-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you ever deer hunt in Minnesota during rifle season, you will understand the kid in the OP. They looove their semi-auto remington 30-06s. Pull the trigger until the deer goes down or is out of view. If you gave them single shots most would starve to death. Public land there is a war zone during rifle season, especially opening day.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just keep shooting until something happens.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I met a guy who said he shot his deer at 450 yards with a .223 AR15. Said he uses a 30 round clip and just walks his shots in until he gets one.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
doubletap - "just walks his shots in until he gets one." This guy walks his rounds from the animals butt into his front end aka Texas Heart Shots. At least with an AR15 and hi cap mags he's able to poke many, many holes in the critter... feel really sorry for the deer however. Homesteader

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RMulhern--thanks for posting that link.

Thanks Shane...I just may have an 06, laser, et al laying around here somewhere...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
A better than average range finder will not accurately judge a critter much past 500 yards. Some will not get close to 500.
My Leicas do ok... but there is always terrain around...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by doubletap
I met a guy who said he shot his deer at 450 yards with a .223 AR15. Said he uses a 30 round clip and just walks his shots in until he gets one.
BTDT on the 223 AR part. Over 500 a couple of times and with irons. But one shot only. Each time.

But most folks think 700 feet is 700 yards and don't have the ability to even break a clean shot off a bench much less in the field.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have about 25yrs under my belt in northern MN as an out of state hunter...

Have met more savvy hunters with bolt actions than what you describe. And a couple of excellent tracker/stillhunters.

If a whitetail is still moving through the bush after you shot, have always been of the opinion that is reasonable to shoot it again--but always willing to learn something new about hunting & shooting...:)

Defend the Constitution
I've seen some mighty impressive shots made by a 30-06 so its more than capable of doing all you ask and more. As for mr long range running shot. I live in country that is wide open, in fact trees don't get in our way, ever. So I have heard that statement
oh about three times a year for the past 40 years or so. I have a standard answer no matter what the caliber is I always say yea that's one flat shooting son of a bitch to witch they almost always reply flattest shooting gun there is. My thinking is if they want to be stupid why not just help them.

I'm good with being a sheepdog
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hartshot
My thinking is if they want to be stupid why not just help them.

I like the way you think.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hard to believe but there are some good,hard core hunters who are a bit naive ballistically. From a success standpoint they will hunt many sophisticated riflemen into the ground.

They are simple savages who know nothing more than Bluebox Federals in 30/06,308, or 270,and have never progressed beyond "hold dead on", and never kill anything much past 200 yards,if that. They don't need to because they understand how to hunt well and get close. Honestly many could not tell you if an animal was 300 or 700 yards away but none of it is important to them,as their shot judgement is pretty impeccable,and they tend to know when and what they can hit.

If you confuse them with the facts about shooting much past 200-250 yards, their eyes may glaze over but they fill freezers and hang horns on the wall every year.

Every time I see such people in action, or see another elk or deer hit the ground, I have to chuckle at myself and others who excruciate over a lot of this stuff and make it more complicated than it needs to be.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Most of us shoot longer ranges on gongs or paper for the sheer excitement. I limit myself to 400 or less because my rifle was built with those ranges in mind. Why do I need a magnum when a 30-06 flys fast enough to open my chosen projectile reliably and deliver enough energy at 400 yards cause sudden death?

I'm not taking anything away from your argument, or trying to make light of it. I agree with you that a savvy hunter is himself the most important tool he carries in the woods. For myself, and I speak only for myself I won't take a shot at quarry I'm not comfortable with taking and so far that's been well short of 400 yards. On the bench is a totally different story.

