Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well we've heard from all the internet experts just how inaccurate the bottle necked cases are, and how worthless Olde Eynsford powder is...
Well it's a good thing them boys got big post counts cuz other than that they got nuthin..
Dan T designed a 44 money bullet for the 19 twist shilohs.
Yesterday evening after the Big Hill match I loaded 20 cases with that new bullet cast by Big Sky Components in Miles city, sitting on top of 76 grs 2 f Eynsford, a .030 Walters wad, and a Remington 9 1/2 primer. (yeh I know them primers ain't no good either)
Kurt 71 spotting, we had sun in our eyes, and a variable wind from left to right requiring 9-15 minutes correction.
Oh yeah this was out of a Shiloh #3 with that evil ol military butt, shot sitting from crossticks.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bravo !

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cripes, I've had days when I couldn't do that at 50 yards....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very impressive.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow!!!! The campfire has it's own "Billy Dixon". Just flat out impressive.

Doc

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice shooting. I'll be heading to the Billy Dixon shoot in SW Colorado at the end of the month, with a couple of pards. Closest target is 1188 yards, farthest 1500. Not sure my rifle and sights will reach that far, but I'll give it a try. I've never shot over 1000 up to now.

I'll be shooting my lowly 45-70 Browning, with a 535 gr. paper patched money bullet going 1370 fps with 80 grs. of Swiss 1.5. Bone stock rig, except for a tuned trigger.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, teach me how to do that!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Given the conditions,....it's the tight elevations that look so impressive, from these weak, aging eyes.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do what?

Not being sarcastic. This stuff isn't rocket science. To be successful shooting BPCRs, and specifically making the transition from modern firearms, requires an open mind and a bit of humility. Trying too hard to extrapolate from years of experience with modern arms tends to lengthen the learning curve.

As does making decisions based primarily on the cool factor.

Just observations and opinion based on my experience. I make no claim to guruhood. I leave that to others.

Paul

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Greg, yes the lack of verticle is amazing, but I've been getting that with Eynsford lately.What impressed me the most out of it, is the fact there was no load developement, just guess and by golly with this much powder. Dan had said it would work best with 2 grooves exposed so that's where I started.And having no sight setting for that target with this rifle to even get close to start. It'll be interesting to see what happens when there's time for load developement.
Mike you get here in time before the match and I'll see what I can do..
Paul have fun over there at the BD match , but be forewarned, those guys don't like blackpowder,and don't have much use for anybody that shoots it, and for gods sake don't mention that you even ever owned a Shiloh. And unless you wanted to be called some sort of liar don't even mention the even chrono numbers you get with bp...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a relative newbie I'm humbled..outstanding!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon my ignorance, which shots are we looking at here? All 14, the 3 nestled together..?

No matter, just seeing that at 1000 yards is an accomplishment...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ranch, thanks for the "heads up" re the BD. The bulletin says:

"Lead bullets and iron sights. Single shot rifles with external hammer or lever action with tubular magazines, any safe powder charge".

Plenty of room for interpretation, as you noted.

So what are their "preferred" rifles, if they don't like Shilohs?

Damn, I wish there were more BPCR interest in these parts. Gun friendly as heck, but very little interest in BPCR or any form of organized long range. It's mostly shotguns, cowboy, and "tactical". Millions of acres of desert, and the longest established rifle range is 200 yards, except for a small BPCR gong range to 500, for which we are grateful. Go figure, I sure don't get it.

Paul

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Ranch, The wagon is being packed right now, departure for the morning.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 70 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.