Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. Think that's a scope tester outer? grin

I'm definitely not a Bushnell guy, but it sounds like that's right up the elite 4200's alley. Where's Roy Finn... wink

I don't know, it's an eye relief required situation. grin

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha, ouch eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That drastic of a change during a shooting string can only be the result of 4 things-

1. Scope went tits up
2. Mounts are loose
3. Action screws are loose
4. Cracked stock

And believe it or not, I've found loose action screws on more than one rifle that had this problem.

It's a proven fact that some people do not need to take their rifles apart...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If a scopes going to take a dump I prefer it's a big one. I had a scope that had some minor problems and I didn't realize it. Sometimes I could get 3 into a nice group and think I had a good load and then I'd get a 2" group. I thought I was the rifle until I had another rifle do the same thing with it on it.

I'm thinking about buying a high ish powered fixed powered scope in something reliable just to do quick swap outs and check a rifle when I'm having trouble finding a load. I once had 2 different variables that wouldn't hold a group and swapped one for another and figured it was the rifle. Both scopes were still holding 3 moa or better but weak springs or something on one and a slightly bent tube on the other and the reticles didn't always recenter right after recoil. For the ammo burned messing with those two I could have bought a 10x super sniper or something.

What would everyone recommend for a reliable fixed power scope at a moderate price? Something in the 10-16x range. A load develop scope that I could swap out for another once the load is figured out.

Bb

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well my experience has been good and bad.

I had a forum member that worked for Zeiss offer to replace the scope with an HD 5 . It had a lot of sentimental value as I have been to Africa twice with it and also used it to take a grizzly. I declined his very kind offer.

I sent the scope in Dec 27 arrived at Gentec( Canadian repair depot) on Jan 10 2014.

After 19 weeks they offered terra which I refused. I just do not want that little eye relief at high power.

I suggested an HD5 ( plus I would give some money) which they refused.

They apparently are having trouble getting the parts, It has now been 22 weeks and they hope to have it back soon. Communication has been less than stellar.

I am not writing this to belittle Zeiss as I own several of their products. I write it as I use this forum to find out information and I would want to know that a conquest repair would take so long if I was planning on having the scope back for a hunt. As I stated if 20 -25 weeks will not work for you they will offer a new Terra.

As I said, good and bad

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zeiss earned it's reputation by producing quality products in Germany.
To stick the Zeiss Brand name on Asian made schit just to meet a "price point" is about the stupidest move they could make.
We are not all stupid enough to fall for that.

No more Zeiss in this house as one cannot trust the maker to let one know where it was made and by whom.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I just had a new Conquest 3-9x40 go tits up after 60 rounds on a 350RM. Same sort of story, shooting sub moa groups and it went south all of the sudden. I completely missed a 16" target twice at 100 and when I got it back on paper it was shooting 3"+ groups.

Time to grab the spare Leupold....

Anything can go tits up my friend. I just had a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 take a chit last month...Chit happens whistle

Oh cripes...just as I was thinking about a variable for a 30/06.Not like I don't know any better....generally, variables suck. smile

Back to the fixed power drawing board.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,854
Posts18,497,037
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.