I'm sure I speak for most on this board when I say there is nothing as satisfying as the sweet sound of a gong singing back to you when you did all your calculations right, dialed in the proper elevation and windage corrections, settled in behind your firearm and gently squeeze the trigger until you feel it buck back against your shoulder. You patiently sit there for what feels like minutes when actually it's a fraction of a second and then you hear it.. That's what does it for me... Bliss

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I speak for most on this board when I say there is nothing as satisfying as the sweet sound of a gong singing back to you when you did all your calculations right, dialed in the proper elevation and windage corrections, settled in behind your firearm and gently squeeze the trigger until you feel it buck back against your shoulder. You patiently sit there for what feels like minutes when actually it's a fraction of a second and then you hear it.. That's what does it for me... Bliss

Well everything except the "buck back against your shoulder". All my rifles have brakes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ringman

Well everything except the "buck back against your shoulder". All my rifles have brakes.

I guess everyone who has these ills has there own medicine for the cure.

I shot a 243 with a brake, and was amazed at how much recoil was missing. The blast on the other hand was very noticeable. If it weren't for the noise, I wouldn't mind it on my 06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it weren't for the noise, I wouldn't mind it on my 06

I used to have a .30-06. It was just as noisy and any other rifle. Guns are loud! I would not consider firing one without hearing protection. I don't know anyone who hunts without some kind of electronic hearing protection. They turn off when you fire the gun and enhance hearing the rest of the time. You know, like binoculars for you ears.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And EVERYBODY knows that the 30/06 is an old worn out cartridge that is hard up to shoot accurately beyond 500 yards!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RMulhern
And EVERYBODY knows that the 30/06 is an old worn out cartridge that is hard up to shoot accurately beyond 500 yards!!

LOL. Its so bad I just turned one of mine into a 338-06 hoping to help it. LOL

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I don't know anyone who hunts without some kind of electronic hearing protection.

Then you don't know a lot of hunters. I wear them when shooting off the bench, but not while hunting. Most of the people I've hunted with over the past 24 years do not. Those whom I know that have tried them didn't like them and do not use them any longer. The largest complaint I've heard is they didn't like hearing every chirping bird, every rustling leaf on the ground magnified in their ears. Mine do not magnify sound, only cancel it once the noise level exceed a certain DB, but I do not wear them while afield. If hearing protection while on the hunt is ok with you, I'm certainly not the one to argue against it. It's just not for me.

As for the brake. The one thing I hate most about them is sharing a range with someone on each side of you using them. They may not be louder in your opinion, but in my opinion even with ear protection they are noticeably louder than a gun without a brake. Anything directing gas out and slightly to the rear to counter recoil also directs the report in the same direction. Not saying they're bad above that, again just not for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then you don't know a lot of hunters. I wear them when shooting off the bench, but not while hunting. Most of the people I've hunted with over the past 24 years do not. Those whom I know that have tried them didn't like them and do not use them any longer. The largest complaint I've heard is they didn't like hearing every chirping bird, every rustling leaf on the ground magnified in their ears. Mine do not magnify sound, only cancel it once the noise level exceed a certain DB, but I do not wear them while afield. If hearing protection while on the hunt is ok with you, I'm certainly not the one to argue against it. It's just not for me.

Personally I don't know many people. The problem you are describing is not adjusting the sound amplification. I turn mine so that it is about like normal hearing. Kinda like leaving a variable scope set on its highest setting.

As for the brake. The one thing I hate most about them is sharing a range with someone on each side of you using them. They may not be louder in your opinion, but in my opinion even with ear protection they are noticeably louder than a gun without a brake. Anything directing gas out and slightly to the rear to counter recoil also directs the report in the same direction. Not saying they're bad above that, again just not for me.

At the range I use both plugs and the electronic muffs. That way I can turn the muffs on and hear those around me. Of course I have to turn them up.

Everyday Hunter
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LoL we are all different. Glad we aren't all the same otherwise we would have nothing interesting to talk about. Glad to hear your hearing protection works for you. Maybe one day I'll give your suggestion another go. Quiet sure the brake will never happen for me though. Just not a fan of the blast. the draw back for me far out weigh the benefits.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.