Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sherp

I have ridden on a bus and I suspect you haven't ridden in any passenger vehicles made after about 1980 because there is a lot more space between bus seats than there is the back and front seat in a passenger car.

Can you point us to any passenger car wrecks where the seats got snapped off and anyone survived? Interesting that a harder bus seat back is better to hit than a passenger car seat back.

Didn't know there were any parachutes involved in school bus trips. So what you are saying is the increased odds of getting in a wreck due to increased stopping distance if preferable over shorter stopping distances and not getting in to the accident in the first place.

Not that big of a deal to pass a bus which is where the headlight comparison would seem to come in to play for most of us, but since that was your first idea how often do you follow someone driving in reverse so that you are looking directly in to their headlights mile after mile?

I�m not sure why you insist on avoiding what I am saying. Either you have no grasp whatsoever of physics so you need to twist what I have said to avoid what I am saying, or you simply can�t understand what I�ve written - for whatever reason. (You can take an out there.)

Perhaps you just want to be combative?

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The point being that driving a car without seat belts is X amount unsafe, and is fined, but riding a motorcycle is X+ amount unsafe, but no fines. If safety were the factor determining fines, then riding a motorcycle should result in a higher fine than driving a car without a seat belt. It's logically inconsistent, illustrating the absurdity of the law.

By the same token, insurance should also be higher for automobiles than for larger vehicles, and smaller autos should pay more than larger and/or better built autos. I get the safer/less-safe part. I also don�t have a problem with whatever vehicle being operated in the �safest-for-it� condition possible. The real question from a �logical� standpoint is why some vehicles are even legal on the highways. As I alluded to earlier, it logically seems ludicrous to built skinny two-lane highways where vehicles approach and pass each other by a few dozen inches at closing speeds of over 100 miles per hour. I�m not suggesting that should be outlawed, just that it isn�t a very logically sensible concept.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/27/14.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm speaking of laws, not insurance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By the same token, fines should also be higher for automobiles than for larger vehicles, and smaller autos should pay more than larger and/or better built autos. I get the safer/less-safe part. I also don�t have a problem with whatever vehicle being operated in the �safest-for-it� condition possible. The real question from a �logical� standpoint is why some vehicles are even legal on the highways. As I alluded to earlier, it logically seems ludicrous to built skinny two-lane highways where vehicles approach and pass each other by a few dozen inches at closing speeds of over 100 miles per hour. I�m not suggesting that should be outlawed, just that it isn�t a very logically sensible concept.

Better? smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I have ridden on a bus and I suspect you haven't ridden in any passenger vehicles made after about 1980 because there is a lot more space between bus seats than there is the back and front seat in a passenger car.

Can you point us to any passenger car wrecks where the seats got snapped off and anyone survived? Interesting that a harder bus seat back is better to hit than a passenger car seat back.

Didn't know there were any parachutes involved in school bus trips. So what you are saying is the increased odds of getting in a wreck due to increased stopping distance if preferable over shorter stopping distances and not getting in to the accident in the first place.

Not that big of a deal to pass a bus which is where the headlight comparison would seem to come in to play for most of us, but since that was your first idea how often do you follow someone driving in reverse so that you are looking directly in to their headlights mile after mile?

I�m not sure why you insist on avoiding what I am saying. Either you have no grasp whatsoever of physics so you need to twist what I have said to avoid what I am saying, or you simply can�t understand what I�ve written - for whatever reason. (You can take an out there.)

Perhaps you just want to be combative?

The point being that driving a car without seat belts is X amount unsafe, and is fined, but riding a motorcycle is X+ amount unsafe, but no fines. If safety were the factor determining fines, then riding a motorcycle should result in a higher fine than driving a car without a seat belt. It's logically inconsistent, illustrating the absurdity of the law.

By the same token, insurance should also be higher for automobiles than for larger vehicles, and smaller autos should pay more than larger and/or better built autos. I get the safer/less-safe part. I also don�t have a problem with whatever vehicle being operated in the �safest-for-it� condition possible. The real question from a �logical� standpoint is why some vehicles are even legal on the highways. As I alluded to earlier, it logically seems ludicrous to built skinny two-lane highways where vehicles approach and pass each other by a few dozen inches at closing speeds of over 100 miles per hour. I�m not suggesting that should be outlawed, just that it isn�t a very logically sensible concept.

I am reading what you are saying. Trouble is:

1) I have seen school bus seats and they are no closer together than the back to front seat distance in a passenger car and in most cases are much farther.

2) Understand the more solid line which would have some merit if passenger car seats got sheared off very often in wrecks, but not seeing that as the case. Think I would rather have a bit of flex than not....kind of like landing on a foam mat or asphalt. I would choose the former, you would choose the latter.

3) Understand you find it preferable to have a longer stopping distance so an object gets hit by the bus instead of stopping sooner and not hitting the object.

4) You have an eccentric neighbor with high entensity headlamps who likes to drive in reverse and you have followed them home creating the same issue that occurs when mortal people follow a bus with strobe light doing what it does best.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
By the same token, fines should also be higher for automobiles than for larger vehicles, and smaller autos should pay more than larger and/or better built autos. I get the safer/less-safe part. I also don�t have a problem with whatever vehicle being operated in the �safest-for-it� condition possible. The real question from a �logical� standpoint is why some vehicles are even legal on the highways. As I alluded to earlier, it logically seems ludicrous to built skinny two-lane highways where vehicles approach and pass each other by a few dozen inches at closing speeds of over 100 miles per hour. I�m not suggesting that should be outlawed, just that it isn�t a very logically sensible concept.

Better? smile
You're going to drag your feet all the way on this one, aren't you?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am reading what you are saying. Trouble is, I cannot comprehend much.

Got it. I might also concede that you are simply being contrary and fickle so as to avoid what I have actually said.

I understand you would prefer to see everything equal. There ain�t no way a cycle and a car will ever be nor they should not be treated the same. I have already conceded that there are plenty of logical reasons why some vehicles should not be on the road together. That should not be construed to mean that I would support laws against it however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am reading what you are saying. Trouble is, I cannot comprehend much.

Got it. I might also concede that you are simply being contrary and fickle so as to avoid what I have actually said.

I understand you would prefer to see everything equal. There ain�t no way a cycle and a car will ever be nor they should not be treated the same. I have already conceded that there are plenty of logical reasons why some vehicles should not be on the road together. That should not be construed to mean that I would support laws against it however.

I haven't felt the need to modify your posts, but your claims are so weak you had to mine.

It isn't my fault that your "confined" bus seats are far more roomier than any passenger car seating arrangements from the last 30+ years. It isn't my fault that hitting something solid will cause more injuries than something with give to it as has been the case since the beginning of time. It isn't my fault that strobe lights screw with people's vision as numerous flashlight companies have noted and are making money by selling flashlights that do just that.

In short, blame your baseless ideas for backing something totally bogus.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,022
Posts18,500,450
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.