Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
As the title says - would it be advantageous (as far as rifle accuracy goes) to buff out a small ding in the rifle crown. The nick is not on the lands but right on the edge of the barrel crown. Do any nicks on the edge affect the rifle potential accuracy?

If so, should I just use fine grit sand paper on that area??

Maybe I should just leave it alone and get used to it - what do you guys (or girls) think?? The rifle in question is a Tikka 6.5X55 stainless.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
....The OUTER edge ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
yes - right on the outer edge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You mean it is on the outer edge of the barrel, not the edge of bore?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You mean it is on the outer edge of the barrel, not the edge of bore?

Exactly right!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it isn't touching the bore then having it there won't cause any issues at all. It is up to you.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by czsharpshooter
If it isn't touching the bore then having it there won't cause any issues at all. It is up to you.

This but if that isn't the case, the best way to fix a crown, ANY crown, is to find a smith that has a Manson Crowning tool. It is literally a five minute job with one of those.

P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks to CZ and TAK for the advice. I am relieved.

I may just buff it out anyway for the asthetics of it more than anything practical. I was thinking of using fine grit sandpaper with a chaser of JB bore paste. What do you think?

I will try to stay well clear of the rifle bore while doing this.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have buffed out the actual crown on some guns using a crocus cloth.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can see it now. "Hold my beer and watch this."

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good time to get the rifle re-crowned. If done well no loss in accuracy and sometimes significant improvements are seen.

Anything that removes material on the muzzle face or near the bore could affect accuracy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keep in mind that you want the most even gas pattern you can get at the muzzle as the bullet comes uncorked. Anything that disrupts that gas pattern will push unevenly on the bullet, causing instability. A nick or dent on the outside of the crown is unlikely to change the gas pattern, but a nick or dent on the inside of the crown most certainly will. Also, if you grind or buff out an imperfection, it's possible to get one side of the crown "lower" then the other. For the same reason stated above, you need the crown absolutely perpendicular to the bore. The special crowning tools are a great aid to making sure the crown is both uniform and perpendicular.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSE
Thanks to CZ and TAK for the advice. I am relieved.

I may just buff it out anyway for the asthetics of it more than anything practical. I was thinking of using fine grit sandpaper with a chaser of JB bore paste. What do you think?

I will try to stay well clear of the rifle bore while doing this.

It really depends on how you go about the work. If you're planning on holding the sandpaper by hand I'd suggest you leave it alone. If you're using a good quality wet/dry paper on a flat metal or glass plate and carefully lapping the end of the muzzle you could end up doing a good job.

It may seem like a fairly simple job, but it's a job that is fairly easy to bugger up. I've shortened and recrowned quite a few barrels over the years and I was never satisfied with the job until I started doing it in a lathe.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it shoots OK I would not mess with it.
If not, what the hell.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
+1.

This is another one of those "I can't believe it" threads. So far there are several pieces of advice why somebody should recrown a muzzle that has a nick somewhere else than the bore, and two pieces of advice on the one and only way perfect to recrown a barrel--neither of which agree.

Here's a third: I've used a Brownells facing tool to recrown several dozen barrels, one on what turned out to be the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

But neither the Brownells tool or either of the others needs to be used on this rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

But neither the Brownells tool or either of the others needs to be used on this rifle.

Sounds like leaving it alone is the best option wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1.

This is another one of those "I can't believe it" threads. So far there are several pieces of advice why somebody should recrown a muzzle that has a nick somewhere else than the bore, and two pieces of advice on the one and only way perfect to recrown a barrel--neither of which agree.

So, are you saying the Manson tool IS NOT the absolute best way to crown a barrel? For those not familiar with it:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-muzzle-crown-refacing-kit-prod7718.aspx

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any proof the Manson tool is the best? Such as several groups shot with the same rifle, barrel and load, using wind flags, by some competent shooter?

Or whatever other means your imagination desires?

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Interesting reading on this subject here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Or whatever other means your imagination desires?

Well, what else is there?

Edited to add: LMFAO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.