Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8910534 06/01/14
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have been thinking for some time about a Tikka T3 lite. I like the idea of a lighter rifle and all the positive opinions on here have me thinking Tikka would be a good choice.

I have wondered a lot about caliber and was thinking about a .270 (don't have one at the moment). However, to fund a new rifle something needs to go. I started thinking maybe trading or selling my Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag is a potential solution. As I do like that cartridge and I have dies, brass, etc., it hit me that perhaps a Tikka in .300 WInchester is the way to go.

My only concern is recoil. I shoot the Ruger fine but can do the math and see the lighter weight of the Tikka will make a significant difference. I also had a friend who traded off a Tikka in .300 WSM because he said it "killed on both ends." I have never shot a Tikka so can anyone enlighten me here? I want a rifle that I will carry a lot and shoot a little but I shoot all my rifles enough that I feel comfortable with them. How about the aftermarket recoil pads, how much difference do they make? For what it is worth, I haven't spent any time behind a rifle larger than a .300 Weatherby, but haven't had any problem with that or the Winchester.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have shot both the Tikka t3 in .270 and .300 wsm both with limbsaver recoil pads. The .270 is fine. The .300 is pretty sharp. For me, I don't want a rifle that light in that particular caliber. Others may be completely fine with.

If you do go .300 in the Tikka you could always consider a KDF brake or similar if it is too much. Most folks don't seem to like them, but I have two rifles with them and get along just fine.

If the .270 caliber will do what you need to do, you will be hard pressed to find a lighter better shooting rifle. For the price and accuracy, it has to be one of the best deals going.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 2 Tikkas, a lite in 25-06 and a superlite in 22-250. Great rifles, I highly recommend them. That being said, I wouldn't consider one in a 300WM. I've had a couple of 300WMs in heavier rifles and the recoil was more than I wanted to deal with. To me, a T3 Lite in in a magnum cartridge would just be the definition of misery on the bench.

I'm not a big 270 fan, but I'd go with one over a 300WM in that light of a rifle any day of the week.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My son, was 15 when I got him his Tikka t3 light in .270 Win. I sighted it in and after the 3rd shot I had a splitting headache. My son said he didn't mind but I think he was in denial cause what do you do with a gu ya can't shoot decent. I didn't believe him so I got a limbsaver pad and that helped a bunch. Still kicks though, especially with bear loads.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A 300 Win Mag in a T3 is going to rock your world...I've got 2 338 WM's and a 7mm RM.....with the factory pads off the bench they are definitely not fun. The problem with the after market pads is the increased LOP....at least for me. My idea LOP is 13.125", this is considering wearing a heavy coat. I have the stock cut and a Kick-Eez or Decelerator installed.
This makes these hard kickers bearable off the bench....in the field you will rarely remember the recoil grin
Of all my Tikka's....my 30-06 sprg in super lite with a Edge Mcmillan and 3.5X10X40 Leupy (6lbs,9ozs) is the lightest and the recoil is snappy pushing a 165 AB @ 2900 fps

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Tikka T3 wood stocked, blued in 300 WSM.

Now, I am used to 300 Magnums and 7 Magnums but this Tikka is the lightest by far of any I have ever owned in a magnum caliber.
It wears a Weaver GS 3.5-10x40.

It's a sweetheart and the most accurate rifle I have currently. The recoil feels less than a Winchester Sporter in 300 WSM I own that weighs in 1.5 pounds more. I, also, own a Tikka in 300 Winchester Magnum, wood stocked, too, that does not bother me, but I have spent a lot of time with magnums as I stated.

It's fine as to recoil to me personally-not a problem or hindrance to good shooting as both of these routinely shoot groups below one half MOA. It's hard to shoot such groups with a rifle you are worried about roughing you up.

Use a PAST recoil pad and good hearing protection.

