Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I suspected just this, as I witnessed GOP in Georgia crossing over to get Cythnia McKinney out in the Dem Primary, and out of office one year.

It didn't make sense that an underfunded political nobody beats the sitting House Majority Leader - I don't care how his position on Boarder Control might be perceived. Before we get TOO excited about getting more conservatives in Congress, consider that Cantor's defeat might be an orchestrated Dem plan to steal his seat. Brat better come on strong and win the General Election, or we've been had.

Eric Cantor's Pollster Blames Democrats For Stunning Loss
By Colin Campbell

Congressman Eric Cantor.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's loss to his little-known primary rival Tuesday night was made all the more surprising by Cantor's own pollster's confident predictions on the race.

Less than a week before Cantor's upset loss, the pollster, John McLaughlin, released a survey indicating Cantor had a 62% to 28% lead over his Republican opponent, Dave Brat. Brat would go on to win by 11% � a huge, 45-point shift that was far outside the poll's margin of error.

In an interview with the National Journal after Tuesday's election, McLaughlin accused Democrats, especially "Dukes of Hazard" actor Ben Jones, of meddling in the race. In Virginia, voters can cast ballots in whatever primary they like. Jones, who once ran against Cantor himself, had reportedly called on Democrats to do exactly that and back Brat.

"Over the weekend Democrats like Ben Jones and liberal media were driving their Democratic voters on the internet into the open primary," McLaughlin said while noting an "almost 50% increase in turnout" from two years ago. "Eric got hit from right and left. In our polls two weeks out Eric was stronger with Republicans at 70% of the vote, but running under 50% among non Republicans."

"Untold story," McLaughlin continued, "is who were the new primary voters? They were probably not Republicans."h

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've said it elsewhere, but that pollster is full of schit.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They wish. Liberals, whether Republican or Democrat, can not admit the truth, if they accept it at all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's the Jesse ventura effect. (jesse is a retard, I understand this)

Nevertheless.

The ballot is basically interpreted as:

Choice A = status quo.

Choice B = not the status quo.

Voters sent a message, thank god choice B also seems fairly intelligent and more conservative than choice A.

Something clever here.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not so sure. Crossover is becoming a strategy that both parties are using to sabotage incumbents in seeming safe seats. As I mentioned, I saw the GOP do it to the ultra wacko Cynthia McKinney who had a district drawn and redrawn specifically for her. (As a matter of fact, one or more of her redistrictings were declared illegal by the Supreme Court, and then redrawn once again).

The strategy is to:
1.) Vote against an incumbent to get a politically weaker candidate to face in the General Election (likely here)
2.) Get rid of a real menace for anyone else! (McKinney)

Works only in States that don't tie voter's party registration to primary voting. States vary on that.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's done in every election. It's doesn't matter THAT much.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It's the Jesse ventura effect. (jesse is a retard, I understand this)

Nevertheless.

The ballot is basically interpreted as:

Choice A = status quo.

Choice B = not the status quo.

Voters sent a message, thank god choice B also seems fairly intelligent and more conservative than choice A.

Yes, Dave, but this is only good if Brat beats the Dem in November. Otherwise, the GOP loses a seat, and a senior House member. I'm not a fan of Cantor, but I'd rather have him than any Dem. I will refrain from doing the Conservative hoochie choochie celebratory -screw-the-RINO dance until I see gains in the House and the Senate. I want more conservative leaders, but you better look at the big picture of politics before cheering this one.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I understand, And believe me, the very first thing I suspected when I heard of cantors defeat last night was dem sabotage.

I read enough articles today to sort of calm those worries.

Maybe look up the story on fox news website titled: cantor defeat myth busters edition. (something to that effect)

The article touches on the democrat sabotage theory.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We had this same situation with a Republican State Congressman. He is more or less a career politician, was out of office for a while and finally got elected to the State House last election on Republican coattails. Once he was in he did a number of things to upset conservatives. Getting wind of this a former Dimocrap signed on for the primary and whipped him. Point blank, if this kind of candidate is the best the Republicrats can do they'll continue to get their nuts dropped in their watch pocket!! We're witnessing a grand opportunity to overturn the McCain/Graham Party but it will take more than a few election cycles to do it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It appears Cantors pollster is trying to save face. Not unless there was an in depth analysis done would I believe that. I assume however, that VA is a "crossover state"?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I didn't hear what percentage of voters turned out to actually vote. My uneducated guess is that Mr. Cantor's supporters thought the primary election was "in the bag" and stayed home; while the challenger's supports actually went to polling booth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cantor was in DC pandering to lobbyists. All the while he was getting his proverbial ass kicked in the booth. It's poetry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe it.
Wasn't "crossover" that beat Cantor's man in the Central Committee.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
I don't believe it.
Wasn't "crossover" that beat Cantor's man in the Central Committee.

are your confusing that with "cross dresser "?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished writing my Flathead Beacon column and I analyzed some possible crossover locally. One striking thing I found is that local Democrats barely vote in the primary, much less than Republicans.
If 10,000 GOPers vote in the primary, 20,000 or a bit over will vote in the general. If 10,000 DEMS voted in the primary, then they should have 30,000 in the general.
In short, half of Republicans vote in both, only a third of Dems vote in both.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
It appears Cantors pollster is trying to save face.

That's all this is.

While I don't doubt that there is sometimes a crossover effect, that's not what happened in this case. Republicans just got fed up with Cantor and the tea party activists were able to mobilize their base and get him ousted. Virginia's district 7 is heavily republican, it went for Romney over Obama 57-42% in the last presidential election. Brat will be elected in November, the seat is safely in republican hands. If it were some kind of democrat plot to get rid of Cantor and install a democrat in his place then it's a pretty dumb plan because all they're going to end up with is a much more conservative representative with Brat.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TGriff
I didn't hear what percentage of voters turned out to actually vote. My uneducated guess is that Mr. Cantor's supporters thought the primary election was "in the bag" and stayed home; while the challenger's supports actually went to polling booth.

Turnout was markedly higher than in the PRESIDENTIAL election.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read several statistical studies online of the voting patterns in the race and none suggested crossover, didn't save the websites and now can only find the one below. The bottom line to the article below is - the solidly Republican precincts turned out heavily for Mr. Brat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/u...eat-eric-cantor-probably-not.html?ref=us

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dhimmicrats oppose closed primaries with all the fervor that they do with the voter ID issue. There is a reason............

Sam......

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also heard that after 13 years in the House, and 9 years of state government, the voter's finally figured out that Cantor was Jewish, so they voted him out.

I firmly believe the power's that be would rather have folks believe ANYTHING, including the skullduggery of ruby mining yard gnomes causing Cantor's ouster, rather than have people think that they have the ability to change the system.

The number of defeatists on this meager site is proof enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 27 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,889
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.