Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just obtained a new 12 cup stainless steel percolator from Cabela's using earned points. Appears to be well made and sturdy, Followed directions for first pot..1 tablespoon coffee for each two cups of water. Used Folger's ground Colombian coffee. I thought the outcome was okay, but my wife thought it was "gacky". I've drank all kinds off campfire coffee from boilers, drip, percolators etc.. and never had a real problem. Any suggestions? No...I'm keeping my wife!

Thanks in advance.

ROUNDUP

Last edited by Roundup; 06/06/14. Reason: spelling

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You'll want a relatively coarse grind.

If you want to increase the strength of the coffee, use more grounds, not more perc time.

Both of these things help avoid over extraction which is too easy to have happen given the high temperature of the liquid being recirculated.

Colombian coffee is relatively heavy on the palate. I don't know if that's gacky. Kenyan or Ethiopian coffees have a brighter taste and lighter mouth feel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and watch the little rivet that holds the lid on at the hinge. They have a tendency to work out.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Roundup
Just obtained a new 12 cup stainless steel percolator from Cabela's using earned points. Appears to be well made and sturdy, Followed directions for first pot..1 tablespoon coffee for each two cups of water. Used Folger's ground Colombian coffee. I thought the outcome was okay, but my wife thought it was "gacky". I've drank all kinds off campfire coffee from boilers, drip, percolators etc.. and never had a real problem. Any suggestions? No...I'm keeping my wife!

Thanks in advance.

ROUNDUP

Coarse grind.

Don't buy things that say Folgers on the can.

Don't leave it percolating too long.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks in advance.

ROUNDUP

Coarse grind.

Don't buy things that say Folgers on the can.

Don't leave it percolating too long.

Travis

I don't drink fancy coffee but, I buy whole bean and grind my own. Makes a huge difference in the taste on how much I grind it. Good advice on course grind.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can't grind your own, or even if you do, (Kings Sooper, City Market, Kroeger) carries filters for perculators. They are square, with a hole in each corner that folds over to the center of the basket pipe after the grounds are put in and then a hole in the center to go over the same pipe before you add and grounds.

I usually use one heaping teaspoon per cup of water, perc for 15 minutes.

Of course the first reply to this is that paper filters make the coffee taste bad.

If you are a Folgers drinker like me, you won't notice it. If you pay $20 a pound for your coffee, you might.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Only thing I use coffee for is my rubs ... taste great on chicken and pork! smile

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you want outstanding coffee try City Market, You have to learn how to use but a rich smooth coffee. Krogers has it

Last edited by LFD; 06/06/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
good old fashioned 8 o'clock coffee. bring it to a boil over high heat then back it off to a simmer once it starts to perk. let it perk 10 minutes and your good to go.

If your buying a regular grind for a drip maker get the paper filters.

R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks to all for your great replies.

I believe my major error was in letting the perk go on for too long plus at too high of a temperature.

Probably explore getting a lighter blend of coffee. Years ago i gave my father a 2 lb. can of Kenyan coffee I ordered from the old Herter's catalog. It made excellent camp coffee. Probably look into a coarser grind. Used to use it for an old coffee boiler.

Grind my own? Maybe. Local super markets have grinding facilities in their coffee sections.

Just for drill I have an old drip coffee maker handy.

Somehow coffee tastes better in camp especially at altitude. Partnered with a good bourbon or my yearly cigar it makes for a great evening.

HAPPY TRAILS!

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Somehow coffee tastes better in camp especially at altitude. Partnered with a good bourbon or my yearly cigar it makes for a great evening.

HAPPY TRAILS!

I haven't made any at altitude, so this is purely conjecture. But maybe it's better because at high altitude the water boils at a lower temperature.

R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman

HAPPY TRAILS!

I haven't made any at altitude, so this is purely conjecture. But maybe it's better because at high altitude the water boils at a lower temperature.

That may well be true. I was thinking more about the surroundings at timberline during elk season, the cool evenings, the freshness of the air, the company of good friends, the glow of the campfire, etc.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I picked up the ambiance angle, but the "especially at altitude" phrase caught my eye.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

National Coffee Assoc. agrees with you.

Originally Posted by NCA
Water Temperature During Brewing

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, underextracted coffee while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. If you are brewing the coffee manually, let the water come to a full boil, but do not overboil. Turn off the heat source and allow the water to rest a minute before pouring it over the grounds.

http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=71

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To get more flavor I use the wire mesh basket that came with a B&D coffee maker. The old grounds do have to be dumped out and it must be washed out. This would be too much work for camping.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have large 5L cabelas stainless that works best with a paper towel as filter and 8 o'clock out of the bag. Turn it to simmer for 8 minutes or so, as soon as it boils. Then let it sit for a couple minutes to settle. Some take the grounds out right away.

The large bulk folgers is not my first pick. By accident I tried a large can of South American (yellow and red) brand from the Asian / international market on a last minute only place I could get to stop by last season. It's a stronger espresso labeled coffee that everyone at camp actually asked what brand it was because it tasted much better than usual. Same water, same perc, just different coffee.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mikem2
I have large 5L cabelas stainless that works best with a paper towel as filter and 8 o'clock out of the bag. Turn it to simmer for 8 minutes or so, as soon as it boils. Then let it sit for a couple minutes to settle. Some take the grounds out right away.

The large bulk folgers is not my first pick. By accident I tried a large can of South American (yellow and red) brand from the Asian / international market on a last minute only place I could get to stop by last season. It's a stronger espresso labeled coffee that everyone at camp actually asked what brand it was because it tasted much better than usual. Same water, same perc, just different coffee.

Cafe Bustelo?

[Linked Image]

R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

HAPPY TRAILS!

Dry pinto beans take forever to cook at 5200 feet.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

HAPPY TRAILS!

Dry pinto beans take forever to cook at 5200 feet.

That's definitely because the water boils at a lower temperature.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mathman
That is the coffee brand.
Really good flavor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,592
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.