Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
I think the owner, maybe a bit tactless in delivery, has a valid point.

What if a triathlon was held and some dude just does the last leg only - and wins?? Fair? Or will the others be looked at as sore losers?

This is an apples to oranges comparrison. A triathalon is a single event, not three seperate events like the Triple Crown races.

None of this is really the point though. He is a sore loser simply becasue he entered the Triple Crown series knowing full well that if he made it to the Belmont he would face fresh horses (which is what would have made it so inspiring had CC been successful) and he didn't voice any of this until after he lost the Belmont.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by jwp475

Derby dude there has always been rich owners that did not know what it takes.

That maybe true but today's owners are not that rich. This is a very, very, very rich man's or woman's game. I doubt DAP are that rich.

There's no money in race horses it's strictly a rich hobby.

There is a lot of money being made by a lot of people in horse racing, but I agree that most owners do not make any. However, at the same time most owners hire every single thing done with their horse(s), and the truth is they aren't no more horsemen than the Man in the Moon. With that being said I've known several who did most of the work themselves and made a little. They are in the exception, but it does happen. FTR...not every horse that is successful cost a million bucks to buy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by jwp475

Derby dude there has always been rich owners that did not know what it takes.

That maybe true but today's owners are not that rich. This is a very, very, very rich man's or woman's game. I doubt DAP are that rich.

There's no money in race horses it's strictly a rich hobby.

Derby Dude have you ever owned a race horse? I actually do own a couple and there is money to be made at all levels of racing especially breeding them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is truly a duma azz. Much too old to be learning the lesson of how to keep one's mouth closed. I would agree with the host . . . he was certainly celebrating long before the race began, (as would any red blooded American) and TUI (Talking under the influence.) I know where of I speak. I have plenty of personal experience in the area, and on this forum! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He manned up and apologized today. Myself I would have spoke even worse about the Jocky Club of America's archaic rules.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the jockey cost CC a second place finish.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
I think the jockey cost CC a second place finish.

Nope the front foot injury coming out of the gate cost California Chrome the race.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It was a nasty looking foot.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A very good summary of this year's Belmont Stakes spectacle.

http://longshotsblues.wordpress.com...-gate-at-belmont-and-there-went-history/

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just enought to distract him I believe. Once the race starts the spleen releases so much oxygen rich blood they can run through many things. Seen and been part of horses running thru bits and injuries which should have stopped them cold. On our old boy the vet gave him injections to numb his ailments prior to putting him down. At 29 Max " Meczet Supreme" danced to his grave with the look of eagles in his eyes. Hardest damn thing I have ever done. ""The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horses ears"

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Best match up I ever seen was Affirmed and Alydar. 3straight races didn't hurt those 2 horses .

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Best match up I ever seen was Affirmed and Alydar. 3straight races didn't hurt those 2 horses .

Sunday Silence and Easy Goer was another good one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Secretariat and Sham...they were cousins btw.

Sham ran some of the fastest times ever in the Derby and Preakness, but got beat by a horse that still holds all three record times.

Toss out the Belmont, Sham just broke down in that race from the blistering pace.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Point Given was a heck off a horse also.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella
A very good summary of this year's Belmont Stakes spectacle.

http://longshotsblues.wordpress.com...-gate-at-belmont-and-there-went-history/

"And say what you will about owner Steve Coburn, NBC�s antics were infuriating. You don�t rush in just seconds after the conclusion of a race to get a comment of any owner who has just lost a race much less one that was one leg away from winning the triple crown, especially a new owner that just entered racing......Usually the network having these three races would focus on the winning connections not immediately go to the loser, even if they had won the first two legs. To me this was like almost antagonizing Chrome�s owner."

This writer is full of chit. Look at the post race coverage of the other Belmonts where a horse lost after winning the Derby and the Preakness. This year's Belmont played out just like those; all the attention was on the potential Triple Crown winner, which co-owner Steve Coburn loved and promoted, so of course all the attention was on this same horse when he lost. The only difference is that previous owners had enough class to not behave in the same manner as Coburn did. This writer excuses Coburn's outburst by saying he's new to racing, but in my opinion Coburn had enough years behind him from just plain old living to know how to behave, including knowing how to behave in new environments. However I shouldn't be surprised that a "writer" would not hold someone accountable for their actions though. This is the bane of our society today!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Still not fully over what could have been.

Yes, Secretariat's legendary domination may never, ever be equaled.

Unequivocal, absolute greatness.

A legend for the ages.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a great vid, I've seen it before.

Here's a tear jerker.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Still not fully over what could have been.

Yes, Secretariat's legendary domination may never, ever be equaled.

Unequivocal, absolute greatness.

A legend for the ages.

He was a superstar alright! Citation is worth looking at too. While Man O War did not win the Triple Crown (he didn't race in the Kentucy Derby) he easily won the Preakness and Belmont, and first hand accounts state he was always held back and not allowed to run to his fullest.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Also, Triple Crown winners often ran against small fields in the Belmont due to other horses not wanting to race against them because of how dominating they were.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 1234, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.