Last edited by slasher; 06/02/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a T3 Light in .270, and it is the hardest kicking of the 6 .270s I own. (6 of them because sons and I use same ammo for deer) But it's also the most accurate.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WITUfan,

If you remove the factory pad and install a slip-on Limbsaver, you should be able to withstand the recoil for a few shots, but be advised, light rifles are just plain harder to shoot, and the Tikka certainly falls in this category. You may need to refine your technique, especially relative to shooting from field positions. My T3 is in .270 Win. and I shoot a lot, and it is fine. A Tikka .300 mag. would (for me) bring out the shooting jacket, gloves, and sandbags.

You can fill the hollow buttstock with something, but the rifle will then be butt-heavy and poorly balanced (as well as weigh more).

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might I add that the 300 WSM Tikka's recoil I posted about?

That if you shoot factory loads, then 300 WSM factory fodder is usually the equal of the anemic 300 Win Mag factory stuff out there.

I chronied my 180 grain bullets in Winchester Power Points at 2976 fps and 180 grain Federal Premium Accubonds at 3080 fps while the Winchester 150 Nosler BT's were moving out at 3252 fps. Many 300 Win Mag factory loads do not approach those numbers and as I said, I find my 300 WSM Tikka T 3 wood Hunter model comfortable to shoot.

I would prefer the wood models in the magnum cartridges and save the synthetics for the standard and light cartridges. Some synthetic stocks don't give or absorb any recoil. I actually traded a Rem 700 7 Rem Mag in a cheap synthetic factory stock as it punished me while I have never had a 7 Rem Mag affect me before that one.

Last edited by slasher; 06/02/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure why you think you might need 300 Magnum performance when you want to downsize your rifle, other than you already own loading dies in that caliber.

Lighter rifles are handy, and so are lighter calibers. 308, 7-08, 243 are all up to task with today's excellent bullets. 308 gets me to 600yds with several different bullet weights, (Scenar, A-Max), and smaller calibers have the edge in the ballistics department.

Even if you're not recoil shy at all, why choose a heavy kicker? Long-range is more about retained velocity, not muzzle velocity. A 7-08 hits as hard down range as the larger bores due to the ballistic advantage, and within normal range, I haven't seen that caliber matters if you put the bullet in the right place.

I like the 300 Mags and own a few of the variations. Recoil within reason doesn't really bother me, and if I still owned a Tikka, I would happily run a 300WM knowing that I would likely never need to load it up with full-power loads for just about any purpose I can think of. If I did, it certainly wouldn't be for shooting at targets from the bench.

Since you already reload for the 300WM, you can easily tailor your loads to what you want them to do, including the recoil level you are comfortable with. A lighter recoiling load will work just as well for all-around, and you will have more power potential on tap when you think you might need it.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B3

W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the replies. It kind of sounds like I need to just get my hands on a Tikka, shoot it and see what I think.

I understand that I don't "need" a magnum, particularly if I am going lighter in weight. I have several rifles back there in the safe that I don't need though. I already have a couple of .257 Roberts and a 7mm-08.

I may not have asked my question well. I don't consider myself particularly recoil shy. I've just never had an opportunity with a rifle to go above a standard weight .300. I have shot a bunch of turkey loads in a relatively light weight shotgun, and I shoot them well. I don't enjoy patterning work after a while, however.

I suppose what I am really asking is will the Tikka be a major step-up in recoil from a standard weight rifle? It sounds like for some it is and for some it really isn't that bad. I appreciate the replies. The fact that I know a guy who got rid of one and that he has shot a .338 a good bit just got me wondering. I know some rifles have more perceived recoil than others regardless of weight.

Again, thanks to all for taking them time to share your experiences.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 270 Win. I bedded it in a B&C Medalist stock. It shoots great (.5" regularly with my handloads and .75" ish with most anything I feed it). I own three 270 wins: A Ruger 77, a Winchester 70 Featherweight and the Tikka. The Tikka is the lightest but also seems to recoil less. Maybe it is the stock.

