Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Remy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I got a decent deal for my new DPMS LR-308 24" SS Bull barrel. It is an accurate rifle.

I'll use it for ringing steel but if I get a good setup in an open field I will take a deer with it.

I am leaning towards a Leupold FX3 10X because of the warranty. I want to stay well below 800 dollars for the scope, hate the ideal of spending more on the scope then the rifle.

What other scopes should I consider?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I had a budget of 800, I would tray real hard to scratch together a coupe hundred more, and go with the Nightforce SHV.

If not, then my recommendations would be SWFA 3-15x42 MRAD MQ, Vortex HST 4-16x44, or Weaver GST 3-15x50 of you want FFP.

These recommendations assume MILs are the preferred unit of measure. If you want MOA, I would look long and hard at the Vortex Viper HS-LR.

I sure wouldnt handicap the gun with a fixed 10x without at least an elevation turret.

R
Remy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
More like the 600 dollar mark is what I have to spend for scope and rings.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hmm...600 tightens things up a bit. The Vortex Viper HST 4-16 is about 550, an Aero Precision mount is about 80...just a little over for a mil/mil scope and good mount.

Doug at Cameraland looks to have a 4-16 Viper HS-LR for about 400, that puts you in the money with a very decent scope if you like / want MOA.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
swfa.com ss10x

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
anything that is a quality 2-10 if you want to use it for hunting. monarch, viper,minox, etc...
If you are happy at 10x on steel but you take it hunting and need low power in the bush. the 2x will be much appreciated.
I just got 2.5-10 monarch and I am very happy.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Monarch,Viper and Minox all suck ass. Never been in a situation where 2x was appreciated,but I do enjoy Imagination and Pretend...so am all ears.

For a Utilitarian Krunchenticker Glass in a MBR chambering(far left of frame),I'd rather be in fixed 6x Fixed [bleep] Mode over a 10x. 'Course,I rather like that glass on a Baby Krunchenticker too(far right of frame).

[Linked Image]

155 Skinners coupled with copious erector latitude,do take some of the sting outta suffering a [bleep] 308.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Big Boxer, fill in the clueless on the tape wrappings. Focus lock? Water proofing?

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow boxer you are a D... Bag. Do you think, you're a bad arse? I bet you're one of those guys that knows everything and has the best of everything. Let me guess, you wear tactical gear to go shooting yet you were never in the military. Just a Fing poser.
Lol. Too funny.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
cts',

Started off as an inside joke,in regards to unwantonly unscrewing the "lens shade" off with and ending up with objective glass in one's mitts. Multiple pards have done just that and I mentioned from the get-go,that I was gonna circumvent such "urges"and affix both ocular(s) and objective(s) with flair.(grin)

Was color coding glass firstly,then sorta ran outta the prescribed color and went to winging it. (6)6X,(3)10X and a lonely 12X.

[bleep] "fast" ocular focus...I'll never be a fan and like such things static and then some. Ocular lock rings do make me warm/fuzzy,but tape can be ohhh soooooo soothin'.(grin)

Gunned all (3) magnifications cited,on various Krunchentickers and for Utility,nothing touches a 6X. That being said,on a dedicated Play Toy Gasser,I could suffer a 10X...but nothing is as forgiving as 6X.

Never gave thought to taking one outside and seeing how it did in the damp.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now I might just have to give that a whirl,if only to see WTF!

Dre,

I'll feign my "surprise",that you shut right the [bleep] up...in regards to ALL things The Rifle and went right to Whining instead. Congratulations?!? Laffin'!

Ain't it a fascinating Dichotomy,that a guess is the best you can ever do and I'm afforded the luxury of knowing?!? Feel free to use as much Imagination and Pretend you deem requisite,to try to convince yourself that isn't so. Laffin'!

PLEASE find me "mistaken" and I'll happily take the time,to rub your nose even further in your [bleep] Stupidity and grant you another opportunity to wax eloquent on all the things you've almost done,all the wares you almost had and all the places you've almost been. The only thing you shoot is your mouth and Imagination,though in no particular order. Knock it outta da' Park and regale the masses even further with "your" 308 Gasser,it's glass and mebbe even boolits. Laffin'!

