Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
You really should give Hoptimum a try, if you get the chance. Sure it's 100 IBUs, but it's also 10.4% abv, and enough body to do a good job of bringing it all into a good semblance of balance. Well, hophead balance.

Other IPAs that hopheads really, really need to try that have not been mentioned are: the two different Plinys (Elder, Younger) from Russian River, and the Hoppiness brews from Alpine. Just very, very good stuff, but you'll pretty much need to be in the Santa Rosa or San Diego area to get them. Heck, I think Pliny the Younger is only available at the brewpub in February. Still, all four are quite the treat.

Then there's Maximus from Lagunitas, O'dells Mountain Standard Time, Green Flash's West Coast IPA, etc...

One thing I can say, is that the Sierra Nevada 4 IPA sampler is a bit of a let down. They didn't go to waste, but I won't be buying one again either.

Hoptimum and Hop Czar are in my fridge now, and Maximus has been there on and off. They're all a bit much for my regular rotation.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
no love for Ranger?

Picked up a 22oz on my way home from work today, drinking the last few oz. now.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10 hours in the high eighties and dust. Now sitting home with burritos and Sculpin! Damn, that stuff is good!

Maybe someday soon we'll get the shipping/selling restrictions on craft brews totally done away with and awesome brews will be more available from coast to coast. Of course, the big domestics ain't gonna let that go without a fight...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You're preaching to the choir. I'm not one for "lite" beer or mass market regular beer either. Hell, I was a full throttle hophead at one time. But for a good stretch now, when I see 70+ IBU it's just a now and then beer for me. The hoppiest that gets close to regular rotation is something like Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

You really should give Hoptimum a try, if you get the chance. Sure it's 100 IBUs, but it's also 10.4% abv, and enough body to do a good job of bringing it all into a good semblance of balance. Well, hophead balance.

Other IPAs that hopheads really, really need to try that have not been mentioned are: the two different Plinys (Elder, Younger) from Russian River, and the Hoppiness brews from Alpine. Just very, very good stuff, but you'll pretty much need to be in the Santa Rosa or San Diego area to get them. Heck, I think Pliny the Younger is only available at the brewpub in February. Still, all four are quite the treat.

Then there's Maximus from Lagunitas, O'dells Mountain Standard Time, Green Flash's West Coast IPA, etc...

One thing I can say, is that the Sierra Nevada 4 IPA sampler is a bit of a let down. They didn't go to waste, but I won't be buying one again either.

The thing about IBU's is that the wort is only so soluble to the hop oils that create the IBU's. In a perfect world a beer can only absorb around 100 IBU's and many factors will limit that to around 80 IBU's even in the best breweries. Laboratory tests of beers claiming IBU's of 100 or over are always less than advertised, one that stands out is Pliny the Elder with enough hops that the calculations show it having over 150 IBU's tests in the lab as having around 80 IBU's. So people shouldn't get so hung up on that number on the bottle. Most good IPA's have a good amount of IBU's but they are good because they are loaded with late addition hops that give the beer good flavor and aroma, but contribute little to the IBU's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the only conclusion to reach concerning all these IPA's is that there is a large number or really great IPA's all over the country, even though many are local.

We are in a truly great time for beer drinkers, and I think it will only get better.

We are blessed!

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just came back from a quick run to the local gas station/convenience store for vanilla ice cream (to go with Mrs. Bruin's rhubarb shortcake bake grin ), and saw that they had Two Hearted Ale in 16 oz. cans. I grabbed one, sipped, sampled and slugged it down and confirmed; it's one of my favorites.

Hatari's point is well taken though, it is a bit hop heavy, but only when compared to historic IPA's. When compared to today's hop heavy offerings it's near the middle of the pack for hop heaviness, IMHO.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't always drink IPA, but when I do I drink Tumbleweed.

....though am always open to others....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Truly, this is a golden age of beer. I am blessed to have live long enough to see it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Amen! And like 757 said, it's only gonna get better.

The craft industry as a whole has averaged right around 15% growth for the last several years and brewpubs have really taken off.

I dream of seeing the day when the big domestic macros are the hard to find rare beers...(won't happen but a guy can wish!) smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't always drink IPA, but when I do I drink Tumbleweed.

....though am always open to others....

Mule Deer,

Another Growler Station opened here in town (haven't been to that one yet) and they have both the Sacagawea Stout and the Backcountry Scottish Ale on tap. Might have to see if they can get some of the Tumbleweed in. Got pretty high ratings on BeerAdvocate...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had some extraordinary IPAs recently at a Home Brew meeting. I joined a Brewers Association, where people bring their beers to the meetings, and you can sample them.

I took my IPA there (didn't really turn out much like an IPA), and it got overall pretty decent reviews.

One guy did a Sierra Nevada Clone, and it was phenomenal. Another gentlemen did his own very very hoppy IPA, and I really enjoyed that as well.

I agree, that it is only going to get better, when you're talking about beer!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Deschutes Brewery, Fresh Squeezed IPA.
Very tasty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Hoptimum and Hop Czar are in my fridge now, and Maximus has been there on and off. They're all a bit much for my regular rotation.

Ok, I gotcha. Yeah, they're not my regular "I'll have two of them every night for a week" brews either.

So, have you had a Heady Topper? I'd not heard of it until tonight. But it's made my to do list. Along with the Goose Island Barleywine...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No, I haven't run into that one.

Around July 4 I'll be visiting a buddy who lives near a couple of good beer bars. I may see it then.

It will be hard to cut into the pints I have allocated to Staropramen. Fresh on tap, real Czech pilsner is hard to beat for a session beer.

Last edited by mathman; 05/27/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Others I like (mentioned or not)

Green Flash West Coast IPA
Green Flash Hop Head Red

[Linked Image]

Cigar City out of Tampa makes some great stuff:

[Linked Image]

Fat Head's Head Hunter:

[Linked Image]

And of course it wouldn't be as tasty without this pint glass!

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyone here finds their way into Parkersburg, WV, I suggest a trip to the North End Tavern located on Emerson Avenue. Great pub food and micro brewed beers. I absolutely love their "Five Way IPA".

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Christmas in May!!!!!!! Heck yeah!

[Linked Image]

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Damn, the curses of living in a small town. Two Hearted is my favorite so far; limited amount of choices. Was in SE NC last Feb. and tried some that was called "Hopsicutioner", which I think may have been local; but it was great. Going back to that area next week for a quick visit and will look for more choices. Almost can't go wrong with good beer if trying a new IPA.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]
Used to mix this with Regular Bally Ale. Very Hearty

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Here is a great IPA from Boneyard Brewing. Watch out though, it's got a bite to it...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.