I shoot magnums regularly. I will say that the lightest 300WM I own is pushing 8 pounds. I have a .338 win mag that weighs slightly more, but I shoot it fairly regularly. My 77 375 H&H Safari Grade seems to give a bit more of a push and less recoil. My 338 is a Model 700 with a Krieger barrel bedded in a HSP stock. I guess I'm just not recoil sensitive, so to me the 270 is a joy to shoot.

I love the Tikka T3. I also own a Hunter in 260 Rem. Tough to beat them for the money. Both of mine are as accurate as some customs I own.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WITUfan,
I had many Tikka T3's over the years and can report that anything above the 30-06 is time to look for a Limbsaver. I was shooting a new .270Win today and it was fine.
The 140 Acc's flew very well.
But the 300WSM's, 300WM's and even a couple of .338WM's all had Limbsaver pads installed. You can do yourself. The downside to the Limbsaveer is that it lengthens the lop about 1/4" which is noticeable.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 300wsm and sold it off because of recoil. It was the way it recoiled - not pleasant, just bounced up hard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my 270 t3 has less recoil then the rem 700 bdl 270 i was shooting . it also weighs a lb less

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tikka's recoil differently from other rifles? Recoil, and its companion muzzle blast, are nothing to sneeze at, they can damage you over long exposures. There is no such thing as recoil insensitivity, repetitive exposure to recoil will cause accumulative damage. These days I equip every rifle with a muzzle brake, even the lowly .22-250. Why? Because my neck was taken apart to remove a spinal cord tumor, I just can't risk the recoil any more. Now muzzle brakes will refocus the muzzle blast, so wearing earplugs and muffs is necessary to keep it under control. On long bench sessions if you come away with a mild headache, or later on feel extremely fatigued, that's a form of concussion. If your scope backs up and knocks your head and blood flows, that's a concussion. So my suggestion is install the Limbsaver, have a muzzle brake installed, and if the rifle isn't equipped with a resilient recoil pad, add that too. My friend has an even worse problem, he had detached retinas, he can't shoot without recoil control either. His eyes are full of floaters, if he gets smacked around by recoil his vision deteriorates. They will be removing the floaters, but even then he will use muzzle brakes on everything. Remember that as we age the termites of time take their toll, and we pay for all those little injuries that didn't seem like much at the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boy do I identify with the phrase..."TERMITES of TIME" .

A 73 year old buddy who has lived a long and interesting life with lots of trigger time, on top of everything else ...recently had to have a rotator cuff repair surgery.

A supposedly simple 45 minute proceedure took 4-5 hours...ther doc's said they couldn't find anything to anchor the tendons to that would hold. Still can't hold in place much less shoot a shoulder mounted weapon almost a year later. Told him I'd do him a favor ...and that he needed to sell me his fancy duck guns & boats at 25cents on the dollar, and get a couple TC pistols to hunt deer with LOLOL ...he DIDN'T think that was too very funny, but sez he's till strong enough to whoop my butt anytime I want to try him LOLOL His grumpiness is legendary...and this won't help much either.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think Tikka's T3 Lite is a terrific hunting rifle, but I would not buy one chambered for anything larger than .308 Winchester. I have owned and shot most of the big Winchester and Weathetby magnums. I've had .375 H&H rifles, and several 45-70's. I have never shot an more unpleasant rifle than the T3 Lite I had (for a short time) in .338 Federal. Just thinking about shooting a T3 Lite in .300 or .338 Win Mag makes my eyes water...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jobyjob - prior to having my T3's recoil pad replaced recoil with even a mild round like the 6.5 Swede was a bit harsh. Hard pad and stock design I guess. Like my Savage in 7mm-08 the stocks design slaps your cheek. I would not want to shoot either rifle with more potent rounds. Homesteader

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would not want a Tikka in a 300 Mag of any sort. I owned a 7lb 300 Win mag and it was not fun to shoot. I literally thought I was going to get a concussion squeezing one off. To each his own, so good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (21, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.