You Do Nothing Dumbfhukk Turd Polishers are a [bleep] riot,with your "hard charging" ways and "all" that you "do".

Looking forward to your next Excuse and some fresh Whine.

Bless your heart,you are doing "great"!

Laffin'!

IC B3

R
Remy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the input. I checked out a super sniper hd (they are getting up in price nowadays), nightforce (am already streatching my dollars) I decided to go with a VX3 LR 4.5-14X40.

I used a Leupold vxII 3-9X40 and taken a lot of deer with a 50 cal muzzy and 30.06. 29 minutes after sundown on a cloudy evening I could see the deer thru the scope when the naked eye only seen darkness.

The warranty help me decide too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not a choice I would have made, but not a bad one overall.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Remy,

HD is all but moot to me,as a scope is just a place I keep my crosshairs...until I need 'em. They've never been,nor never will be an Observation Device,in my mitts. The transition from bino's(I drive Zeisseses and Leicers),to reticle,has always been a fluid breeze. I fret erector travel and that in regards to it's latitude,precision and rugged reliability of movement.

Fixed [bleep] have huge travel and amazing repeats sewn right the [bleep] up. I'm not a NightFarce Guy,but they are in fairness,making gains in their adjustments,reticles and sizing.

Have gunned the 4.5-14X in most versions,including 1" and 30mm tubes and 40/50mm objectives...never having found one worth a [bleep]. Their eye-relief is schit and fluctuates madly through the modest zoom range. I'll always go 3.5-10x and always in 40mm,mainly because they are farrrrrrrr more forgiving and versatility conjoins them inherent advantages. Have shot 'em all,on Krunchentickers and Bolt Guns both,of course.

If only to fuel Dre's Imagination and bolster her Pretend. DPMS '10,wearing Lilja 1-8" SAAMI 243Win spout(short throated),so as to kiss a plethora of 105's from within mag constraints. 30mm '14x.

The rifle got much better with a Carbon F/F tube and glass swap. Hint.

[Linked Image]

'Nother version on a boltgun.

[Linked Image]

I've done lotsa thangs with a "lowly" Leupie 3-9x,that "can't" be done and have routinely seen 'em do very nice thangs,so can't/won't cuss 'em. MUCH prefer it's behavior to the '14X's.

Had one(Reupie 3-9x) rattlin' 'round,aboard a Baby Krunchenticker for the entirety of my last 2wk R&R. M1 ele only sweetens the system. Curiously enough,I had a RRA 18" Middie riding the rear floor boards on a Harris swivel 'pod,for the same duration and it wears a 3.5-10x M3. You can prolly see it,in this backseat photo.

[Linked Image]

One of the many advantages of living here in Kansas,is that there are no silly "shooting hours" rulings(save Waterfowl of course,which is Federal),so it's all about soaking ambient light and gunning a reticle that'll make it happen.

As per always,it's tough to beat a Reupold 6x42 there,and their eye-relief and rapid acquisition is the toughest of acts to follow,especially in conjunction with the way they suck in light. Knowing me,I prolly shoot a herd of 'em and upon a multitude of platforms.

51MOA 6x42 erector coax(from 162gr 250yd zero),via base shim and Signature's...if only for conversation.

[Linked Image]

Shoot a MK4 M3 6x as well and am hip on their robustitude,but their BDC cams suck ass and their wrongwayzee revolutions,will [bleep] with heads when I loan it out.

[Linked Image]

Now back to a Krunchenticker Heavy Weight Play Toy,I'd be putting MUCH thunk into how to arrange POA/POI intersection and far and away,the most...for the least,is a Fixed [bleep]. You are tossed a 150MOA++ cookie,outta the gate,in regards to the erector and then you've moves inherent the reticle. That's alotta window of opportunity,for the astute. Hint.

In broad brush strokes and assumin' a Litz drag function upon the 155 Skinner and a pedestrian 2725fps launch of same,wearing a 200yd zero and a worst case scenario sea level atmosphere,like I suffer her in Kansas:

The MQ Fixed [bleep] reticle will letcha' reach the 1000yd line,which is a 10.2 Mil correction. Diagram courtesy of SWFA and to help paint the literal picture.

