Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i know a guy who killed a eland on his lease, they had no idea where it came from.

Texas is almost like Noah's ark, somewhere there's at least a few of just about everything.

Otto is my co-pilot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I saw a really nice buck up on an upper deck fly-over on I-35. It was layin' there all field-dressed and all. Somebody was p.o.ed when they got home.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
We've killed two fallow deer and one sika on the place over the years. Nobody around here has any that we know of.

I killed 4 emus in my front yard a couple of years ago. 12 gauge #4's are bad news from 15ft.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. The last lease near Sonora had at least a few Axis & Blackbuck on it, and had never been stocked. The new one is near Junction, so I'm curious as to what might shop up, besides the obvious deer & hogs smile

Someone posted a story on the fire a few years ago, where he was working on his Texas lease, looked up and saw a bison charging them. IIRC the guy had a .300 mag handy, and emptied it to stop the shaggy beast. I forget the member's name, however.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The landowner on my deer lease said he'd be thrilled if we shot a lion. I'm looking for a 400mm lens, myself smile

Yep. I'll be packing my big professional grade Nikon SLR & a Nikon 400mm lens
In my bow blind this year. I'd much rather get a photo than shoot one. I don't think I would ever shoot a mountain lion on our ranch unless it was a self defense type situation.

Fortunatly, they only like to eat joggers & tree huggers out in California. ;-)
The female that walked right by me in my bow blind last year paid no attention to me whatsoever. She had her nose to the ground & was Definately stalking deer.

BTW, my Dad had a HUGE Red Stag walk right by him while he was in a big ole John Deere tractor planting cotton last year. I couldn't ever get a shot at it, myself. Free ranging exotics are fair game in Texas.
Anyhow, this Red Stag committed Hary/Cary on our neighbors ranch by trying to attack its reflection in a huge plate glass window. Probably scored 325 easy...
I keep hoping some Bison on a Ranch up the Brazos River from our ranch will "escape"
I sure would like to stick an arrow in a big ole Buffalo with my Recurve..... Or dig my old Hawken .54 out of the safe....

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/13/12.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They like to eat the biggest buck on the place, which is what I want. I heard m. lion tenderloin is pretty good. One could sure make my day.

PS I would pass on round balling a bison, even with a .54.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/13/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear ya. I'm getting too damn old to try & out run a Bison Bull in my Tony Lamas. And my Hawken wouldn't make a very good club after firing your one and Only bullet...

I've been freight-trained a time or two by one of our big Angus bulls while working cattle in our corrals. Our bulls with a nasty disposition usually end up becoming hamburger steak.

BTW, You just have to be able to make a quick 90 degree turn to out smart cattle. I hear that the big ole Bison bulls are considerably smarter.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/13/12. Reason: spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The indians didn't have partitions, but they rode well.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/13/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck of an exhibit on Mountain Lions just opened today at the Museum of Northern Arizona.

http://www.musnaz.org/exhibits/mt-lion/index.shtml

[Linked Image]

Over the last two decades, there has been a dramatic rise in large cat sightings on the urban fringes of numerous Western cities. We continue to be fascinated with the grace and power of these magnificent creatures as our communities grow, outdoor recreation becomes more popular, and we move closer to mountain lion habitat. Mountain Lion!, opening at the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff on Saturday, September 15, 2012 through Sunday, August 4, 2013, seeks to create an understanding of the nature of these predators and their long history of relations with humans.

Known by many names�mountain lion, cougar, puma, panther, ghost cat, and catamount, depending on the region�these cats are solitary hunters at the top of the food chain, who rely on their camouflage, superb eyesight, and speed to survive. Mountain lions often travel 25�30 miles a day in search of a meal, with the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere.

Today, cougars are among the largest meat-eating animals in North America. Like other predators, they play a critical role in the balance of nature and contribute to biological diversity and a healthy environment.

Mountain Lion! examines the history of these large cats, starting in the Ice Age, when they roamed this continent along with the giant North American Lion and Smilodon, popularly known as saber-tooth tigers.

Hunting techniques, habits, and physical features which have allowed them to survive for thousands of years are explored, along with differing cultural perspectives towards cougars, and changing opinions. This exhibit also delves into how to read cougar behavior and practical tips on what to do if you encounter a mountain lion in the wild.

