Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My wife just called and told me the Whittington Center called to inform me that I am on the top of the list for an elk hunter this year! I think I put my name on the list 10 or more years ago.

The options that will work for me are around the first weekend in November or middle of December (around the 13-14th).

They have a hunt available around Oct 14th but I have a commitment at that time already that would be movable but only with great difficulty.

So which would be the best time - middle of Oct, beginning of Nov or middle/late Dec?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Scott

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anytime! But during mid-October in Northern NM they are bugling! That would be far and away the best time. I am assuming they have a resident herd and don't need the snow to come down there.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
There is a resident herd from what I understand.

Looks like a bunch of dinks though laugh

I like the idea of hunting while they are bugling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're looking for a bull, mid-October is the best time--they are dispersed and working the cow herds.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, bull elk hunt.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is a 350 inch minimum on the ranch isn't there? mtmuley

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the spots I hunt is Vermejo that borders them. I'd choose the October hunt, but would not gripe too much with a late hunt if that works better for you. It will be two very different hunts though. The October hunt might be a rut hunt or it might not....I killed a nice bull last year on 10/1 and the bulls had already pulled off the cows by that time. Virtually zero bugling! In 2011 it was still "Saturday night at the disco" on that date. Wifey was "complaining" that she couldn't sleep at night for all the bugling going on (she loved it and said it tongue in cheek)....it just depends on a lot of factors as to whether they are bugling or not at that time. More than likely they will be bugling a little though in mid-October. A December hunt will be totally different. With a resident herd your chances should be excellent then too. The bulls will all be back together by then. When you run up on a herd, you might have a dozen bulls to pick from, or a hundred cows. Be careful and take your time checking out the bulls...there will be plenty of busted up racks by that time. That's just the nature of a late season hunt.

The Whittington Center has a reputation of having a very well managed herd. They are on top of their game, management wise. It should be a great hunt either way. I wish you the very best and hope to see you posting a hero pic later on.

Last edited by Godogs57; 06/12/14.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input. I spoke with the hunt coordinator at Whittington Center and was able to get some more information.

There is a 300 inch 5x6 minimum and last year the "average" was 340 inch 6x6. Sounds like they have some huge elk there and apparently a 400 inch elk was spotted last year?

After further review the two hunt dates that will work for me are:

Oct 11 - 15. This is an end of the rut hunt. There will usually be some bugling. The bull elk are either still with cow groups, off by themselves or small groups. This hunt is physically the easiest. The elk tend to be smaller antlered (a 300 inch elk is small???) because you are typically looking at one to three elk.

Dec 13 - 17. Elk from Vermejo come down into the Center during the winter and join up with the resident bulls. The hunt is more physical due to weather and a little more hiking to check out secluded area's where they typically hide. The late season is when they typically shot the biggest bulls because you definitely get to see several elk at any given time.

Looks like it's going to come down to experience (never been in the field with bugling elk) vs. inches....

What to do, what to do...

Last edited by SWJ; 06/12/14.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you like bugling, etc choose Oct....but they told you the truth on antler size in my opinion. Every spot I hunt around there (hunt three ranches) say the same....biggest bulls on the latest hunts. My best one netted 358 2/8"...taken on the last hunt.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Best of luck to you Scott!

That should be an outstanding hunt!

Regards, Guy

IC B3

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Turns out the Dec hunt won't work for me after consulting with the wife and kids calendars, so I had to pick the Oct 11-15 hunt THIS YEAR.

The Whittington Center's policy is that once you've been selected to hunt, you get first rights the next year. Doesn't appear to be a time limit. But once you give up a hunt, you go back to the bottom of the list.

I am super excited about this years hunt and may have to see what a late season hunt is like next year. Always nice to have a well rounded experience. grin

Last edited by SWJ; 06/13/14.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Go getcha a nice one! Best of luck, and enjoy your hunt! Post pics when you get back

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
White people problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went on the hunt you are going on back in 2010. The guy's description was about spot on for the middle of Oct. You just don't see the big bulls then but I consider any elk a trophy since I grew up in SC.

There was also a wounded warrior there in camp hunting with me that week. I shot my bull the 2nd evening but me and my guide got up and scouted like we were hunting the remainder of the week to see if we could help spot something for the soldier but things went dry quickly. My bull was the best bull seen all week and I�m glad I didn't decide to hold out. grin

The 2nd best thing about looking back at this picture is I am now 85 lbs. lighter! Thanks cross fit.

[Linked Image]

For you rifle looney's .338 Win Mag 225 gr. A-frame. The reason I used that load is I had just got back from BC on a moose hunt where there were lots of grizz in the area. My elk load primarily is a 210 Partition or TSX. The last 2 years I have had luck with the 185 GMX.

[Linked Image]

PASS IT ON!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Beautiful elk there! What part of SC did you grow up in? Was raised there myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Upstate of SC. Laurens Co.

PASS IT ON!
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
C-Roy

Thanks for the info. Paid my deposit today.

Mind if I send a pm your way?

Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1shotnokilz, 69 invisible), 3,394 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,461
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.