Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Rodell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'm curious whether the gun writers (and our resident writer may opine for others) look with disdain upon hunting shows in general or view them as another medium to reach those in the sport.

I have seen quite a few, and, the bulk of them seem to be real crap, but there are a few that seem to be done by real people in real situations. Some are infomercials, others are so unrealistic to be funny.

Which way does the wind blow?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Not much.

kd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a gun writer but I have not seen a good hunting show since The American Sportsman.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah, The American Sportsman. Curt Gowdy, with his silver voice, and a host of guest sportsmen, bringing the excitement of hunting in far-off and exotic lands to the Saturday afternoons of my youth. This was and is the birth of my passion for the hunt. Also loved the original Michigan Outdoors with host Mort Neff. I dreamed of hunting with such men.

If one is looking for outdoor entertainment, Fred Bear made some very excellent hunting videos. Also, I remember the first three hunting videos I ever watched, loaned to me by a friend and classmate. These are: Bowhunting October Whitetails, with Rick Blase, Gene Bidelspacher, and Barry Wensel; The Rifleman, with Curt Gowdy, and; Monarchs Of Alberta (forgot the names of the men in that one). These are all excellent videos I recommend highly. These are videos about hunting, not about gadgets for sale.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are tributes to our gullibility, avarice, and chuckleheadedness. You can sell anything in this country with the right amount of goober appeal, country music, and hooting and high fives. Witness the Duck Commanders.

1B

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Remember William Shatner hunting bear on the American Sportsman...that was downright strange watching Captain Kirk going after Brown (or Grizzly) Bear.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yea, when 60% of the time is commercial time, it make you wonder.

Not worth it to me unless I can watch a prerecorded show to zip through all the commercials.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If they were all videos of me, I'd probably watch them.

I am not a gun writer.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave
If they were all videos of me, I'd probably watch them.

I am not a gun writer.

Travis

If they were about you, they would have to on a paid channel.

I do not use guns to write. Pencils.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can handle Shockeys show, and Steve Renellis( sp?) and Ivan Carter has a good one on as well. I also have liked anything Randy ( Big Fin ) has put out.

Otherwise its bubba sitting in a tree, whispering at the camera and then gut shooting a deer...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ninety five percent don't turn my crank just proves Bubba mentality is alive and well..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They filmed an American Sportsman segment near here, way back when.......
It was a setup......
I wanna hunt with Shocky's daughter. Once.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My most memorable show on the "American Sportsman" was Bing Crosby and Phil Harris hunting pheasants in Lancaster. Pa.

Phil Harris was shooting a Winchester M-12 in 28 gauge...all class.

Doc

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I remember that episode! I used to watch AS regularly.

I don't watch the hunting-show channels unless I'm on a trip somewhere and some of the other guys are watching. If Jim Shockey's on I'll watch because I know Jim is the real deal, but have easily found better things to do when most of others are on.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
My most memorable show on the "American Sportsman" was Bing Crosby and Phil Harris hunting pheasants in Lancaster. Pa.

Phil Harris was shooting a Winchester M-12 in 28 gauge...all class.

Doc

I remember those two also and PH and Bing singing little diddys to each other. As a kid I thought that show was the greatest thing going. I may be mistaken but seem to recall another pheasant episode being shot in Iowa.

Those two made a good pairing.

R
Rodell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Pretty much I will check out Shockey's show, Steve's outdoor, and, of course, Laryssa Unleashed if I see them on the program guide.

I do use them to educate my 6 year old to try to teach him about reality vs. fiction.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another not-a-gun=writer here but since that seems to be no hindrance...

To me hunting is like wrestling, not much of a spectator sport unless you have a connection to someone on the mat. In that vein I'll sometimes catch "Gun It With Benny" because it's hunting in South Dakota by a South Dakota guy. I can identify though Benny is much more a character than the guys I hunt with. Makes the show, and he misses a lot. No fake hunts.

Happened across another in South Dakota by South Dakotans the other day, hosted by pretty much average guys. They hunted late season Cans at the south end of Big Stone Lake where the power plant keeps the water open, usually the place to be when everything is frozen up. They set up in a field where they were feeding yesterday but not today. Oh so realistic laugh but pretty boring.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yea, that basically sums it up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Remember William Shatner hunting bear on the American Sportsman...that was downright strange watching Captain Kirk going after Brown (or Grizzly) Bear.

Did the Phaser leave anything for a trophy?

Seriously, I loved AS. Anyone recall seeing Johnny Cash fishing for marlin?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is the best" kind Of out door show out there".
http://youtu.be/jv6MgODqMZc

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 3,021 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,642
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.