write tickets for whatever, it applies to EVERYONE not just poor or middle class or rich.

Believe it, or not, it tough to work traffic in the inner city. Every car you stop has no (or fake) inspection, registration, insurance, etc., and the driver has a suspended license and warrants. There ain't enough cops in any city to do that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not really that far OT, but whats an opinion here? Well cheap and many of them I know...

But say you are like me, I don't want folks telling me that I have to while cycle folks can do without helmets...

If we went back to personal responsibility, and our insurance reflected in cost whether we were safe or safer or not... and then we only would be helped if we'd "paid" in.... would folks get along with that?

I don't like paying for welfare as it is. Folks get to have however many kids, I gotta pay, educate, incarcerate etc....

So I don't like having to pay in this instance because I or you were too stupid or stubborn to put a helmet on. What happens if emergency pulls up on scene and gets your ID, and you haven't paid... they then get back in the vehicle and drive off?

Tricky situations really.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Shhh...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Apparently Klikitarik rode a short bus because they keep talking about how confining the seats are which definitely does not describe seats on standard length buses.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are lots of laws that I disagree with.
Ding ding ding!!!!

Winner - by a landslide..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
There are lots of laws that I disagree with.
Ding ding ding!!!!

Winner - by a landslide..

Yes because while officers often disagree with laws they enforce them without question against civilians so we can have an orderly society.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sherp, it's not a problem as long as you don't say the wrong thing to the officer. Unless he's got a quota to meet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sherp, it's not a problem as long as you don't say the wrong thing to the officer. Unless he's got a quota to meet.

As it should be.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,165
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.