-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am notorious at the office for bringing in home made coconut fudge, peanut butter chocolate bars, brownies and cookies all made from scratch with lots of butter, eggs, sugar and flour.

My plan is that if everybody around me becomes morbidly obese then by comparison I look as sleek as a race horse...

And being a bit less facetious, KR13's post is it in a nutshell. Eat less and exercise more.

Folks will argue 'til they're blue in the face about which exercise regimen is best or which diet is best because it worked for them and by God, everybody else will be well advised to be exactly like they are.

Lots of folks are healthy, fit and trim from lots of different variations of eat less and exercise more. Eat a balanced diet like your Mother told you to (or your grandmother) and get off the couch and you'll be okay. If you want to take it to the nth degree, find someone's recipe that appeals to you and follows an eat less exercise more model and have at it.

And as DIYguy alludes to, don't look solely at the scale. Look at how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
A lot of your information is not correct.
Carbohydrates do supply the body's main fuel, glucose. And the body can store it, but not as fat, with rare exceptions. Virtually all of the excess is stored as glycogen. This is stored in the liver and in the muscles themselves. When needed, the body can easily convert it to glucose.
Excess proteins also can not be stored as protein. It is converted to fat and stored as such. BTW, if used as protein, and not as fuel, it doesn't count towards one daily caloric intake.
Most calores are burned by the muscles, well over 90%. So, the more you use your muscles, the more calores you burn. That includes fat as well, if you don't go into an anerobic state, i.e. out of breath.
One more thing you didn't mention. As one's blood sugar (glucose) level drops, so does one's consumption of fat.
You also don't seem to understand that the body can only store about 1200-1400 calores worth of glycogen for most of us. This is why regular meals, especially breakfast, are so important. Skip a meal, and the next time you eat, the body prioritizes making fat. So, when you loose your blood sugar level, you slow down your fat consumption and when you eat again, even if it's a carb based meal, the body turns at least some of it into fat. One of those exceptions to the rule.
Like you said, the science hasn't changed. That's why the Federal Food Guidelines recommend a diet of at least 50% being complex carbs, not sugars. E

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KR13
I have a simple two step program for weight loss.

Here it is free of charge:

Step 1- Eat Less

Step 2- Move Around More

What worked for me:

1, Eat smarter
2, Eat less
3, Do more

I dropped 120# in a year and have kept it off for 11 months. Still following it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
120??? Holy [bleep]' Jesus!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm down 65 lbs. It's taken me a year to get here and I still have about 50 to go to get where I want to be. I don't consider what I have done to be a diet so much as a lifestyle change. For the first time in my life I'm retraining myself to eat healthy.

Here's what it took for me to do it:

1. Cut out beer. I used to drink some beer almost every day, now I've pretty much cut it out unless it's a social occasion of some sort. I love beer so it was hard, but beer is pure empty calories and it also lowers my willpower. I get the munchies after drinking a few and can't stop eating then. I know how the potheads must feel.

2. Eat lots of salads and watch my carb intake. I'm not on a "low carb" diet per se, but I find that the healthier foods I'm eating are naturally low in carbs. I still have bread every now and then but I'm not eating a burger every day.

3. Walk 3 miles every day. It's moderate exercise that I enjoy and gets the blood flowing, plus more importantly it keeps your digestive system going. I have some well meaning friends that immediately started offering advice when they heard I was trying to lose weight. Most of it was along the lines of "you need to hit the gym hard, weights, lots of running, etc." This was well intentioned but would never work for me. If a workout sucks then I'm not going to stick with it. An easy workout like walking works for me. What the others say is true, losing weight is mainly about controlling your eating, you can't exercise it off. You'll just be a fit fat person.

Others are losing it faster than me but what I'm doing is working for me and I think I'll be able to keep it off by how I've changed my eating habits. I don't see how the the OP lost 215 lbs. in a year, it seems like you'd have to do an almost total fast to do that. Good on him for doing it but dang, that's got to be brutal!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KR13
I have a simple two step program for weight loss.

