Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-counter-isis-boosts-presence-in-gulf/

The Obama administration reportedly is preparing to open direct talks with Iran on possibly cooperating to counter the Sunni militant force seizing large swaths of Iraq and threatening Baghdad, weighing an unlikely alliance in the face of a common foe.

Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday the administration was "open to discussions" with Tehran if they can help end the violence. He told Yahoo! News he would "not rule out anything that would be constructive."

The deliberations come as the U.S. moved more assets into the region in preparation for a possible mass evacuation of Americans. According to U.S. Navy officials, the USS Mesa Verde is moving into the Persian Gulf with about 500 Marines on board, to help in the event of an evacuation.

It is the fourth U.S. Naval vessel to move into the Gulf. The ship will join the USS George HW Bush, along with the USS Philippines Sea, a cruiser, and the USS Truxton, a destroyer. Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said the ships provide "the commander-in-chief additional options to protect American citizens and interests in Iraq, should he choose to use them."

In addition, a senior U.S. military official confirmed to Fox News that the U.S. is sending nearly 100 troops to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad to provide additional security. The embassy remains open, but the State Department already has started to "temporarily" send some embassy staff to other consulate locations in Iraq.

In the face of the growing threat to both the Iraqi government and possibly American interests, The Wall Street Journal reports that a dialogue between the U.S. and Iran on the issue of Iraq is expected to begin this week.

Both sides have publicly committed support to the beleaguered government of Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in recent days.

American and Iranian diplomats are expected to convene in Vienna Monday to begin new talks aimed at curbing Tehran's nuclear program, though it is not clear if Iraq will be discussed on the sidelines of that conference.

The possibility of the U.S. engaging Iran to aid Maliki's government received a cautious endorsement Sunday from one of the president's biggest foreign policy critics.

"Why did we deal with Stalin? Because he was not as bad as Hitler," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. said Sunday. "The Iranians can provide some assets to make sure Baghdad doesn't fall."

Other U.S. officials told the Journal that the possibility of any kind of partnership with Iran in Iraq poses the risk of further polarizing the country along sectarian lines. U.S. allies in Sunni-dominated countries like Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Jordan could also be alienated by the dialogue, while allies in Israel and the Middle East worry that nuclear negotiations could be complicated by the two countries working together.

Graham spoke on CNN's "State of the Union."

The New York Times reported Monday that, according to a senior administration official, the White House still believes there is a brief window for some kind of diplomatic solution. The administration reportedly still wants to see if Maliki's Shiite-led government can work with the Kurds and reach out to the Sunni minority to discuss forming a new unity government.

While the U.S. weighs how deeply to get involved, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria continues to make advances.

Sunni militants captured a town in the northwest of Iraq on Monday.

The mayor of the town of Tal Afar told the Associated Press that his town, approximately 260 miles northwest of Baghdad, was seized before dawn by fighters from ISIS. The town has a population of some 200,000 people, mostly ethnic Shiite and Sunni Turkomen. Tal Afar residents reached by phone confirmed the town's capture and spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing for their safety.

One resident who did give his name, Hadeer al-Abadi, spoke as he prepared to leave town with his family. He said that the local security force left the town before dawn, and local tribesmen who continued to fight later surrendered to the militants.

"Residents are gripped by fear and most of them have already left the town to areas held by Kurdish security forces," al-Abadi said.

The ethnic mix of Tal Afar raises the grim specter of large-scale atrocities by the Sunni militants, who already claim to have killed hundreds of Shiites in areas they captured last week.

Photos posted on a Twitter account associated with ISIS Sunday claimed to show militants carrying out a mass execution of Iraqi soldiers. The images show soldiers being loaded onto flatbed trucks and being forced to lie facedown in a ditch with their hands tied behind them before they were shot. Captions accompanying the photos boasted that as many as 1,700 soldiers had been executed in this way.

Iraq's chief military spokesman, Lieutenant General Qassim al-Moussawi, told Sky News that he believed the photographs were authentic, and said that he was aware of cases of mass murder of captured soldiers in areas held by ISIS.

"The claim by ISIS that it has massacred 1,700 Iraqi Shia air force recruits in Tikrit is horrifying and a true depiction of the bloodlust that these terrorists represent," State Department spoksewoman Jen Psaki said in a statement. "While we cannot confirm these reports, one of the primary goals of [ISIS] is to set fear into the hearts of all Iraqis and drive sectarian division among its people."

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Huh...Iran must have free oil.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy chit

1700 cadets executed?

How many people are in this "ISIS" thing? And how has that been allowed to grow as such an overwhelming force.

I thought Obama was crowing 'mission accomplished' part deaux in 2012 stump talk. Wtf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The New York Times reported Monday that, according to a senior administration official, the White House still believes there is a brief window for some kind of diplomatic solution."

There was a General being interviewed on TV over the weekend that basically laughed at the idea of a political solution.

How do you negotiate with terrorists that are winning?

You can't. They don't care what anybody has to say.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Holy chit

1700 cadets executed?

How many people are in this "ISIS" thing? And how has that been allowed to grow as such an overwhelming force.

I thought Obama was crowing 'mission accomplished' part deaux in 2012 stump talk. Wtf

Same faces, different acronym.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rent-a-arab

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

I think it has more to do with the Iraqi "army" being a bunch of pussies...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
These "rebels" are coming out of Syria & Libya...they are the same rebels the U.S. was supporting during the "Arab Spring" uprisings. They are Al Q fighters...yes, the same ones we're fighting...the situation over there is fubar...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
These "rebels" are coming out of Syria & Libya...they are the same rebels the U.S. was supporting during the "Arab Spring" uprisings. They are Al Q fighters...yes, the same ones we're fighting...the situation over there is fubar...

who knew?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The enemy of my enemy is not my friend. Anyone who thinks we need to ally with Iran needs to lay down the crack pipe.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We need to stay out of all middle eastern chit. Period!
ALL of those [bleep](kers hate us and no matter who we back we end up fighting them within the year yet we continue on expecting a different outcome.

Right now,,, all I see is mzzie's killing muzzie's and for the life of me I can't find anything wrong with that scenario.
Only thing better would be a good ol neuclear cleansing of the entire area.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Keep pouring the weapons to both sides and let them bleed out.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
We need to stay out of all middle eastern chit. Period!
ALL of those [bleep](kers hate us and no matter who we back we end up fighting them within the year yet we continue on expecting a different outcome.

Right now,,, all I see is mzzie's killing muzzie's and for the life of me I can't find anything wrong with that scenario.
Only thing better would be a good ol neuclear cleansing of the entire area.
I'm right with ya, brother...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

That is about the only strategy I can support.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The coalition with Iran makes sense. No one in Iraq is going to get excited about US involvement. The people who need to rise up are the Shiites, and they take their religious leadership from Iran. So Iran is the only one's who will inspire them to fight. And of course, we can help with supplies, intelligence, and training.

I don't think for a minute, this means we're all buddy buddy with Iran. But it couldn't hurt to make things a little better between the US and Iran. Just like our alliance with the USSR in WWII, it's a coalition of convenience, and probably doesn't mean much more than that. To me, it makes sense and it's a smart move. If you don't have the pull, the partner with someone who does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What would Ronald Reagan do?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch

Glass parking lot

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mink

Glass parking lot

actually, he made sure neither Iran nor Iraq won the war......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mink

Glass parking lot

He did NOTHING in response to 241 American serviceman getting killed in the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Like FG said, muzzies killing muzzies not a whole lot about that really bothers me. Only things these sand crickets are gonna understand is watching their sand dunes being turned into glass, then maybe they will take a second look.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.