[Linked Image]

In the flesh at 1K,if only to paint more clearly and of course to hopefully bolster Dre's Pretend. Dope dumped in erector and wind slid upon reticle,to correlate the English requisite upon Ball at said distance,in the condition(s)...all of which she'll haveta Google. Laffin'!

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/203/og3j.jpg[/img]
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/585/vazv.jpg[/img]

Now to frost that reticle latitude and under the assumption of a flat mounting system aboard a Krunchenticker,that generous erector travel will grant 20+ Mils remaining from a 200yd zero,in 223,243 or 308...as a "worst" case scenario,as I've yet to see less. Dre will haveta Google that too,but for them who shoot more than their mouths,they'll immediately savvy the veddy veddy friendly arrangement of that much "up",conjoined with a minimum of 5 Mils on the glass(MQ being 10 Mils,of course).

If only for starters.

You couldn't run fast enough to catch me,in order to give me a 4.5-14x Reupie for free...and I just might bleed Reupie.

Hint.

The Fixed [bleep]/Skinner/Krunchenticker melding,just might be a hoot.

Re-hint.(grin)

R
Remy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Boxer
a 40 percent lighter tube does have me thinking. Taking some weight off the front end would help it handle better.

I hope my future experiece with a 4.5-14x40 be more pleasant than yours.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Siii 6-24.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nobody hates 308's more than I,though I don't know anyone who's had more 308's than I.(grin) Though in fairness,I hate 4.5-14x's more than 308's and I've gone so far as to double dip the disdain.

Do as I say,not as I do.(grin)

[Linked Image]

A 24" heavy contoured 308,is a bitter pill to swallow and I've suffered the [bleep] things from 16" to 26",in numerous contours. It(24") adds largely nothing to the table,in regards to velocity and much compromises handling...while Goat [bleep] balance. Which in all fairness,ain't a very purty picture.(grin)

If it's gonna be a straight up niche Play Toy,you could add lead to the butt to help balance,or opt a different stock to promote same. The mass increase reduces recoil,which aids in chasing trace/impact and that ain't a bad thing,if you can suffer the parcel.

I'd hacksaw the barrel shorter,faster than you would believe and that'd certainly be my opening move.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The '14x may suit you,if you don't touch the erector and leave it at 6x.(grin) Though of course a 308 needs all the [bleep] erector help it can get,in order to arrange distant Dastardly Deeds. It gets uglier even quicker,less a useful subtension reticle...though SFP doesn't make me cringe as badly as it do others. A platform is only as sound as it's weakest link and happiness is only arranged,when all dots is connected.

A chop to 20" and a 6X Fixed [bleep] would make nice gains,in multiple avenues,while saving jingle,which would arrange some Skinners for free.

Win/win.

Hint.

'9s,

The Sightron schit was funny!

Thanks for the humor!

R
Remy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have already been thinking about taking four inches off the barrel but don't want it bad enough to part with the money yet.

I am afraid to change the barrel harmonics.

Slm9s
Mentioning Sightron made me cringe.

SS SWFA, I have been looking up lots of posts and people seem happy with theirs.

I may put one on my next rifle. I want a GII 308.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hacksaws are fairly inexpensive,as are deburring tools.(grin)

To get the Harmonic Faction REALLY [bleep] Whining and hitting the High Note...chop over halfa foot offa the end of an Anschutz 54 spout and listen to the condemnation of both oscillation and constriction. As a given barrel is shortened,it's rigidity increases. Hint.

I do enjoy a good Whine.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's the bottom rifle and still stacks 'em into a tidy knot at the 50yd line. It'll only get better with a 75MOA rail.

[Linked Image]

I'm rather at ease in lopping spouts,especially them wearing loudeners. I'd have 4" of DPMS barrel in the garbage can so [bleep] fast,you'd not believe it.(grin) Never was much into [bleep] around or lingering and rather like to cut to the [bleep] chase.

The upside is...there ain't no downside.

Hint.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This thread gives me a headache.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If a siii 6-24 ffp makes you cringe for shooting steel with a rare possible deer thrown in, well good luck to you. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,622
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.