Here it is free of charge:

Step 1- Eat Less

Step 2- Move Around More

This has always been my "program" and I have been fortunate enough to never be overweight. I eat all 4 food groups. Meat is without the steroids and hormones. I probably place more emphasis on step 2 than step 1.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Folks will argue 'til they're blue in the face about which exercise regimen is best or which diet is best because it worked for them and by God, everybody else will be well advised to be exactly like they are.

True, but diet/exercise advice is like any other kind of advice you read on here, you just need to be able to recognize good information when you see it, and separate the wheat from the chaff. Take what you can use, and ignore the rest.

For example:

Originally Posted by Oheremicus
A lot of your information is not correct.
Carbohydrates do supply the body's main fuel, glucose. And the body can store it, but not as fat, with rare exceptions.

Anyone who tells you it's rare for the human body to store excess carbohydrates as fat is obviously someone whose advice you'll want to avoid.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's simple math to a large degree. Consistently burning more calories than you take in equals weight loss. And it can't be overemphasized...that you can't out-train a consistently bad diet.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't see how the the OP lost 215 lbs. in a year, it seems like you'd have to do an almost total fast to do that. Good on him for doing it but dang, that's got to be brutal!

I never said that. I lost 185 pounds in 15 monnths. How on God's green earth did you come up with 215 pounds in a year? LOL

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antlers
It's simple math to a large degree. Consistently burning more calories than you take in equals weight loss. And it can't be overemphasized...that you can't out-train a consistently bad diet.

All three of the above sentences are in conflict with one another and with metabolic/biochemical reality. Only the last sentence is true.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

All three of the above sentences are in conflict with one another and with metabolic/biochemical reality. Only the last sentence is true.

laffin'
All three of the above sentences are in conflict with one another and with metabolic/biochemical reality.

No they're not.
Only the last sentence is true.

They're all true.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DIYguy
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't see how the the OP lost 215 lbs. in a year, it seems like you'd have to do an almost total fast to do that. Good on him for doing it but dang, that's got to be brutal!

I never said that. I lost 185 pounds in 15 monnths. How on God's green earth did you come up with 215 pounds in a year? LOL

From this:

Originally Posted by DIYguy
...Back in 2012 I was nearly 400 pounds with a 50 inch waist and on the doorstep of type 2 diabetes, I opted to make a change. One year and 3 months later I was 185 with a 32 inch waist.....

400-185=215 lbs. Okay, I got the year thing wrong, you actually said one year and 3 months but that's still a hell of a lot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No they're not.
Only the last sentence is true.

They're all true.

Bullschidt. Quote some science to prove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bullschidt.

laffin'

You just described, in one word, a significant percentage of what you post on this board.

still laffin'

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bullschidt.

laffin'

You just described, in one word, a significant percentage of what you post on this board.

still laffin'

You are in way over your head. Cite a single study that has ever demonstrated a near 100% correlation between caloric reduction and weight loss per se. IE, 3500calories removed from the diet equals one pound of fat lost.

It doesn't exist.

While you're at it, enlighten us all on the effects of elevated cortisol, and how that effects human metabolism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are in way over your head.

The assumptions behind that statement are so misguided that it's astounding.

laffin' some more

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are in way over your head.

The assumptions behind that statement are so misguided that it's astounding.

laffin' some more

Still waitin' on that cortisol lecture/explanation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consistently burning more calories than you take in equals weight loss.

Cite a single study that has ever demonstrated a near 100% correlation between caloric reduction and weight loss per se. IE, 3500 calories removed from the diet equals one pound of fat lost .

Most, if not all (except you), can see the difference between what I said...and what you said. 'Consistently' (over time) burning more calories than one takes in will result in weight loss. That's very different than saying cutting 3500 calories out of your diet will result in one pound of fat lost.

my side is hurting from laffin'

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The best exercise is to push...........

yourself away from the table.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In typical fashion TAK is out Ankle Biting in full force,

Dude, give us a break, We're developing some real scar tissue down there,

Spend some time learning where Kent state is,

Then start your own thread on nutrition.

DIYguy, thanks for your time, good read.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.