-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Electronic calls were illegal in Montana, so I paid 'em no mind when I lived there. Now I live in western New Mexico, where several varmints abound and electronic calls are legal.

I want to get a good one � the best one. I don't want to wish, after I've swallowed hard and paid all that many dollars, that I'd bought the other one instead. Apparently, those from FoxPro and Wildlife Technologies are top of the heap. If you're experienced with either of these, I'd like to hear your brags and bricks about 'em � which one you'd get (and why) if you were buying it with my money, and which one you'd avoid.

And which of their sounds would you recommend for the high desert of western New Mexico (in the neighborhood of 7,000 feet MSL, with coyotes and occasional bobcats and mountain lions out there among the prairie dogs and jackrabbits)?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I have a Foxpro FX3 and would say they are tough to beat. They are about to come out with a new model, but the FX3 will be upgradeable for the difference in the price. As far as sounds I'd talk to AP Jones at allpredatorcalls.com. He'd be able to recomend the correct sounds for you area.

As far as actual operation. The Foxpro has great volume and an easy to use remote. And since you can program it through your USB port on your computer, you can add just about any sound you want. They have there own forum at gofoxpro.com. You should be able to get all your questions answered there. PM me if you have any more questions.

Goodluck

Alex

Last edited by Quaka Wacka; 06/14/06.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
KH - On the Foxpro forum, you will find links on brand comparisons for different procedures and operating features. I kind of respect a company allowing this on their forum. Gives me a clue as to the confidence they have on THEIR product.

Recently e-mailed them to ask, "About what percentage of the FX3 has to be returned to "tune" engineering and manufaturing glitches?"

The answer I got was they didn't know, as they didn't keep track of percentages, but their focus was on the best turnaround they could possibly do to satisfy customer. The guy also told me, "If I had to guess, I would say we have about 5% on any new technology were introduce."

Sounded like a good answer to me. I believe there is no doubt they have the best repair service and warranty in the field!

Last edited by remseven; 06/14/06.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, I don't have any experience with WT Calls. However, I have no reason to believe they are not extremely good. I do have some experience with an older FoxPro and they work also. The one thing that you really want to consider, is the weight and portability of the unit and the nod here goes to FoxPro by a wide margin. I don't think you want one that you can't pack out hunting and carry your other stuff as well.. I think if I were you, I would strongly consider the new FX3.. All Predator sells both of these calls plus about all of the others and provides good service. The owner, AP Jones can assist you in your selection and will provide you with good information along with recommended sounds based on experience in the field.. Please give him a call and discuss your needs. All Predator Calls

While I havent told you much, I do believe this link will help you..

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
FoxPro has a nice product with GOOD customer support. They use their product and it seems to work well for many people. WT has a following too. However, the owner needs to attend a 20 year long charm school. I won't get into specifics here, but I've NEVER had dealings with a person this rude.

FWIW, I do not own either call at this point in time, but I have had dealings with both owners. MI VHNTR

IC B2

WT top of the line...great sound library, and sound.

FP..second in line....with plenty of good sounds and features....I own one by the way.

The difference and the big one at that is......customer service! and of course price.

I first looked at the WT, but Bill the owner pretty much talked me out of it over the telephone.

I ordered a FP, and when I got it had a defect that effected the remote. I called Mike and he over-nighted me one that I got in two days, and he said send the other back when ya can. Hows that for customer service from a fella that didn't know me from Adam?

Now with that said I have heard other folks say they had great dealings with WT and Bill.

Good luck and let us know how ya do.

Predator Call Collector by addiction!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience is pretty much the same as Alaskan Yoters.

The WT is a good unit but you have to deal with the owner, and that isn't a good thing in many cases. Anyone who has spent some time on the various predator hunting boards will have a strong and not necessarily good opinion of the guy.

The Foxpro is a quality, compact unit, that the company will stand behind. They are a fast mover in the industry, always trying to improve the product. If buying new today, I'd go with the Foxpro.

I'd give both companies a call and see who gives you the best feel about their product.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go FoxPro FX5 and never look back! I have been using a FX3 for the last year last year, and, have had other models of FoxPro and have great success with the company and the product. The WT is an excellent product overall. There are some drawbacks regarding intial expense, size and weight, and cost of new sounds. The WT company to customer service prevents them from being in the running IMHO. I can also recommend AP Jones at allpredatorcalls.com as an excellent source for all things predator hunting related. Good guy, great service.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ditto on the FX3 or FX5 - personally I don't think I'll ever use all the calls I already have.

I hunt bobcat and coyotes and have plenty of slots left of other sounds.

Spot

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW, there was an article in American Hunter (mighta been A.Rifleman) in the last 6 months or so rating the
top 5 E-calls. IIRC, the author rated FoxPro tops.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Bender those are subject depending on the magazines best intrest and advatisers. Not to disput the out come, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Predator Call Collector by addiction!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, there's a guy here on 24 who has the Wildlife tech call. [color:"brown"] Model70Guy. [/color] It appears as though he hasnt seen this thread. Maybe PM him, as he has altta experience with it..on 'yotes I think.

I was contemplating purchase of said call myself a few months back, so I called the fella Bill Martz, head of WT. He played some moose calls over the phone. I was impressed...but I dont own one, so thats the best I can offer.

He is a bit boastfull and quite proud of his product.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have the FX3 am very much amazed at what it will do and have the JITB attractor also.

The only thing I'd do different,is I would have initially crammed it full of sounds,because in retrospect,it's memory capacity is amazing.

Everyone who has played with it,wants one.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,
I have one of the earlier FX3's to come out of the factory. It had some remote control distance issues. One call to FoxPro and Steve Dillon broke his neck to get it repaired and back to me , pronto! I think FoxPro has the best customer support of any outdoor product that I've ever used or heard of, and that's a bunch!
In use, the FX3 is a stellar product, just get the right sounds for your intended quarry. I can also recommend A.P. Jones' outfit, but with your credentials, I'd call Mike Dillon. I know how the game is played, I used to be part of it years ago when I repp'ed for Winchester(Olin).
I won't comment on WT's owner/designer, I was brought up "that if you can't say something nice, well......"
There's too many good things to say about the Dillons and FoxPro's FX series, I don't see how you could be dissappointed.
1D

Y
Y
379 Peterbuilt, I sold my Foxpro after I went out with Model70 Guy and his WT. More volume and way better sounds. The WT is just a great little unit. Last fur season my partner and I switched between a FX3 and a WT on each stand and did great. But at the end of the season when all that was left was coyotes that had been hunted hard and had heard every crappy call on the market it was the WT that was bringing coyotes in not the foxpro. And it was doing it consistantly. If I can help with any more WT questions let me know, I'll try and help.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just had a long, informative chat with FoxPro's Mike Dillon. As things stand now, I'll get a FoxPro FP-3 soon � probably a WT caller later.

Ideally, for the sake of my readers (several articles each in Varmint Hunter Magazine and Smokelore, and field reports in my future book on varmint-hunting), I'll eventually try both callers. Which one I keep will then depend on how they compare, over-all, for me.

I'll still want to have the immense benefit of your in-put, of course. Remember, I have to start below scratch, so I need all the help that I can get.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 3,934 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.