Mountain Lion! was developed by the Center of Southwest Studies at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado, in partnership with the Colorado Division of Wildlife, to address the need for greater public awareness. The Museum of Northern Arizona is able to host the exhibit with support from Arizona Commission on the Arts, BBB Revenues from the City of Flagstaff, and Flagstaff Cultural Partners.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Fortunatly, they only like to eat joggers & tree huggers out in California. ;-)

Not nearly enough buddy. Not nearly enough.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
They like to eat the biggest buck on the place, which is what I want. I heard m. lion tenderloin is pretty good. One could sure make my day.

They're completely unchecked in Ca. And as such, have had a detrimental effect on deer populations.

Also end up in some fairly urban areas. Look at a satelite map of Palo Alto, Ca and tell me if it looks like it'd be thick with lions. But it is. 4 or 5 have been tranq'ed or killed in the last few years there. Healthy ones typically over 2 years old. Just spreading their wings. Their territory is getting too full of lions for their own good.

Shoot 'em when ya can.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I read alot about the Mountain Men and old trappers. When they would enumerate their favorite meats, Mountain Lion is always close to the top. I haven't tried it yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
We've killed two fallow deer and one sika on the place over the years. Nobody around here has any that we know of.

I killed 4 emus in my front yard a couple of years ago. 12 gauge #4's are bad news from 15ft.

Biggest chicken dinner's I ever heard of!

laugh

Reminds me of this.

"You want 4 fried chickens and a coke?"
"And you want white toast, dry?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poBGgBKpqQw

A true classic.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 09/16/12.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD

For a quickie on gene frequencies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy%E2%80%93Weinberg_principle
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_genetics

Thanks, Brent.
Interesting stuff.
Very!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by RIO7
having read this whole thread, i find everyone comments intresting, i live on a large ranch in south tex. and seeing lion is not rare, we find lion kills once or twice a month,and see a lion at least every couple of months,they do kill hogs and deer, we dont shoot them here as i like having them on the ranch, its great fun to see them now and then and they really dont do any imporant damage to anything.in all my years as a rancher i have never seen a black lion. rio7

They will totally decimate your annual fawn crop! We don't shoot them either, on our ranch. But they will affect your deer herd population, eventually. Fawns are much easier prey than baby piglets.

No hogs here, except captive of course.
I've seen lots of bobcat, definitely fair game when opportunity presents itself, but I'd let a lion walk, too, in most cases.

I'd much rather have the occasional lion cruise through than wolves. They'll get whatever I have handy.... even if it means chase across the field with the truck to run 'em down.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i know a guy who killed a eland on his lease, they had no idea where it came from.

A teacher aquaintance had a zebra stallion show up on their ranch outside of Comfort, no ear tags or other sign of ownership, nobody was missing a zebra. Eventually they shot it on account of it was attacking their calves, made a nice rug IIRC, I forget if they ate it or not. .

And over the years I've seen nilgai, scimitar-horned oxynx, blackbuck, and fallow, axis and sika deer running along Texas roadways.

I dunno if them fancy hair sheep (Corsican?) count grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like very well trained dogs there Birdy. Usually they're wanting out of the area, yesterday.

My heelers? More like blissful ignorance on their part grin I dunno if a lion smell is substantively different from a regular cat to a dog that has never run into one.

The one dog especially sticks unusually close when danger is possible, so much so that when she starts dogging my footsteps while looking off into the brush I know that SOMETHING sizeable is out there, usually hogs, sometimes a trailing coyote.

Smart move on her part, I'm the one with all the firepower grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I killed a nilgai on a friends ranch that's about nine miles out of Hunt on the way to Leakey. He had never seen one around before and hasn't seen one since. That was in 1995.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The lion trappers out in W.Texas had incredible(to me) numbers of lions taken this last year. The one guy has access to 100s of thousands of acres out at Alpine, Marfa, Ft.Stockton, etc.. Over the years he has accounted for hundreds of lions. Zero blacks. He gave me 3 skulls I'm cleaning right now. I've seen lions once in Erath Co., once in Real Co. and one in Williamson Co. They are out there.

Last edited by poboy; 06/03/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you Mean Cougars?

If so...

Yep

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,051
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.